3.2v 100 ah cells with no posts!

Options
robartist
robartist Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
Any idea how to busbar these bad boys?  I ordered a ton of these lithium ion 3.2v 100ah from China but when they arrived they have no posts!  Can I even spot weld or solder busbars thick enough to handle the voltage?  I planned on building a 48 volt battery packs with these.  Now I’m not sure what to do or simple return them after a 4 month shipping wait.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They must have terminals.....a picture would be helpful 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    robartist said:
    Can I even spot weld or solder busbars thick enough to handle the voltage? 
    DO NOT WELD OR SOLDER THE BATTERIES!!! Lithium doesn't like that sort of thing and only handles a very narrow range of spot welding.

As Mcgiver said a picture will be nice. I guess they have bolt down terminals?

Something like this?
    Winston LiFeYPO4 Battery

You could buy copper plate and drill out for busbars.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are prismatic cells that require spot welding to terminals.  Don't try to solder as it will transmit too much heat.
  • robartist
    robartist Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options
    As you can see from the pics...I’m not sure why they didn’t add the first time around.  No holes for posts!  
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    You might try some electric vehicle conversion companies and see what they say or have....

I would not drill and tap them yet until you have exhausted all the other options (and probably not then).

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drill and Tap is the last thing I would do.   How well is the post anchored to the foil layers inside ???  Just need the drill to snag for an instant and rippp   there goes your terminal
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never seen that before, have you asked the supplier, mine came with plastic covers over the terminals but were obviously removable.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.