off grid low usage stereo

Marcel
Marcel Solar Expert Posts: 39
Hello to all. Our stereo just bit the big one and since we're moving to an off grid house soon I want to get a stereo to use off grid. We need a good sounding system that includes a CD and ideally one we can plug our phonograph into. Thanks everybody!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: off grid low usage stereo

I don't know what is available today--In the "old'n times" we would buy boom boxes that used AC power and had a bunch of "C" or "D" cell batteries. Because they are designed for battery use--they are at least reasonably power stingy.

I just checked an old one I have... Takes 3 watts powered off (standby). 4-10 watts when running (uses more power with high volume and running the CD player).

Notice that standby loads even for an AC powered player is significant... Standby power usage can more than operational if operated less than 8 hours a day:
    • 8 hours * 5 watts = 40 watt*hours running
    • 12 hours * 3 watts = 36 watt*hours "off"
    In either case, that is not very much power.

Purchase a Kill-a-Watt meter and go to the store (or friends' homes) to test various stereos.

My 20 year old nice quality stereo takes 20+ watts on standby and a lot more when on.

The other choice is the old IPOD/Battery Powered radio+head phones... I use an old Sony digital clip-on radio + ear buds--One single AAA battery will last 25 hours or so of listening.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i think many of the car stereos may fit this application. i'm not too sure of the phono input, but many car stereos have an aux input. this may suffice for the phono and at worst case a preamp may be needed to properly drive the amplifiers.
    even though many of these car stereos are meant for 12v, some of these bigger amplifier sizes could hastily drain your battery so keeping away from huge 100w (all channels added together) and up types would benefit you unless you account for such huge draws.
  • GreenerPower
    GreenerPower Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If your ears are not too attached to analog and are tolerable to "digital quality", you can try digital (class-D) amps, car or home receiver (like Panasonic XR57) depending on your space, power or $ budget. Those need much less power compared to traditional class A or AB amps. If they don't have a phono input, there are phono-to-RCA preamp dongle you could buy (not sure of their quality).
    GP
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

We chose a Pioneer car stereo with aux in and Ipod dock. Sounds great, but most important, it has great fringe area FM signal capture. Wired into conventional home type speakers. Draws ~12 watts net/net.

Tony
  • Marcel
    Marcel Solar Expert Posts: 39

Wonderful, I will look into the car stereo matter. Thanks very much!
  • teardropper
    teardropper Registered Users Posts: 6

If you want to start at ground zero and use the thing that draws the least power, you might consider this. We have a 40GB iPod that we use with a JBL speaker with iPod cradle. We use this when we travel, in motel rooms, in campgrounds in our teardrop camper, all over. The iPod will hold thousands of songs, draws very little power and the little JBL speakers use 2 AAA batteries or a plug in. I'm not saying you should use this setup, only that digital music players can be very efficient and amp and speaker systems using this clean digital sound can be small and still sound good.This is just for your music, though the iPod does have an FM adapter. If you just require the music on your records, you can import them to your music program pretty easily with and iMic. Digital music gives you a lot of options.
  • bryanl
    bryanl Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Audio amps have become significantly more efficient recently. I look at the 7.1 AV receivers with 100 watts per channel and think of days past with 2ch @ 40 watts, maybe.

The big power drain is really the speakers although there has been significant improvement in that technology area as well.

As noted above, the standby drain can be an issue. With an automotive intended system there is usually a 'keep alive' power lead and an ignition power lead to control power needs. I remember when 5 - 10 watts in a car radio was really something and was startled to see a standard DIN slot radio rated at 100w for each of 2 channels. What was really amazing was that the overall power draw wasn't that much different.

Also take a look at the RV catalogs. Those have 12v power conscious hifi systems that aren't stuck on automotive design factors as much.
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

The big power drain is really the speakers although there has been significant improvement in that technology area as well.This does not make a lot of sense speakers only convert the power from an amplifier to acoustic output.Similar to a motor vehicle the vehicle itself only carries load .Its only the engine that produces the power to provide the propulsion... A 100 w a channel amp(2ch) driven to clipping will consume at least 200 hundred watts. there is no way around that... You often see a amp /speakers unit sold for computer connection claiming 1000 watts but when you look on the specs plate on amp it will say something max watts 150. or max current 240v at 130ma means max watts about 30 in reality max amp output about 12 per ch In general the larger the speakers the more sensitive they are.. meaning a 12" speaker is more sensitive than a 6" speaker. This means if you are using a car radio/amp setup buy the largest speakers you can , as they will give more acoustic output than small ones and therefore the amp will be drawing less current for a given room sound level
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭

Be careful how you "read" amp and speaker manufactures numbers, RMS is a true indication of power, A lot of cheap/ non professional equipment manufactures use not far off their own made up tests, you may see on some, PMPO Peak mean power output they call it, the highest number their best ever test sample has reached in ideal conditions on a very clean and narrow signal, It`s about the same as describing your 1000ah battery bank as 20,000 ah, cause that`s what you may get one day if you drop a wrench on it lol

Have a good one
    Tim
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaker truely do have widely variable efficency, Older 'Ohm' brand speakers took 5-10 watts minimum to drive them, while Klipsch with Horn extended range treeter/midrange are very effiecent (and sound great)

If you like to play... Sonic 'T' Amp's have been written up by audiophiles (now Dayton T amp), the small one is 15 watts and lots of fun for <$50. You can find several sites where people mod these into much better boxes, connectors, power supplies, spending hundreds on these.

BTW this runs of 12 volt DC, often sold with an adapter.

My Sonic version with some 'OK' book shelf speakers are all I would need, I usually play an MP3 player through the T amp and while I was once worried about a clean input using a creative Jukebox MP3 player with a line out, I've just been running straight out of my N800 (computer thingy) and can't tell the difference.

Not sure if it would produce enough volume for a party, but we turn it down when playing poker for phone calls, likely it would be fine with some nice Klipsch Book shelf speakers (a good exscuse any way!)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    john p wrote: »
    The big power drain is really the speakers although there has been significant improvement in that technology area as well.This does not make a lot of sense...

Perhaps bryanl was referring to speaker efficiency. :confused:

For a given magnitude of electric power, a high efficiency speaker will deliver more acoustical power than a less efficient speaker. There may be trade offs, however. For example, the response of a high efficiency speaker might not be as linear as that of a less efficient one. Or other performance factors may be traded off (or on.)

Although the science of loudspeaker design continues to advance, it is still very much an art of optimizing the trade offs.

Kinda like batteries. ;) Or any engineering problem.

K

Klipsch (Paul?) is a legendary artist/scientist of loudspeaker design.
  • john p

I dont think the person in the first post was looking for either huge(Klipschorn) or super expensive like the top of the range JBLs ,
    klipschorn speakers are a matter of taste as are of course all speaker box designs , but they cant produce true very low bass as the horn even with corner of room placement as they simply too small you would actually need them to be about 10ft tall to do that.
    Speaker effeciency is usually related to magnet size/type cost/ ie for the last 50 yrs JBLs 15'' bass drivers have had effeciencies of about 95db w ,and that is still about the limit. so really no improvement at all.
    For most home users a speaker box with a 12"bass and a mid range and tweeter will give the most output for a given amplifier output, A small bookshelf box with a 4" bass driver will be about 8 to 10 db less effecient meaning the bookshelf speaker would require about 100 watts to produce the same acoustic output as the 12" would on 10watts. The bookshelf box would have a useful lower frequency cutoff of mabe 70hz compared to the 12" 40hz.
  • Kamala

Yep!
    ;):D:-):roll::cool:
  • bryanl

re: "Perhaps bryanl was referring to speaker efficiency. "

yep. amp efficiency in modern equipment for 'nominal' use is generally rather efficient and not really a concern in comparing devices, especially between those intended for portable or battery powered use. It is the power that is needed to get the speakers to move air that varies most.

If you have a discerning ear and want to hear the full audio spectrum, then you will have to consider both peak and average power needs of the speakers and they will have to be built for that rather than efficiency. (getting spectrum phasing right for these sorts of systems is also an interesting power challenge).

If you're getting a bit up there in age and don't have pretensions and don't mind (or notice) some of the nuance of _true high fidelity_ then you can get by with some nice, efficient, 'bookshelf' speakers.

If you're one of those who thinks they can get decent fidelity through a telephone, than nearly anything will do.

If you want to see power, take a look at some of the automotive subwoofer systems out there. I swear, I think they need an engine only to power the amps. The bump of the bass seems enough to bounce the vehicle down the road. The wiring sold for these applications is excellent for low voltage solar systems as it, too, tend towards hyperbole.
  • john p

Bryanl some of what you have written is a bit confusing and also not really correct..If you have a discerning ear and want to hear the full audio spectrum, then you will have to consider both peak and average power needs of the speakers and they will have to be built for that rather than efficiency. (getting spectrum phasing right for these sorts of systems is also an interesting power challenge).

If you're getting a bit up there in age and don't have pretensions and don't mind (or notice) some of the nuance of _true high fidelity_ then you can get by with some nice, efficient, 'bookshelf' speakers.
    If you are looking for speakers to use as little power as possible effeciency is just about everythingThere really is no such thing as"nice effecient bookshelf speakers.. just about all are at least 6db less effecient that a good sized floor standing box.
    As for hearing the"full audio spectrum" that has nothing to do with peak or average power. it is the sole function of the speakers and the box design . You can have "full audio spectrum" at 1 watt or 10,000 watts. but its impossible to get extended bass (25hz)from a speaker below about 8" no matter how much power it can take.and as for high frequency at above 15khz most "tweeters " can only handle a few watts. but in most home sized listening rooms that is more than adequate.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Speaking as someone who is "up there in years" I'd just like to point out that I AIN'T DEAF! :p
    I can still hear a very wide range of frequencies from about 16-12,000htz and the softest of sounds. I put it down to using hearing protection during all those years of working with industrial equipment and not cranking the volume up on the stereo!

Cheap small speakers sound like cheap small speakers. Bose Wave is supposed to overcome this failing, but who wants to spend the money to find out.

Otherwise, and Sony or equivalent 'boom box' will produce adequate quality. Buy from some place that will let you listen in-store before you fork over the $. Mostly the small units will drop the low frequencies and muffle the high ones.
  • john p

My belief is the BoseWave at about$1300 is an overpriced cdplayer ipod dock radio. It always amazes me that Bose make big performance claims but never produce frequency response curves, So you have no way of knowing what its limits are .
    AS for hearing 16 hz . your ears really cant "hear" below about 20 hz . frequencies below that are more felt through many parts of the body,
    If any one interested and has poor top end hearing(above 12khz, you can try this for fantastic great quality sound.. buy a pair of very good quality ear phones ,, the ones that can fit in the ear , Remove any extra ear fitting to them (if fitted) if used previously in the ears wipe them over with a very clean cloth then put them in your mouth and gently hold each one between your back teeth on each side,be careful you dont chew the connecting cable, now keep mouth closed and sit back and listen to the best full range sound you have ever heard. really your teeth make for better hearing of music.etc than your ears.. . sorry it wont work if you have dentures.:cool:
  • CaptTurbo
    CaptTurbo Solar Expert Posts: 66 ✭✭✭✭

While you're "chewing" on your tunes I'll flip on my Onkyo HT-S9100THX and enjoy the best sound for the money that I've ever come across. A 7.1 audio system that was THX certified for every component to work together perfectly. I don't know about it being the best for an off grid system since it's rated 1200 watts but it sure makes the Home Theater experience mind blowing and it does a pretty nice job on music as well.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think the person in the first post was looking for either huge(Klipschorn) or super expensive like the top of the range JBLs ...

I was speaking to effiecencies and Klipsch Tractrix horn speakers, available in nice small bookshelf size like these RB-51 @ 7 wide x 12 tall x 10 deep. With a sensitivity of 92dB @ 2.83V / 1m .

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rb-51-specifications/

While my hearing isn't what it use to be, I use to own some Ohm H's great clean sound but not very effiecent, I find these very clean and worth a listen to. ALso effecient with a sensitivity of 92 dB compared to @88-89 of most book shelf speakers.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • bryanl

re: "Bryanl some of what you have written is a bit confusing and also not really correct" -- gheessh, get a grip, OK?

I was speaking in generalities and I really think that was rather clear. I was also considering context. Nitpicking general discussions is what leads to page after page of qualification and disclaimer and I really don't think we need to go there in this discussion.

re: "its impossible to get extended bass (25hz)from a speaker below about 8" no matter how much power it can take" -- Right on! - but many folks don't know they aren't hearing that low bass rather than artifacts of higher frequencies. They can be happy with that, or not. Perception is king.

If you want to get 'full spectrum' at low power, you use earphones of one sort or another, but then you can't share and the experience is different.

Efficiency includes many factors. Dynamic range as well as frequency range can have a major influence in both speakers and amplifiers when it comes to efficiencies. Reducing power requirements usually means squeezing these things in a balance with what the end user finds acceptable. (if you are obsessed with measures, consider that measuring overall speaker efficiency over frequency is about as error prone as measuring temperature of the globe).

If your idea is theater systems versus ye-olde-stereo, you will also incur the energy costs of driving 5 or 7 speakers rather than just two plus the power needed for a decent LFE channel.

When you get into semi-portable systems where power draw and space constraints are issues, you are going to be making some trade-offs. We are fortunate to live in times where you can get some very decent systems that do quite well for the audiophile willing to pay the price. I don't think the mp3 playing iPod user belongs in that category. They can be quite happy with 2 channel systems using 'bookshelf' type speakers optimized for adequate volume over a rather modest frequency range. That's why those stand alone, battery powered, 4 inch speaker iPod docky thingies are so popular at campouts. (I guess it's better than those table top battery powered radios of yesteryear).
  • warren
    warren Registered Users Posts: 21

Very interesting & !!! ??? Meanwhile back at the ranch, Seems the OP thought the car stereo solution back on page 1 might just be the answer.

Regards
  • myocardia
    myocardia Solar Expert Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    We chose a Pioneer car stereo with aux in and Ipod dock. Sounds great, but most important, it has great fringe area FM signal capture. Wired into conventional home type speakers. Draws ~12 watts net/net.

I would also recommend this option, specifically with a Pioneer head unit. Why Pioneer? Because the Pioneer automotive receivers are the only ones that have a 3 band parametric equalizer. Parametric means adjustable frequency, and it offers choices of 40, 80, & 100 or 160 Hz for bass, 200, 500, 1k, 2k, or 3 kHz for midrange, and 3, 8, 10, or 12 kHz for your highs. Having a parametric EQ makes a huge difference in sound quality. The cheapest models don't come with this feature, of course, but $169 with free shipping is all that's required: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P4100UB/Pioneer-DEH-P4100UB.html?c=3&tp=5684&avf=N That model also comes with a wireless remote, if that type of thing interests you.
    Speaking as someone who is "up there in years" I'd just like to point out that I AIN'T DEAF!:p

What did he say? Did he call me Jeff?
    DoD= depth of discharge= amount removed from that battery   SoC= state of charge= amount remaining in that battery
    So, 0% DoD= 100% SoC, 25% DoD= 75% SoC, 50% DoD= 50% SoC, 75% DoD= 25% SoC, 100% DoD= 0% SoC
    A/C= air conditioning AC= alternating current (what comes from the outlets in your home) DC= direct current (what batteries & solar panels use)
  • Telco
    Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I'm glad I read this, yet another idea to incorporate. I was wanting to get a high end system that's built into the house when the time comes, never even thought about considering a high end auto system for the house that can be hard wired in, and in the event of failure comes in a standardized size that just slides the old one out and the new one in. No idea if I'll use it, but it'll definitely be worth looking into. The only complication for me is that I plan to wire the whole house out as 120V and have a single feed for simplicity, rather than having part 120V and part 12V and dealing with crippling voltage losses between the house and the battery bank, which will be away from the house.

On the Bose systems, read a critique that stated the Bose method is to put out the highs and the lows, and the middle takes care of itself. I tend to agree, because while the Bose system does sound amazing on its own, the lustre fades on that diamond when you have it side by side with an actual high end system and you switch back and forth between them. If both are playing the same song, you start noticing the missing middle on the Bose stuff. Bose is off my wish list because of this. Try it out yourself, big box electronics stores like Best Buy have Bose systems on the display shelf with power to them. The only thing really amazing about the Bose system is that it can compete with and come close to a high end system while being no larger than a clock radio, but for the money I'd rather have the larger system.
  • myocardia

Telco, there's a reason why Amar's company deservedly has the nickname in the audio world of Blose: http://intellexual.net/bose.html
    And the side by side comparisons you mentioned are the reason that Bose makes every store that carries their small speakers keep all of them away from all other companies' speakers. Most people have a hard time discerning just how bad a speaker sounds (and that goes double, if not triple when it's playing fairly loudly) unless they happen to have a good-sounding speaker with which to compare it. Once they have a point of comparison, Blose's shortcomings become glaring.

Back on topic, I meant to mention a set of nice-sounding, but still not expensive bookshelf speakers that are efficient enough to use with a car audio receiver. My choice would be these: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P162BG/Infinity-Primus-P162-Black-grille.html?tp=186 Just remember that every 3 dB of efficiency you lose requires double the amplifier power, to be able to play at the same volume level. That's a very important thing to remember when you don't have much power to begin with. Also, 6.5" woofers are about as large as a car audio receiver's amps will be able to handle, unless you are able to find a good condition pair of Cerwin Vega Re-20's on craigslist. The Re-20's have very efficient 8" woofers, and an overall efficiency of 95 or 96dB, if I remember correctly.
    DoD= depth of discharge= amount removed from that battery   SoC= state of charge= amount remaining in that battery
    So, 0% DoD= 100% SoC, 25% DoD= 75% SoC, 50% DoD= 50% SoC, 75% DoD= 25% SoC, 100% DoD= 0% SoC
    A/C= air conditioning AC= alternating current (what comes from the outlets in your home) DC= direct current (what batteries & solar panels use)
  • john p

Myocardia Having a parametric EQ makes a huge difference in sound quality ..?? Just about all the best amplifiers have NO "TONE" CONTROLS.
    Also, 6.5" woofers are about as large as a car audio receiver's amps will be able to handle, ??? wHAT???? ANYTHING A 6.5" WOOFER CAN DO A 15" WOOFER CAN DO BETTER. It is a huge misconception that you can only use a "small" speaker with a "small" amp. the average 6.5"woofer would be lucky to be much better than 84 db /w a good 15" woofer is more likely to be about 95db/w a massive 10 db difference. ie 10w in the 15" will be as loud as 100w into the 6.5"
  • myocardia
    Myocardia Having a parametric EQ makes a huge difference in sound quality ..?? Just about all the best amplifiers have NO "TONE" CONTROLS.

What's your point? Amplifiers don't have tuners, or the capability to change sources, either. Are you recommending that we convince him to buy a receiver that doesn't have either of those capabilities?:roll:
    Also, 6.5" woofers are about as large as a car audio receiver's amps will be able to handle, ??? wHAT???? ANYTHING A 6.5" WOOFER CAN DO A 15" WOOFER CAN DO BETTER.
    Oh really? Show me just one 15" woofer that can not only sound good while reproducing a ~60 Hz note, but also sounds good reproducing 3,000 Hz notes, like every 6.5" woofer I have ever seen has zero problems doing. BTW, two-way PA speakers have piezo tweeters, that have high output capabilities starting @ 1.8 kHz, so PA speakers would not qualify, even if anyone had ever made a good sounding PA speaker.
    It is a huge misconception that you can only use a "small" speaker with a "small" amp. the average 6.5"woofer would be lucky to be much better than 84 db /w a good 15" woofer is more likely to be about 95db/w a massive 10 db difference. ie 10w in the 15" will be as loud as 100w into the 6.5"
    First of all, JBL doesn't make any 15" woofers with a 95dB efficiency, so please stop pretending that they do. They did for a one or two year period, about 15-18 years ago, but haven't since then. If they did, are you trying to tell me that you would recommend to someone that ~14 watts is enough amplifier power for one of them? If your answer to that question is no, you've figured out that all speakers have not only a maximum recommended amount of power they should be given, but also a minimum, and the larger the driver, the higher the minimum will be.

Secondly, if you know anything about audio, you know that all woofers and subwoofers efficiency ratings are derived from them playing full range. They sound like utter crap doing so, but they are the most efficient (louder) when driven full range. This JBL sub here, rated at exactly the same sensitivity as the speakers that I linked;) will output well under 90dB (when given one watt/2.14V of input, at 1 meter), when low passed to the proper frequency for it: http://www.jbl.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=GT5-15&accT=1&tsT=0&ovT=1 That frequency is 50 Hz @ 12 dB/octave- 70 Hz @ 18 dB/octave, BTW. As a matter of fact, I can assure you it will be closer to 85dB, than to 92 dB.

Now, guess which will sound better with the 14 watts/channel of RMS power that a car audio receiver can output. If you guessed the Infinity 6.5's that I linked, you'd be right. BTW, guess which of the two will have much better midrange and highs, also.:D
  • john p

First of all, JBL doesn't make any 15" woofers with a 95dB efficiency, so please stop pretending that they do
    8 ohms
    600 W1
    95 dB SPL
    45 Hz - 3.5 kHz
    1500 Hz
    100 mm (4 in)
    Edgewound
    aluminum ribbon

2226H/ J
    380 mm (15 in)
    8 ohms (H);16 ohms (J)
    600 W1
    97 dB SPL
    30 Hz - 2.5 kHz
    1200 Hz
    100 mm (4 in)
    Edgewound
    aluminum ribbon
    If they did, are you trying to tell me that you would recommend to someone that ~14 watts is enough amplifier power for one of them
    YES They would work just fine on a 4 watt amplifier.. I have been in old cinemas that were using 20w valve amps to power 2x15" Altec,s and could produce room filling volume with that combination
    A15"speaker will work to produce more output on a very small amp than a speaker of say 6" dia
    Just about all the best amplifiers have NO "TONE" CONTROLS.I thought most people would understand an amplifier preamp combination.. Although there some audiophiles that do connect the CD players output direct to the amplifier
  • Kamala
    Marcel wrote: »
    Hello to all. Our stereo just bit the big one and since we're moving to an off grid house soon I want to get a stereo to use off grid. We need a good sounding system that includes a CD and ideally one we can plug our phonograph into. Thanks everybody!

The thread has degenerated a bit. I feel compelled to jump into the flaming fire, but will resist.

To the OP, car stereo is probably the way to go if you need CD capability. But I suggest that you consider ripping your CDs to MP3 and using an appropriate player.

The real problem is your LP player. You'll still need to power your turntable with 120VAC. I'm not aware of any 12VDC models. Then you'll also need to have an AUX input on the car stereo head and use a RIAA equalized phono preamp (assuming that your phono cartridge is magnetic. Most are.)

Good luck!

K
  • myocardia
    Kamala wrote: »
    The real problem is your LP player. You'll still need to power your turntable with 120VAC. I'm not aware of any 12VDC models.

I've yet to see a 12DC model, either. They do now have USB models, though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882105280&cm_re=turntable-_-82-105-280-_-Product Crazy, huh? It even has a built-in phono preamp.
  • john p

Many new car entertainment systems have USB input,, there are as noted by others record players that have USB and RCA outputs . the RCA output is at line level so can be fed into any Car radio/cdplayer that has RCA inputs. The only problem still is the turntable and its preamp are 230v ac. (Use very small inverter but would need to be sinewave ? )
    Car entertainment systems are about the simplest way to go for 12v dc.and if connected to a good sized set of speaker boxes will give the greatest output for the least amount of current draw.