MC4 Connector Shortage

Windsun
Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
According to the factory rep, MC4 connector parts are backordered 16 weeks now due to a tooling failure in the Swiss factory as of March 2010.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: MC4 Connector Shortage

Is that the only factory for the world of PV OEM's, or for add-in cables only
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

it is a good thing that i make my own cables then.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • Windsun
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Is that the only factory for the world of PV OEM's, or for add-in cables only

It is apparently the only factory for all the MC4 connectors and parts in the world.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Ain't sole sourced parts (probably patented to prevent alternate manufacturers) in a global economy wonderful... :roll:

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭

This is not good... how did "we" end up with only one supplier in the world? No wonder the damn things are expensive. Anyone have an injector molder in there basement?
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

who did they pay off to get the 'standard' set that one MUST use MC$'s???

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Windsun

There is no hard and fast rule that MC4 connectors must be used, other mfg's make acceptable types, such as the Tyco SolarLok, The problem is that most major mfg's have settled on the MC4 type.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

smell of BIG $$$$$ is in the air....

ej

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

I don't buy this ... many manufactures listed here for MC4

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/mc4_solar_connector.html

and this is an actual manufacture of MC4's

http://www.nova-group.cn/solar-connector/PV-Cable-coupler-PV-ST01-M-PV-ST01-F.html

Now where wind-sun buys from ( distributor ) maybe having supply issues, but its not only made in one factory in the entire world .. if it was RE world would be all over this.

I couldn't find any Google hit on the tool broken story either and the only hit for MC4 shortage is this thread, none anywhere else
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

This report of a shortage was also on the Wrenches List.
    I have no idea of its truth or consequences.
    boB
  • Windsun
    I don't buy this ... many manufactures listed here for MC4

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/mc4_solar_connector.html
    I couldn't find any Google hit on the tool broken story either and the only hit for MC4 shortage is this thread, none anywhere else

All of those are made in China, and there appears to be some issue there also, not sure what it is - but in the past week we have gotten two inquiries from Chinese companies looking to buy those specifically made by MultiContact on the order of 10's of thousands.

Perhaps it is just a general shortage of certain types, but a test a while back (2008?) in one of the electronics magazines (IEEE digest?) showed that most of the Chinese ones failed to meet UL specs.

Aside from that, it is quite possible that the MC rep we talked to is full of it and is just making excuses for a non-delivery screwup for connectors that we ordered back in January. Perhaps there actually no "broken machine" but they oversold to Chinese mfg's and all we get is excuses because we only buy a few 1000 a year.

And why am I not surprised that there is no US manufacturer of them... :blush: