Pics, Movies, or links for personnal sites and blogs (no commercial)

124»

Comments

• nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    Re: Pics, Movies, or links for personnal sites and blogs (no commercial)
    westbranch wrote: »
    as BB Bill says, do not so as He does!...

Unless you want to be a Rock Star.

The Hazards of Electricity
  • gactrx
    gactrx Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi, I have just started installing my panels. The idea for this method is thanks to Zoneblue. I have put some pictures up. As I progress will put more. I only go to the farm once or twice a month at this stage so progress is slow.

https://plus.google.com/114614245472851365596/photos

Cheers,
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing showing on your link...??:cry:

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • gactrx

You might have to scroll down the page a bit. I'll attach a picture of the page as it seems to work fine for me.
    Cheers,
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

I did see the pictures. I like the L bracket that you secured the panels to. I went strait to the wood. I didn't want to buy the aluminum rails. Wish I would have tought of that.
    gww
  • gactrx

Yes, aluminium or Unistrut steel was quite expensive. I bought a 3 meter length of 50 mm x 2.5 and cut it with my drop saw and a metal cutting blade which is like a very thin grinding disk. then I drilled them with 8 mm holes and sprayed with Zinc paint. I'll get stainless steel bolts to fix the brackets to the solar panels and also put some sort of long lasting rubber between them so the aluminium doesn't react with the zinc. Next time I go up I'll fit the other four panels and connectors. It took me two full days to build the frame and fit two panels. The others will be quicker to fit. I'll be using these panels to heat a water cylinder though summer.
    Cheers,
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

If you use stainless nuts and bolts--Make sure you use "anti-seize" compound (grease). Some stainless alloys will seize with hardly more than hand tightening a nut and bolt together.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    If you use stainless nuts and bolts--Make sure you use "anti-seize" compound (grease). Some stainless alloys will seize with hardly more than hand tightening a nut and bolt together.

I was told to get different compounds of Stainless Steel and it would minimize the binding. I don't know if it's lore, but couldn't hurt if available. I used a drill/driver to mount my panels on my cabin array, and had the nut seize and pull the wrench I was retaining the nut with, right out of my grasp and scared the backing of the panel. FWIW -

I covered the 'scar' with tool dip/liquid electrical tape. I like to keep some on hand for similar problems...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • gactrx
    BB. wrote: »

-Bill

Thanks for the good advice. I have some anti-seize so will use it.
    Cheers,
  • gww1

I have built two wind turbines using stainless all-thread and stainless nuts. Both of them have had threads ruined while taking apart. I am going to have to get another supply of all thread and replace some of them if I ever have to do a deep tear-down.
    cheers
    gww
  • gactrx

After pricing s/s bolts at $60 for the 6 panels I have done some checking and due to the dryness where I'm located galv should be fine. I'll just put some rubber between the bracket and panels.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! 1/2 or 3/4" 1/4 SS bolts w/nuts run $2.50 each! ouch! and to think, I was upset at 15-20 cents each here in the states!

Perhaps you were including the bolts through the wood? if you are still allowed arsenic in your pressure treated wood, Galvanized should be fine there...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • gactrx
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Wow! 1/2 or 3/4" 1/4 SS bolts w/nuts run $2.50 each! ouch! and to think, I was upset at 15-20 cents each here in the states!

Perhaps you were including the bolts through the wood? if you are still allowed arsenic in your pressure treated wood, Galvanized should be fine there...

Yes S/S 316 grade 8 mm x 25 mm bolt, washer and nut $2.50. Our wood is preserved with copperbase stuff with chrome and arsenic.
    Cheers,
  • gactrx

Finally have all six panels up now. I left gaps for the wind to blow though. Have the junction box up and just received the Midnite Classic controller.
    Cheers,
    https://plus.google.com/114614245472851365596/photos
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,
    After much planning and material finally got my array built. Took about a month working on and off when I could get the help of a friend to do the higher ladder work. The pictures are in the album. Here's the shortcut to Rick and Liz solar system: http://forum.solar-electric.com/album.php?albumid=131
    Enjoy the pics.
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • gww1

raji
    And you get shade to boot. Very nice.
    gww
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    gww1 wrote: »
    raji
    And you get shade to boot. Very nice.
    gww

Yes…..unfortunately unavoidable
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

A good starting point for anyone who wants to do a mobile SHTF type build:

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/solar-power/4544-home-made-solar-inverter-generator-hybrid.html

Vehicle roof top solar panels that go where you do:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/solar-assist-vehicle-roof-top-solar-panels-32752.html

I do trash talk cheap inverters and cheap charge controller a lot.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• vince
    vince Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Here is a link to my tiny retreat house, from beginning to end. www.vincentdummer.com/wp
    Sunpower 3 x 435 watt panels, 48 v 215 AH battery bank (Sam's club), Midnite Kid and WBjr, Fujitsu 9RLS3 split duct AC, Outback FX 3048T + transformer 2000W 120/220V, GrapeSolar Fridge.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice job!  I am curious to how  this goes during the summer. You certainly have the right split. Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• vince
    vince Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Dave, the mini split has been fantastic, what I value is to run it on silent both indoor as well as outdoor unit and it is not noticeable. The panels have been able to supply all the power as by 7 PM when it cools off, my battery system has more than 90% charge.
    Sunpower 3 x 435 watt panels, 48 v 215 AH battery bank (Sam's club), Midnite Kid and WBjr, Fujitsu 9RLS3 split duct AC, Outback FX 3048T + transformer 2000W 120/220V, GrapeSolar Fridge.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to beat the Fujitsu 9RlS3. I think I have speced about 10 of them since they came out. Thanks for getting back here!
    What did you end up doing with the Sunpower blems from Sun Electronics.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    So many dead links in this thread. Could a moderator please clean out the dead wood so the thread doesn't catch on fire?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I will close the thread and "unstick" it.

If anyone wants to highlight their website/work (non-commercial), please feel free to open a discussion (thread) over "In the Weeds" sub-forum.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
This discussion has been closed.