? About 3 135 Watt Panels in Parralel

Options
tcvb
tcvb Solar Expert Posts: 44
Will they need to be protected going to the charger?If so can i just tie them in a junction box?and put the protective device on the feeder going to charger?

Thank's

Tim

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: ? About 3 135 Watt Panels in Parralel

In general, it is a good idea to place a series protection fuse in series with every (string--whether one or 10 panels per series string) when you have 3 or more parallel strings.

The idea is that the series protection fuse will protect a shorted panel or lead wire from getting too much current from the rest of the panels on the string and cause a fire. Instead, the series protection fuse will open and prevent the over current into the failed string...

One or two parallel strings do not need series protection fuses or circuit breakers.

Many panel specifications will tell you what the series protection fuse rating is required.

For example, a Kyocera 135 watt "12 volt" panel (PDF spec. sheet) with Isc=6.79 has a series protection fuse requirement of 15 amps maximum.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bobdog
    bobdog Solar Expert Posts: 192 ✭✭
    Options

I am going to add the same panel to the 2 I have already (in parallel) and wondered how you actually put the fuse in line? Do you just use an automotive fuse type holder or what?

Mine are paralleled at the pole then run the 30' to a 15 amp fuse/disconnect. But, that won't protect a bad module from the other 2.

So, how does everyone put the fuse in line between each module (string)? Thanks.

Tim
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Here are a few options from our host's web store.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think, it's primarilly a code issue.

It was once common to combine them using a distribution block, NAWS still sells them here; http://store.solar-electric.com/16220-2.html

IMHO glass, silicon and even tedar are not very likely to burn/burst into flames before some fine ribbon wire melts and disconnects the panel.

That said, if it's on your roof and has collected debris and dried out... I wouldn't want to argue with your insurance company.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • higgins
    higgins Solar Expert Posts: 56 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm in the UK,could i use RCD breakers in a domestic fuse box?These are circuits that will trip and stop residual currents leaking back,and they are slotted into a distribution fuse box with a switch for breaking all power to the circuits individually or all at once.
    Higgins
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Options

Higgins

You should use an RCD on the AC out to the house along with (M)CB`s (circuit breakers) same as you get in your house distribution panel, An RCD protect`s against earth leakage type faults, A (Miniature)CB against over current.

For the DC side, you MUST use proper DC breakers or fuses, they are different internally and it can be extremely dangerous to use AC components in their place,

Have a good one
    Tim
  • higgins
    Options

Thanks Black swan,do you know where i can source the DC breakers and MCB'S in the UK?I have been looking at a few till it dawned on me that they they were AC types.Also trying to find uk equivalent hardware in place of American eqpt as most of them are on here thanks!
    Higgins
  • blackswan555
    Options

Hope the Mod`s don`t mind, a very similar name that I have heard good things about but have never used my-self, http://www.windandsun.co.uk/

Have a good one
    Tim
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wow, I wonder who started business first? And infringements? At least there is a big pond inbetween
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

quote from our us windsun site,
    "** 2010 is our 31th anniversary - 1979 to 2010. **"
    5 year discrepancy.
  • blackswan555
    Options

I don`t use them directly, As I understand most of the OB European equipment now comes through them, Mine used to come (2nd) through Barden UK then onto Europe (Barden are also Rolls European distributors) but Barden (so I am told, try to buy OB through them) now do not deal "much" with OB and punt you on to windsun, politics I presume ?

Tim
  • higgins
    Options

Cheers Tim,good link that,
    Higgins