Using batteries the first time

KWalters
KWalters Registered Users Posts: 2
Should batteries be at maximum charge when first used?  I.e. will it reduce battery life if when I put a load on the batteries for the first time the batteries weren't at maximum charge?

Comments

• Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 #2

A generic question, a generic answer, You don’t want to drain your battery more than 50% of charge. See the generic chart for further info.

• Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    What type of battery are you using ? 

Thom
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 #4
    Most battery manufacturers recommend a full charge before instalation, failing to do so can have a detrimental effect on future performance, the parameters of said charge  vary from one manufacturer to the other, even differing within a single manufacturer for different battery types, the generic answer is yes, fully charge before putting into service, unless instructed otherwise,  always  following manufacturers recommendations, if available.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • bsolar
    bsolar Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    it wont hurt a thing with wet cells .. like Aguarancher said, deep discharge is what you want to avoid and the more shallow you discharge them the better, i'd say to 75% would be ideal ... but no, the first several times you cycle the batts they will just continue to get better, and for me personally i dont like to top them off on a regular basis, i think that hurts them more than it helps, i charge them to 95% or so and if im not using them much i'll nuke them with a equalize charge once a month ..

• jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    A "new" battery has probably been sitting for awhile and has some sulfation - a full charge with verification is beneficial.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Seems like solid advice is difficult to dispense without any idea of what the OP has or needs or wants to accomplish......
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • KWalters
    KWalters Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks for these seven responses.  I'm in an African country where the brand/type options are very limited and good quality stuff is hard to find.  I just bought five12 V flooded lead-acid batteries this morning.  I'm charging them fully before putting them into service, following the manufacturer's instructions as best I can (Chinese translated into English). Thanks for your help!
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typically they are 'commissioned' when the system is setup, by fully charging and equalizing.

I guess these will be 5 batteries in parallel, I would, if possible, fully charge them individually before putting them in parallel.

I would be more concerned about this if they have date codes that don't match (Not all batteries have date codes)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    > fully charge them individually before putting them in parallel.

And then verify that all are about the same in resting voltage or specific gravity.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Seems like solid advice is difficult to dispense without any idea of what the OP has or needs or wants to accomplish......
    Probably wants to make his batteries last as long as possible.
    I doubt he is looking for a tax write off by destroying them as quickly as he can. :)
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    200W panels for grid tie use, cost about the same as 100 battery panels,  Add a decent MPPT charge controller and you are set.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,