Schneider Conext SW4048 Stacked Inverters Not Charging Battery Bank

neutronspin
neutronspin Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭
Installed replacement inverters and the charging function doesn't seem to come on.  I have the recharge voltage set at 50.0vdc.  Right now the battery bank is at 46.4vdc as indicated on the SCP.  I am worried that my bank will die completely.  I checked all the charger parameters per the manual and they seem to be correct.  I talked to the vendor and he said they seem to be correct.  The state of charge as indicated on the Conext battery monitor is at 51%.  The inverter is in AC pass thru mode and right now not drawing any DC current presently so hopefully the bank will not go any lower.  I would think if the recharge voltage is at 50vdc the charger should have come on.  Any help appreciated.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I do not know--But would "pass through" mode disable the SW charging system?

Generally, modern inverter-charger systems pretty much use the same "hardware internally" (transformers/FETs/etc.) when charging and invertering. Pass through would seem to "disable" the entire system.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The battery at 46.4V is very close to death, turn the inverter on ASAP to allow charging, depending how large loads are it may require disconnecting them to prioritize charging.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • neutronspin
    mcgivor said:
    The battery at 46.4V is very close to death, turn the inverter on ASAP to allow charging, depending how large loads are it may require disconnecting them to prioritize charging.
    I put the system in standby and disconnected the loads and disconnected the battery bank.  I need to get a 48 volt charger to put some life in the bank until I either get more sun or else.  I am going to contact Schneider Electric tomorrow and see what they think.  There must be a parameter that is wrong keeping the inverters from going into the charge mode.  Thanks and will keep trying to find out what is wrong.
  • neutronspin
    BB. said:
    I do not know--But would "pass through" mode disable the SW charging system?

Generally, modern inverter-charger systems pretty much use the same "hardware internally" (transformers/FETs/etc.) when charging and invertering. Pass through would seem to "disable" the entire system.

-Bill
    I am beginning to regret purchasing these inverters.  The original units would enter the charge mode until they failed.  I am now on the second set of inverters.  Contacting Schneider to get some answers...thanks..
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    On the SCP enter SW 4048, scroll down to Charger Settings, check Auto Chg Enable is enabled. On 48V models the default is disabled.  
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have an SW manual, but the XW manual is pretty dang complete, and covers all the settings and how they work, you only have to read it, and @ 46V, your batteries are dead/dieing/murdered   Either read the manual and configure the inverters properly, even set to factory defaults, they should charge the bank properly.  Read first, then muck about with the settings.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this is posted in Off grid, could it be as simple as the wiring for generator starting?

If you manually start the generator, will it start charging?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • neutronspin
    mcgivor said:
    On the SCP enter SW 4048, scroll down to Charger Settings, check Auto Chg Enable is enabled. On 48V models the default is disabled.  
    Thank you for the info.  I ended up taking both inverters to standby and resetting them to factory settings.  Then I went to Charger Settings and checked Auto Chg Enabled as you stated and now I am golden.  Battery Bank is charging properly now.  There must have been a setting that was wrong and I think it was one of the AC settings.  I am going to make a copy of the settings for future reference to keep this from happening again.  I hope the bank isn't too badly compromised.  I really do appreciate all the help on here.  This forum is a great asset.  Thanks again....
  • Mwaka
    Mwaka Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    For a conext battery monitor equiped setup, the soc setting should be enabled. Sometimes the soc setting is enabled in a system WITHOUT a battery monitor. If the setup does not have a xanbus networked battery monitor, and the soc setting is enabled, the battery may not charge.