Trying to understand how much Voltage is coming out of one Conext MPPT 80-600 Charge Controller

blacknbart
blacknbart Registered Users Posts: 20 ✭✭
Ok, I'm merely laying out my Off-Grid Plan and getting my Electrical plan figured out.  This system is on paper at the moment.  Without going into detail I have 320 VDC/ 20 Amps going into one MPPT 80-600 Charge Controller. How or what will the Charge controller output with that input?  I'm assuming this Charge Controller may have a Max output of 80 amps.  What will be my Volts in DC?  

Comments

• Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

That all depends on your battery bank voltage and the state of charge for said battery bank.

• blacknbart
    Aguarancher thx for the reply.   Looking to use the SimpliPhi Power’s PHI 3.8TM Battery (PHI-3.8-48-60) DC Voltage Range 48-56 VDC not sure if I'll be using 6-8 Batteries.  Will the Charge Controller output 48vdc, 80 amps?  A Preliminary Current Layout is Attached. 
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020 #4
    On the Simpliphi website there are instructions on how to set up the controller, this will involve setting the required voltage, bulk, absorption float, Ah capacity of the battery and so forth. There are different settings depending on warranty required  which have recently changed so use the current revision. The settings can then be copied to the inverter via Xanbus for generator or grid charging, check to verify the values are correct prior to commissioning the system.

You will need an interface to adjust the settings,  a system control panel  (SCP),  ComBox, programming tool or the Web based Insight.

DO NOT power anything up before verification of all settings as the default values are not suitable, they need to be customized.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way a MPPT controller works, is watts in = watts out  (minus a couple % consumed as heat and to power the electronics)
    at 55V charging the battery - you could expect 116 amps, but the controller has a 80A limiter, so you should do OK on cloudy days since you are somewhat overpaneled.

And be sure you program the controller to match your battery before you do any serious charging

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will generally want to use the VMP and IMP numbers they represent the numbers in a working system, If the are 40 volts and 10 amps, that would represent a 400 watt panel... VOC is important as the highest voltage the charge controller will see...

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @blacknbart

With 32 × 310 panels the real world output would be 7440 W, that would amount to ~143 A at the typical charging voltage in the constant current or bulk stage where 99% of the charging of LiFePo4 occurs, there is no absorption to speak of.

Then use of two controllers as it will exploit the maximum potential especially on a partly cloudy day when there are only a few hours of clear sky. LiFePo4 batteries  can accept much higher amounts of current compared to lead acid, which makes them suitable for offgrid because the only thing predictable with weather is its unpredictability.

The charging voltage output of the controller will be regulated by the battery, typically the bulk target setting would be ~ 3.45 volts per cell  (VPC ) since the Simpliphi will have 16 cells in series the bulk voltage setting would be 55.2 V, when that is met there will be a short absorption of 6 minutes, this is the constant voltage stage, then it would transition to float at 54 V or 3.375 VPC.

Please note that the values used above were taken from Simpliphi when I used their recommendations as a guide for my DIY LFP bank, their settings are dependent on warranty requirements and are constantly changing, I've attached the file but it may not be the latest revision.

Don't sweat the settings, it's far easier than lead acid, the wiring diagram looks good and appears to be a well thought out ballanced system  in terms of design, loads independent.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I would use the mppt-100-600v. It is in the store here or can be ordered. I am also a dealer for Schneider Solar and add my 30+ years of Offgrid installation advice for DIY.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]

• blacknbart
    Thanks, everyone for the calculations and insight on my plan.  We were originally thinking 28 panels, but I wanted to push it up to 32 just to see what the limit was.  We have a perfect South facing solar window and I foresee us gathering a high percentage of sunlight regardless of weather.  I also wanted to see if we went with a small array if we could add on if need be, maybe enough to charge a vehicle let's say. I'm not sure of the amount I'll need, but wanted to consider that since we are in California.  It wouldn't hurt, to say the least. @Dave Angelini, I'll look into the 100-600 MPPT if it makes all the difference.  Is that Charge Controller made for when you use 18 or more 48v batteries?  

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is in Dave's ballpark, look into hiring him to design your system properly.  Think of EVERYTHING you want to do, retrofitting to add features is expensive after something is designed.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,