Nature causes power outages. Politics causes power to go out during 100 degree days.

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020 #32
    California was truly the land of plenty and easily the best place to live in the entire country. Yes, it really was. One of the really great things about this country is that we are allowed to choose where to live. How cool is that!?? 

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    More than cool !   And today's good news, they found 4 spotted owl nests on a Caltrans bill board going up to Shaver Lake, where the Creek fire is raging. The fire is not going well and 170K lost power last night for a PSPS thru tomorrow night. That is not cool at these temps.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solar is not much good today, had to turn on light at noon to start the generator !!

Smoke is unbelievable !!

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    mike95490 said:
    Solar is not much good today, had to turn on light at noon to start the generator !!

Smoke is unbelievable !!

Oh, man! That looks it is getting spooky.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited September 2020 #36
    Six western states going thru this, if it makes you feel a bit better.  Santa Anna, Devil wind, and the Mono winds.
     Thank god for the mini-split. It still freaking amazes me at what it sips from an offgrid battery 13 years later.

Starting to run out of N95's anybody got a source?

• Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020 #37
    Nada on the N95's...I use the 3M 2097 P100's.  Make sure to get the 2097's.  These fit on a 3M half mask/respirator.  The respirators come sized S, M or L.  More effective than the N95's.  The N95's are more comfortable though.

Here's an amazon link...you can try welding supply companies as the 2097 is used when grinding.  I also found some on the Staples site...but you might need to pick them up at one of their stores.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Particulate-Filter-2097-Pack/dp/B07PY3X2P8

PS.  My supplier has had me on a list for N95's since February.  They say that the wait is well into 2021 at the current rate of replenishment that they get from 3M.  I'm something like #176 on the list.  

Wish you all the best...
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020 #38
    The masks are available in Thailand  if you're having trouble locating them locally, $19 for a 2 pack...not cheap though.
     https://eastmarineasia.com/collections/3m-thailand-by-east-marine-asia/products/3m-8511-n95-particulate-respirator-with-vent-valve#email_contact
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Dave Angelini
    Thanks !  Got a few left. The cool flow valve is key to fighting a fire, for me.  Anything else seems to fog my onion goggles for my eyes.

If you are out in this stuff, remember to save your strength if you really have to fight a fire. You do not want to be tired. 

The 747 cal fire flew over 4 times yesterday. The smoke is so bad they could only fly for 2 hours in the afternoon. Not much better today.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited September 2020 #40
    Things are still not going great right now:

(Another Note:, our forum software will format raw twitter links into formatted tweets--I did not know that)

(Note: Lots of fire crews, military, and others are risking their lives to save people--Just one instance--Not a slam on anyone)

-Bill

300+ campers ensnared by fire. CAL FIRE tells them no hope of extraction, prepare to jump in the lake to survive. Army pilots say they can help. CAL FIRE says too dangerous. Crews go anyway. 0 vis in smoke filled canyons. Overload helos w/ppl. Then they go back. Twice. Heroes
    imageimageimageimage

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Creek Fire above from Bill on Labor Day.

A very tough fire with 15 mile range fire starts in it. Most of the time people talk about fire embers going 500 feet or so.

Creek fire also went up high enough to create its own weather. Rain and lightning created from the fire, not the weather patterns.

Towns like Oakhurst (over 15 miles from the Creek fire) have moved into Mariposa to get some distance in case it jumps again. I have 5 clients who do not even know if there home is still there. Feeling very sorry for them, but it is dangerous to live in this state.

• Dave Angelini
    45,000 people evacuated from the mountain communities. We built a temporary fence yesterday for horses. They look pretty beat up. Some progress on the fire but the inversion is leaving a 2 hour window for the air attack to fly.

The screen below is an old US navy S2 flying into the fire to plan the afternoon drops.

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Pray for California. Mostly good folks - ruled by out of touch tyrants. Many storm clouds on the horizon.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Believe that for the first time, the governor and his one party control are looking into Forest management.

You can blame the state for all kinds of things. You have to blame the people, even more so!  They do have the right to vote!

• softdown
    Believe that for the first time, the governor and his one party control are looking into Forest management.

You can blame the state for all kinds of things. You have to blame the people, even more so!  They do have the right to vote!
    Looks that way. Something about living in huge cities makes people believe in huge government. Rural communities are simply crushed by the sheer population of SF and LA. 

Oddly it was Reagan that started some of the ultimately most destructive policies. 

Exciting times - too bad they could not wait another 50 years however. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    I would say, for my area, the Sierra, it was Clinton and the Monument act for the mountains. It shut down completely the dying forest and timber industry that was already dying from endangered species act in the 70's. The Monument act then dealt the death blow by stopping grazing and the roads that were cut for sheep and cattle.

The ranching and timber folks were a team maintained all of the roads and firebreaks that kept the state safe for the previous 100 years. Old people who lost their jobs in the timber industry always say there were very few places you could not get to on a lumber truck in this state.

Most of them thought of the Sierra as a garden and treated it that way. Then people in San Francisco, who had never been here stopp it and to this day, the Sierra Club wants it all closed up.

The recent years have 10 million acres of Forest burned in the state, there are only 20 million more to go. Either let it all burn or do the right thing. The fire folks are dead tired at this point and they know this is really the start of fire season.

Agree on waiting another 50 years though.

• softdown
    I would say, for my area, the Sierra, it was Clinton and the Monument act for the mountains. It shut down completely the dying forest and timber industry that was already dying from endangered species act in the 70's. The Monument act then dealt the death blow by stopping grazing and the roads that were cut for sheep and cattle.

The ranching and timber folks were a team maintained all of the roads and firebreaks that kept the state safe for the previous 100 years. Old people who lost their jobs in the timber industry always say there were very few places you could not get to on a lumber truck in this state.

Most of them thought of the Sierra as a garden and treated it that way. Then people in San Francisco, who had never been here stopp it and to this day, the Sierra Club wants it all closed up.

The recent years have 10 million acres of Forest burned in the state, there are only 20 million more to go. Either let it all burn or do the right thing. The fire folks are dead tired at this point and they know this is really the start of fire season.

Few people realize that timbering actually creates an ideal forest in so many ways. Ponds all over the place. A fire break in regular intervals due to all the dirt roads with clearings on both sides. Dead fall (fire kindling) removed and ideally spaced trees all create an idyllic forest if done right. I've seen it in Colorado's Uncompahgre Nat Forest. Absolutely ideal hiking and game conditions. Beautiful as well. 

I once posted about the consequences of "natural forest" - the image was not well received. If we want the earth to be natural we must destroy ourselves. Perhaps we will.  
  • southfork
    southfork Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭
    The old growth forest had room to ride a horse though and drive a team with a wagon not like the modern tree farms  all one species of trees touching each other so you have crown fires and a lot of torching . The native Americans burned a lot of ground in the fall of the year to remove under story and litter to improve hunting and gathering for thousands of years good heathy forest .
     24 solar world 285 watt panels with 24 Enphase 250 s ground mount grid tied .                                                                
  • Dave Angelini
    Ride a horse? A cat can't get through the brush....

The other part of the non-management of California forestry is the mentality of not letting the fires burn out naturally. This is what has happened for decades, along with killing the timber, grazing, and letting average Joe go up and get firewood. No Dirt bikes or ATV's. No camping, no people needed.

The Creek fire near me is actually starting to slow because it has run into a previous fire burn. Many old timers say that California back 100 years was often really smoky in summer. The people who run the place, mostly democrats, have not kept up and have allowed 8 thousand houses to burn. There out is climate change. There is very little money for controlled burns and good forestry, even if the climate is the cause. 

There are over 40 million people in this state and that is a huge problem also. It is being take care of with the exodus out of here to the states where you guys live  ;)

• softdown
    The temp has risen 3F in the past 50 years. The ecowarriors smile and only blame climate change but forest management policies are more responsible.  How about that one of not allowing clear cutting around ones residence? Brilliant? 

Smart people with the means to get out are often doing so. But most do not have that option. When will the public learn that one party has a noted history of ushering in disaster? Never. Now they want to fight the system - by making it much, much bigger. 
  • Dave Angelini
    There is a recall here for Gov Gruesome. The problem with this, is the one guy who could reasonably mount a decent alternative, moved to Texas last month.

Who would want the job ?

• southfork
    southfork Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭
    softdown said:

Few people realize that timbering actually creates an ideal forest in so many ways. Ponds all over the place. A fire break in regular intervals due to all the dirt roads with clearings on both sides. Dead fall (fire kindling) removed and ideally spaced trees all create an idyllic forest if done right. I've seen it in Colorado's Uncompahgre Nat Forest. Absolutely ideal hiking and game conditions. Beautiful as well. 

I once posted about the consequences of "natural forest" - the image was not well received. If we want the earth to be natural we must destroy ourselves. Perhaps we will.  
    I guess if you like a giant checker board instead . I don't think the Sierra Club is doing a very good job . Take look at Google Earth for California I'm not a tree hugger But thank God for State and National parks at  least a few of the giant trees are left
     24 solar world 285 watt panels with 24 Enphase 250 s ground mount grid tied .                                                                
  • softdown
    southfork said:
    softdown said:

I guess if you like a giant checker board instead . I don't think the Sierra Club is doing a very good job . Take look at Google Earth for California I'm not a tree hugger But thank God for State and National parks at  least a few of the giant trees are left
    Get some rest after those giant leaps. Who said anything about logging the parks? 
  • softdown
    There is a recall here for Gov Gruesome. The problem with this, is the one guy who could reasonably mount a decent alternative, moved to Texas last month.

Who would want the job ?
    Who was that? Rogan has no interest though he just moved to Texas. 

I have concluded that at the end of the day - almost nobody knows what they are doing. 

Gruesome is just horrific. Pelosi's nephew etc. We have to end political crime family dynasty's like the Bush's and Clinton's and Pelosi's. 
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    You forgot the T word in you list
  • softdown
    Must be referring to Musk. I'm not aware of any interest in being governor. He certainly has a mind of course. 
  • Dave Angelini
    PSPS,  again power is going off in California during the next days to prevent new wildfires.

A bit different this time now that gasoline powered vehicles have to stop being sold in 2035 by mandate from the Governor.

Truly the land of fruits and nuts here. We had stars in the Sierra last night for the first time in 5 weeks, so it isn't all bad!

• softdown
    That mandate is a hella strain on a strained grid IMO. Gruesome is crazy. 
  • mike95490

Sunday 10/25 ~ Tue 10-27
    Northern Calif is going to experience a wide spread "safety outage" where power is going to be shut down over a HUGE section of the state, to prevent ill maintained gear from starting another fire.
      pro - Can't cut the trees - it's not natural
      con - Must turn off power, trees may fall on the lines

This will cover elevated areas above 1500' in all areas north of Santa Cruze:  (but not San Francisco or Sacramento where the big boys live)

"The latest PSPS forecast continues to indicate PSPS Watch status for all zones except Zone 7 tomorrow and Monday with many zones in PSPS Watch into Tuesday. The upcoming event appears to be stronger and more widespread than the previous events. The areas with the highest probability of being affected by PSPS for this event are the adjacent terrain surrounding the Sacramento Valley, almost all of the Sierra, as well as higher terrain of the Bay Area, including the Santa Cruz Mountains and Central Coast Region and portions of southern Kern."
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• Dave Angelini
    Possibly a million people in 38 counties. Sun is coming up. Stay home away from the crazies and you will be fine!

• mike95490
    That's ok, we'll all have electric cars in 2025 and can stay home together