High Wattage Solar Panels

I am hoping someone can help me find panels over 400W. any ideas where i can find a supplier?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    My first question is "why"?

Are you trying to fit as many watts per sq ft/meter as you can? One single panel vs 2 or more smaller panels?

Mono Crystalline panels are slightly more efficient (more watts per sq meter)...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sunpower 435 watt panels. Here's the data sheet. Bear in mind you must buy them from an authorized Sunpower dealer. Not so sure it you have to buy an entire installed array but that's the only way I've ever heard of purchasing them

https://us.sunpower.com/sites/sunpower/files/media-library/data-sheets/ds-e20-series-435-solar-panel-datasheet.pdf

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018 #4
    LG  NeON R modules are basically the same efficiency (watts/sq meter).  Caution - sizes vary.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blee0518 said:
    I am hoping someone can help me find panels over 400W. any ideas where i can find a supplier?
    You are new here, I guess we have tiptoed around what your knowledge base is...

Do you understand that solar panels can be added in series up to 600 and some as high as 1000 volts? Very high wattage can be obtained in this manner.

Large/high wattage panels become difficult to handle by one person, I just brought home 6 - 315 watt panels, they are roughly 77 inches by 39 inches. I'm a big guy and it was about all I could do to get them on my roof.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • OldMan
    OldMan Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    I've found some high-wattage (270-300w) monocrystalline panels on Alibaba. They are not six feet wide. I have one quote of four 280W panels for $611 including shipping to the port of San Francisco. I think I'm going with that, unless a real bargain comes along on Craigslist. Week or two. If I find nothing I like stateside, I'll order the Bluesuns.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OldMan said:
    I've found some high-wattage (270-300w) monocrystalline panels on Alibaba. They are not six feet wide. I have one quote of four 280W panels for $611 including shipping to the port of San Francisco. I think I'm going with that, unless a real bargain comes along on Craigslist. Week or two. If I find nothing I like stateside, I'll order the Bluesuns.
    Isn't the importer responsible for the tariffs? You will want to be sure who is paying them!

Also if you want to use them in a grid tied system they will want to be certified by UL or to UL standards.

So 4x280= 1120 watts for $611 delivered to San Francisco… do you live in San Francisco? That's 54.5 cents a watt.

Solar Blvd I believe is near San Fran and has some UL cert panels in the same price range;
    https://www.solarblvd.com/product-category/solar-panels-systems/24-volt-solar-panels/

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • littleharbor2
    Solar Blvd is in Corona Ca. in So. Cal.  Good prices but shipping will get you for 4 panels. very close to a pallet full shipping price.

If you receive your panels in damaged condition, from overseas, things get time consuming and ugly trying to remedy the problem. 

Buy local pick up your panels in person, knowing you will receive intact, undamaged panels.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• OldMan
    edited November 2018 #9
    Solar Blvd is in Corona Ca. in So. Cal.  Good prices but shipping will get you for 4 panels. very close to a pallet full shipping price.

If you receive your panels in damaged condition, from overseas, things get time consuming and ugly trying to remedy the problem. 

Buy local pick up your panels in person, knowing you will receive intact, undamaged panels.
    I always check Craigslist, first. But I won't buy from a US dealer. Don't like American salespeople. Obnoxious no matter what they're selling. I do my own legwork, my own due diligence and buy accordingly. There are some panels out in Palmdale in what looks like a corp yard (if you see the pix on Craigslist). Might buy from them...long trip, though. Others will have differing methodologies and priorities. I will use mine.

I should add, yes, I am in the San Francisco area, but I am not buying for my home (this IS the RV section) I'm buying for my future home, a 32-36-foot Class A motor home. My 1.xxxxKW of power should run everything but the A/C (parking in the shade has its advantages, as does high-altitude living) 

As much as anything, I want to thwart Trump any way I can (not just tariffs), this is one area I can thwart him. Here are my requirements:
    • 280-300w rated. 24-39v is fine, I use MPPT.
    • MONOCRYSTALLINE only. I have no interest in poly, absolutely none. I'll take perskovite if I can get it. 
    • Five and one half feet long, three feet high.
    • No flexible panels
    • No roof mount. I want them on the ground so I can re-align them. Will have legs.
    I looked at Solar Blvd, but almost all their panels are polycrystalline (please don't argue with me, I want monocrystalline and any advocacy for poly will fall on blind eyes) and I refuse to use something just because it's cheaper. No poly. 'Nuff said. In addition, 10 percent California sales tax kinda kills the pricing, even if I make the drive to SoCal, which also kills the pricing. The Chinese panels (they calculated the tariff on their end) are $611 for four panels. shipped. Don't get me wrong, I'll keep perusing Craigslist but as long as the tariffs are in place, if the time comes to buy and I can't find what I want on Craigslist, I'll buy Chinese, thank you.

• littleharbor2
    I pity the poor sales people who get to wait on you.

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OldMan said:
    •  I'll take perskovite if I can get it. 

None in legitimate production yet.  All that's known for sure, is the lifetime is low for a small % increase and greatly increased complexity.
    http://digital.laserfocusworld.com/laserfocusworld/201811/MobilePagedReplica.action?pm=2&folio=26#pg28 

You are setting some pretty high goals, and appearing inflexible, so I hope you do well.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    OldMan said:

I should add, yes, I am in the San Francisco area, but I am not buying for my home (this IS the RV section) I'm buying for my future home, a 32-36-foot Class A motor home. My 1.xxxxKW of power should run everything but the A/C (parking in the shade has its advantages, as does high-altitude living) 

The #1 piece of advice I can give you - WAIT.  Panels get more efficient, and cheaper, with time.  Only recently have true 20% efficiency panels become available.  No reason to buy them until you need them.  You'd be way better off investing that money, then later buying even better solar and keeping the rest of the $$ from the interest/appreciation.

Once you are ready to buy, consider bifacial.  Ground mount with plenty of room behind the panel is a good use case for bifacial, and can give you a few % increase in efficiency.
  • bill von novak
    OldMan said:

• MONOCRYSTALLINE only. I have no interest in poly, absolutely none. I'll take perskovite if I can get it. 
    BTW if you are into efficiency, PERC cells will probably be the next "big thing."  So far lab cells are showing 26% and cells manufactured on a line are a bit above 22%.
  • OldMan
    Dear boy, the whole point is to AVOID salespeople. Read for content, my lovely.
  • OldMan
    edited November 2018 #15
    OldMan said:

The #1 piece of advice I can give you - WAIT.  Panels get more efficient, and cheaper, with time.  Only recently have true 20% efficiency panels become available.  No reason to buy them until you need them.  You'd be way better off investing that money, then later buying even better solar and keeping the rest of the $$ from the interest/appreciation.

Once you are ready to buy, consider bifacial.  Ground mount with plenty of room behind the panel is a good use case for bifacial, and can give you a few % increase in efficiency.
    Yeah, there are already bifacial panels on Alibaba...I think. I believe PERC is worth the extra $$$.
  • littleharbor2
    OldMan said:
    I'm referring to ANY salespeople you encounter, not just solar related. I imagine you're a barrel of laughs in restaurants as well. I've seen your type before. 

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OldMan said
    Yeah, there are already bifacial panels on Alibaba...I think. I believe PERC is worth the extra $$$.
    PERC is still only a laboratory dream, currently with a short lifetime.  I linked to a trade magazine article about this earlier, but it's your money.    Also beware of Alibaba, other than $2 flashlights, I've not heard any happy stories about it, large sales to consumers always seem to fail, after they cash the check.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• bill von novak
    OldMan said:

Avoid Alibaba at all costs.  I have had about a 30% success rate with them.  PERC may well be worth the extra $$$ - if you are willing to wait.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Having purchased many products through Alibaba without any issues I'm puzzled by the warnings, using Alibaba's  Trade Assurance, funds are held until goods arrive, they are released upon confirmation of the consignee that goods are undamaged and as described. There  is a 30 day dispute period to resolve any other issues, dealing outside the protection directly with vendors is not advisable. As with any virtual store Amazon, Ebay etcetera,  they rely on positive feedback as an advertising tool, so it in their interest to be upstanding, the length of time in business, provided by Alibaba is an indication of general customer satisfaction. 

Not to say there have not been cases of dissatisfaction, just not my personal experience.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • OldMan
    OldMan said:
    I'm referring to ANY salespeople you encounter, not just solar related. I imagine you're a barrel of laughs in restaurants as well. I've seen your type before. 
    While I rarely go to restaurants (I do order some in with Doordash), your ad hominem is way out of line, You do not know me. Typical rich guy. Rich people are a scourge.
  • littleharbor2
    Living on Social Security , last I checked, doesn't qualify as rich. We'll see next month when the cost of living rate increase kicks in. You never know.
     I don't fault people for being rich. I do however dislike greedy people.

• Iceni John
    Iceni John Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭

OldMan in San Fran, just one thought:  how are you going to stop someone, as in someone else, simply stealing all your hard-earned panels when you're not watching them like a hawk?   I know the theoretical virtues of parking in the shade while the panels are in the sunlight, but sometimes theory only goes so far, and hard reality steps in to dictate a less-than-ideal solution as being the best practical way.

40' Crown bus with 2kW of tiltable panels on the roof:

Eight Sharp 255W, two Morningstar TS-MPPT-60, Magnum MS2000, Champion C46540 generator converted to propane, eight golfcart batteries, and maybe a small Exeltech inverter for the fridger.

Southern California

• OldMan
    Living on Social Security , last I checked, doesn't qualify as rich. We'll see next month when the cost of living rate increase kicks in. You never know.
     I don't fault people for being rich. I do however dislike greedy people.
    I'm on the Peninsula, living on SS. COLA will help the hell out of me.
  • OldMan
    edited December 2018 #24

OldMan in San Fran, just one thought:  how are you going to stop someone, as in someone else, simply stealing all your hard-earned panels when you're not watching them like a hawk?   I know the theoretical virtues of parking in the shade while the panels are in the sunlight, but sometimes theory only goes so far, and hard reality steps in to dictate a less-than-ideal solution as being the best practical way.

The panels will be padlocked together, and the ground mount panel racks will be chained and locked to the rig. If someone wants to steal them, they're going to have one helluva time trying. Case-hardened locks and chains. We'll be around a LOT, because we're buying a dining tent with a floor in it, as an outdoor play area for the cats. When they're outside, one of us will ALWAYS be nearby.
  • OldMan
    OldMan said:

The panels will be padlocked together, and the ground mount panel racks will be chained and locked to the rig. If someone wants to steal them, they're going to have one helluva time trying. Case-hardened locks and chains. We'll be around a LOT, because we're buying a dining tent with a floor in it, as an outdoor play area for the cats. When they're outside, one of us will ALWAYS be nearby.
    It occurs to me I didn't explain myself very well. We're going to be fulltimers. We will be stationary in the winter (Coyote Howls primitive RV park in Why, AZ) and I don't think folks will try to steal the solar panels, like they would in San Francisco. In the spring/summer/early fall we'll be mobile, just wandering and looking for good trout fishing. Any recommendations in the Rockies and west? Only a couple destinations east of the Rockies interest us, so we will be western denizens. I am native SF and that's why. I've lived east of the rockies and the only places I want to see east of the Rockies are the Devil's Tower in MT, and Big Bend boondocking in Texas. Rest of the time, it's west of Denver for us.

• OldMan
    Photowhit said:
    blee0518 said:
    You are new here, I guess we have tiptoed around what your knowledge base is...

Do you understand that solar panels can be added in series up to 600 and some as high as 1000 volts? Very high wattage can be obtained in this manner.

Large/high wattage panels become difficult to handle by one person, I just brought home 6 - 315 watt panels, they are roughly 77 inches by 39 inches. I'm a big guy and it was about all I could do to get them on my roof.

You CAN get high-wattage panels that are a little squared off. Some weigh a bit less, but the more squared off panels are easier for me to handle and I'm 6'3". A taller panel makes it almost impossible for me.
  • WayneCedarBoats
    WayneCedarBoats Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Hi OldMan,

Dear man, Did I hear you say "trout fishing"?   You have to spend some time in Southern Oregon.  The Rogue river is really great for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout... as well as many other streams and rivers... not to mention lakes with lake trout 40 lbs plus!  I've got a drift boat and I'll take you out on the river if you let me know a month or so before you visit.

We also have a BnB  and or lots of room to park your rig on our ranch.   

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8070309?location=Ashland, OR 97520, United States oak haven&adults=4&guests=1&check_in=2017-11-30&check_out=2017-12-02&tier_override=0&s=aV4jQ74T&irgwc=1&irclid=WTY2mR0RNzS03EqUQwTNXyTIUkmWlhSnuSkoUo0&ircid=4560&c=admitadGmbH&sharedid=240682&af=126295512

I'm a retired guy too, but still playing in business cause I can't stop:-)  But I can take time off most days if I want to.  We also shoot air guns competitively.  A game call Field Target.
    here is a link to the last Oregon State Field Target Championships we held here on our course in Ashland.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaC0Khlz8kQ
    So come play with me in Southern Oregon... we can be grumpy old men together:-)

Wayne 

• OldMan
    Hi OldMan,

Dear man, Did I hear you say "trout fishing"?   You have to spend some time in Southern Oregon.  The Rogue river is really great for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout... as well as many other streams and rivers... not to mention lakes with lake trout 40 lbs plus!  I've got a drift boat and I'll take you out on the river if you let me know a month or so before you visit.

We also have a BnB  and or lots of room to park your rig on our ranch.   

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8070309?location=Ashland, OR 97520, United States oak haven&adults=4&guests=1&check_in=2017-11-30&check_out=2017-12-02&tier_override=0&s=aV4jQ74T&irgwc=1&irclid=WTY2mR0RNzS03EqUQwTNXyTIUkmWlhSnuSkoUo0&ircid=4560&c=admitadGmbH&sharedid=240682&af=126295512

I'm a retired guy too, but still playing in business cause I can't stop:-)  But I can take time off most days if I want to.  We also shoot air guns competitively.  A game call Field Target.
    here is a link to the last Oregon State Field Target Championships we held here on our course in Ashland.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaC0Khlz8kQ
    So come play with me in Southern Oregon... we can be grumpy old men together:-)

Wayne 

Wow, thanks, Wayne, I am really moved. Your air gun thing sounds like fun and I have a sneaky feeling a little paintball battle has been thrown in there at some point, just as a change of pace. People really like attacking me on these and other fora because I give my truth, unvarnished, with splinters with a little sandy grit thrown together and they don't like that. <shrug />

Check your PMs.
  • WayneCedarBoats
    WayneCedarBoats Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I'm serious, come play... I like to meet new friends.

My mom "tells it like she sees it" too, so I've learned to love people as they are... and hope I get the same:-)

Folks would be surprised how much Love can be found in so called "grumpy" people.  It's usually the truest.  I've got a really good friend named Larry, most folks think he is the grumpiest person on the planet.  He tells his truth whether or not he thinks you would like hearing it.
    He also shares his time and deep knowledge in air guns and engineering freely with those who will listen and not feel insulted with his truth... and we have great fun together.

All you solar boon dockers are welcome to come visit and go fishing or shooting with me...
    grumpy or not:-)

Wayne
  • OldMan
    blee0518 said:

• brichards
    brichards Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited February 2019 #31

I can get you all of these panels you want for $300 each.

Avg. Panel Efficiency 20.3%  ***********

25 year warranty, New, however the sides frames has some scratches on them. Never installed, just sitting here in stack on pallet waiting for install.