Other solar forums and how they interact with the members

KenMorgan
KenMorgan Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭
So I am a member of about 5 different solar forums/groups.  I have noticed that some forums/groups are extremely thin skinned while others are more shall we say fun loving?  

what are some of the other members thoughts and experiences with this?

Ken
30kw LiFePo4 battery bank, 18 JA solar 200 watt panels, 20 sharp 200 watt panels,  morningstar controller(s) and a magnum 4448 inverter with all the usual junk that goes with it. 

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there are differences, and that is why there are several forums.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Saggys
    Saggys Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    I too am on other forums and this is the one that I respect the members opinions the most. It seems to have the most traditional gear discussions also. There is always going to be that strong willed person on any and all forums.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KenMorgan said:
    So I am a member of about 5 different solar forums/groups.  I have noticed that some forums/groups are extremely thin skinned while others are more shall we say fun loving?  
    Certainly differences. I'm still a member at a couple others. I'm done dealing with Sunking (Sungod?) I dealt with him for ages in an older forum which has since quit. I had to explain Net metering to him when it was first introduced and deal with him telling me I couldn't run an air conditioner in my tiny home with 4 golfcart batteries and 1000 watt array... While I was sitting in air conditioning in my tiny home... After so many corrections with links, I lost all respect and quit treating him with any patience. They were hard up for moderators and when they made him one He promptly kicked me off. The admin said it's fine come back, and I'll make you a moderator too. I told him Sunking was his to deal with...

I haven't been on the other forums much, but last time I was he was still acting like he had a clue. I have a whole list somewhere of the silly things he has said about solar. 

Glad to be here, Great Moderator! Great intelligent, helpful people. Some installers, some who have been dealing with solar for many years. Even some engineers, Like boB and Robin Gudgel, who started with Trace/Xantrex, started Outback designing one of if not the first effective MPPT charge controller and modular inverters, then selling out and soon opening Midnite Solar. It sure is amazing that they take time out to answer some questions here and at the Midnite forum. 
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I heard boB and Robin still had a minority holding in Outback.  If you have any north american re equipment you have some of their engineering working.  Don't forget before Trace was some high end esoteric audio design and manufacture.  

I like how they frequent the Midnitesolar forum.  Attention from the boss barbers.
  • clockmanfran
    clockmanfran Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 #6

Everything is possible, just give me Time.

The OzInverter man. Normandy France.

3off Hugh P's 3.7m dia wind turbines, (12 years running).  ... 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 years) .... 14kW PV AC coupled using Used/second hand GTI's, on my OzInverter created Grid, and back charging with the AC Coupling and OzInverter to my 48v 1300ah batteries. 

• Photowhit
    Basically to get good quality long lasting RE gear that does what it is supposed to, we had to re-invent.
    Two exceptions...... Several Midnite Classic's 200 and 5off  Morningstar Tristar's, both of which we have here over the past 15 years. Very well made, good quality and pretty well bullet proof, if you know what i mean.! 
    So I'm a BIG fan of the Midnite Classic Charge controllers. Such a big fan I bought a pair of them in 2012, some of the first available...
    Even if you were helping them with trials, I don't think they went back 15 years...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Wet1
    Wet1 Registered Users Posts: 4
    New guy here!  I just started getting into solar (PV) over the last couple months.  I found Will on YT and decided to join his forum back in Nov.   Well I tried to join anyway!  I created an account, but never ever received the email to confirm my account via email.  I must have resent it 20 times, nothing, and the address was correct.  Without confirming the account, there's no way to contact a mod or admin on that forum.  I tried contacting Will several times outside of his forum, including posting the issue on his YT videos.  NOTHING!  Even though I learned a lot from him and lurking on his forum, I've given up!  

Since I'm able to post here, I'm already finding this a MUCH better experience, lol!
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wet1 said:
    New guy here!  I just started getting into solar (PV) over the last couple months.  I found Will on YT and decided to join his forum back in Nov.   Well I tried to join anyway!  I created an account, but never ever received the email to confirm my account via email.  I must have resent it 20 times, nothing, and the address was correct.  Without confirming the account, there's no way to contact a mod or admin on that forum.  I tried contacting Will several times outside of his forum, including posting the issue on his YT videos.  NOTHING!  Even though I learned a lot from him and lurking on his forum, I've given up!  

Since I'm able to post here, I'm already finding this a MUCH better experience, lol!
    Did you ever look in your junk mail folder? Sometimes mail from these forums will be recognized as junk mail. Personally , I haven't had any problems with that forum. I really like the high level of activity there. I have given up on SolarPanelTalk because it has become impossible to get any replies from the admin's. It's a very long story of the issues I've had there. Don't want to waste space here telling it.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭✭
    I subscribe to one other forum but don't participate much anymore, mainly due to the hosting company. I used to think their tech support folks were busy reviewing the forum for help in diagnosing support calls and that's why they weren't answering their phones but I've come to believe that's not true. So I think they just sit there being mesmerized by all the blinking lights from calls on hold - it's like Christmas time all year 'round!
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022 #11
    This is the only solar-related forum that I interact with because of the high quality of the folks here. (Yes, I have experienced Sunking and the kindest thing that I can say is: "The Emporer has no clothes." )  I am active on one other type of forum because I enjoy longer target rifle shooting.

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Photowhit
    (Yes, I have experienced Sunking and the kindest thing that I can say is: "The Emporer has no clothes." ) 
    Sorry for just 'liking' the comment. There was no 'love' reaction!  :smiley:
  • KenMorgan
    KenMorgan Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭
    to follow my original post up, I like this forum not quite as feewheeling as one other but not nearly so thin skinned as a couple are either.  I was just curious if it was just me or not  ;) 
    30kw LiFePo4 battery bank, 18 JA solar 200 watt panels, 20 sharp 200 watt panels,  morningstar controller(s) and a magnum 4448 inverter with all the usual junk that goes with it.