Thoughts on a fuse on every battery?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Bumped into this while studying various batteries: https://www.amazon.com/Absolute-ANL200-2-Pack-Fuses-Plated/dp/B005EUTLYW/ref=pd_sim_23_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2QA97RC4TSFY6TCRYDK8

Affordable and easy to use. Doesn't look like resistance would be much. If our host carries the same thing, that would be of interest.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks a little Mickie Mouse to me, wouldn't want to load that up to 100A let alone 200, judging by the size, using the pin hanger hole as reference. A real fuse looks more like this, rated at 300 DC, 125 with 130% FLA time delay, Cricket lighter for size reference .
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    A fuse that opens the circuit on overload, is a good fuse. That style is commonly used in many industrial applications.
    Your question was regarding "a fuse per battery" or not.

Depending upon the battery bank configuration, a 200a rating may be way too big or small.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe ANL fuses are what's used in Prosine inverters for reverse polarity fuse.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    Lessons from the above;
    Electronics must be huge to be real.
    Sometimes fuses should be larger than at other times.
    Probably used in Prosine inverters.

21 years ago, my yellow page ad was dedicated to custom wiring installations. What have I done to convince some folks that I apparently don't know anything?

Broncos look horrible....feeling cranky.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I was wrong the Prosine uses a Littlefuse Mega 125 amp.

Similar size and might work a bit better with the full ring ends. Appears to run about $10, might check with local auto supply as I recall it's used in some cars or trucks.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The ANL fuses are commonly used in automotive stereo installations with intermittent high loads, the problem I believe is that the blades are undersized and will heat up bofore the fuse element blows, therefore losses. There are some YouTube videos such as (250 amp fuse test) for example. But who knows, been wrong before.

About size, when European style contactors first appeared in North America they were criticized for being too small, the Square D equivalent was 10 times the size so it had to be better it was argued. Side by side tests proved that theory wrong, the smaller contactor pulled in faster and more accurately (all contacts making similtaniously) thereby less contact arc, outperforming  the dinosaurs. Today you don't see too many dinosaurs, so big is not necessarily better....but now I've gone off on  tangent.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    Bumped into this while studying various batteries: https://www.amazon.com/Absolute-ANL200-2-Pack-Fuses-Plated/dp/B005EUTLYW/ref=pd_sim_23_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2QA97RC4TSFY6TCRYDK8
    Affordable and easy to use. Doesn't look like resistance would be much. If our host carries the same thing, that would be of interest.
    Those are junk fuses for car stereo installs that belong in an EMP chamber.  only 12v rated.   If WindSun won't carry the Blue Seas Terminal post fuses, I highly doubt they will carry car stereo fuses.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    They do seem a bit small at ~ 2.5" x 3/4". I don't think they could consume significant energy without getting very hot. Maybe a couple watts...tops.
  • softdown
    Photowhit said:
    Sorry, I was wrong the Prosine uses a Littlefuse Mega 125 amp.

Similar size and might work a bit better with the full ring ends. Appears to run about $10, might check with local auto supply as I recall it's used in some cars or trucks.
    Looks like Littelfuse/Bussmans are used in Jaguars and BMWs. Looks to be a decent product with the commensurate price.

It might win a Macgivor award...in theory one could simply use a copper wire with similar ability to carry current.

Also wonder about all of the Littelfuses that are rated for 32 volts. I think the only thing a fuse can deal with is excessive current.....whether it is 2 volts or 240 volts.
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Arc gap is part of a fuse rating. But I suspect that you already know that.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    ^^^ I have done quite a bit of basic wiring. Not even close to being an intermediate electrician. Like to think I compensate by generally overbuilding stuff. I'm sure this 8000' shop could handle 110 mph winds. Others think it was built for the bomb.