Off grid living without internet?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Clearly we all have internet  - now. I am thinking it would be advantageous to be so far "off the grid" that internet is not available. But the "grass looks greener" on the other side so often. Wondering what it was really like for those who did without internet due to off grid logistics.

This is why life sans internet looks attractive:
1) It is Big Bothers #1 surveillance weapon by a huge margin.
2) It grows ruder and dumber with each passing year. Remarkable considering how rude it was 20 years ago. The level of modern idiocy is often mind numbing. Don't try to tell me the kids are as sharp as they used to be.
3) It grows more dominated by Big Bother with each passing year. As their funding and numbers grow - so does their arrogance.

4) I don't want to be in the cross hairs if or when Versailles burns yet again.

But life without a land line phone would be a challenge. I suspect a land line would be quite expensive if carried for many miles. Especially considering they usually piggy back on power lines.

Surely we have posters who did without internet in the past ~15 years? Hopefully due to off grid living circumstance.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we use a cell phone as a hot spot. Pretty slow, the phone company "speed test" always shows full speed of 20m down and 8m up, but any external speed tests usually fail and time out, like many websites do. 
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    mike95490 said:
    we use a cell phone as a hot spot. Pretty slow, the phone company "speed test" always shows full speed of 20m down and 8m up, but any external speed tests usually fail and time out, like many websites do. 

I want to lose the cell phone more than anything. Still need a phone, this may approximate  mission impossible.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    get a cell phone and only turn it on when you are in town ?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    You don't understand the purpose of the design of modern cell phones.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was without internet, in any real sense, at home for 10+ years. About 2001-2014. I did work 2nd shift and had internet at work and a relaxed job most nights working security. I also didn't have a cell phone most of that time, still can rarely be reached by cell phone as I have minimal service at home and usually just leave my cell off.

I now split the bill with my neighbor and use her wifi from DSL.

I said mostly, as I did have an early Kindle which has a very slow international accepted browser. Always has be listed as 'experimental' but was still functioning 18 months ago or so...

It's not very WWW friendly. I did post once or twice here from it. Mostly no graphics. Gmail was best in basic mode (is that still a thing?) BUT IT WAS GREAT TO HAVE, when we had a 19" snow and I was cabin bound for about 4 days. I was able to let people know I was safe and doing fine.

This and burner phones might allow you to have some connection without a pinpoint location and knowledge of your ID. While they might be able to locate your phone weather it's on or not, they still need to identify it with you, so buy it blind, A TracFone with minutes from Walmart and pay cash...

https://www.dummies.com/consumer-electronics/tablets/kindle/how-to-use-the-browser-on-your-kindle-paperwhite/
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    edited June 2020 #7
    Yes - there are times when having internet is great. It is the absolute lack of any privacy whatsoever that gnaws at my consciousness. The never ceasing strong arm efforts to tell us:
    1) What to think
    2) What to say
    3) What to do
    4) What to believe
    5) What to watch
    6) What we read

7) What we view

8) What we aspire to be

Other sources of aggravation -  Intentional posting of fake news, by Ingsoc agents, to see who bites? We are being hunted and bullied by those who clearly feel they own both the discussion boards and the internet itself. That it is their duty and their right to treat us like sheep and cattle. Their absolute arrogance seems to double with each passing year.

If their Thought Project had any chance of success I might appreciate that aspect of it. There is no historical record of any good coming from governmental thought domination of the citizenry. Now they are excited by the prospect of enhanced tracking via H.R. 6666 and Gates WO 2020 060606 and an active vaccine ingredient named Luciferase. They must think we have no functional cranial cells whatsoever.

I find myself wondering if the government is now larger than the private sector. A parasite that outgrows the host may not survive for long.

• softdown
    I believe 18 wheelers often have internet capabilities via some type of "modem". I don't see why a car could not also have this. Then one simply drives the necessary number of miles when they feel compelled to update their Ingsoc files etc.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest using a VPN and creating online accounts and then sharing both with a handful of friends.  Not a complete solution, but it helps with some of the privacy issues.   And there is the simple "just don't use it".

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• softdown
    If I have it I will use it - a lot if time permits. The best solution with a hard drinker is to remove the alcohol.

I still want occasional access - just make it far less convenient.
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    I use my I phone and I pad . 
    I get 1/2 bars if I’m standing on the edge of my land and wave at the sky .
     I put a 100$ booster in the house and I can get 3/4 bars some days , some days it’s not so good . 
     I can get a  u tube vid up most of the time. 
      I don’t stream movies , mostly just buy stuff😁
        It’s 2 1/2 hr round trip to any real shopping . 
        I’m not really worried about the government looking in on me , I’m a honest guy with nothing to hide any way .
         Buy the time  the government it following your  phone you are probably all done any way , they got you .
      I’m pushing 60 now the internet is not going to change my way of thinking .
       I have 9 phone and it’s $$$$$$  , the cost is crazy , I have a friend in Turkey that pays 10$ American for unlimited service ?
        In ny the phone Company won’t run a phone line with out power . 
       There is cable line 3 miles away , fiber optics are getting closer every year but for 25 mile around me there is only cell service 
        On Mountain tops . 
          Try not to get paranoid.  John 

Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020 #12
    No cable/fiber out where I am. Even DSL is next to worthless here. We use an AT&T hotspot at 18-20 Mbps down and 6-7 Mbps up, with their dedicated cell modem. BUT - we added a Weboost (Wilson) amp & outdoor antenna kit. Without that, we have a -113db signal which is essentially no cell service. We are quite happy with the service.
    The more I learn about the subject, the more I realize that nobody (Nobody!) can avoid prying eyes from the Government. Those days are loooong gone. The more you try to become invisible, the more noticeable and potentially interesting you become. The trick is become very "gray" to blend in with the background. In my business, I deal with a lot of very hardcore/high-level preppers who go through extraordinary measures and expense to get a very gray footprint. Move out to a truly remote area, live like a hermit with no digital footprint - you end up on a list as a potential misfit/malcontent.

If your biggest concern is cell phone tracking/recording, it seems to me that you could:
    Move somewhere that has no cell service without an external booster/outdoor antenna.Power down the booster between calls. Pull the SIM card and battery from your phone between uses. Use "burner" phones purchased with cash, one at a time. Before making a call, power your phone up without a SIM card to look for a strong signal indicating a Stingray in the area.
    That will just make you more interesting because they have to work harder.

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    A number of years ago when I was still traveling heavily for business, I signed up for the Global Entry program. During the vetting process “they” came back to me with personal information about me, my wife, my entire family and her entire family.  It left me with the knowledge that there are no secrets any more.  The depth of background knowledge that “they” have on all of us is mind blowing.  
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • Marc Kurth
    Terlingua! Most people don't know where it is, and what that means. Likely the most under-appreciated area that I know of. Good on you, Sir. On the other topic - yep. I do a lot of work with three-letter agencies and I am constantly amazed at how things actually work. I get to help design battery banks for some pretty interesting systems.
  • Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    Yea. Terlingua. Don’t tell anybody :)
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • softdown
    Much as labels would like to be slapped, it is the fact that the internet is currently more toxic than useful in my opinion. I always enjoyed calls on a land line while I cringe when a smart phone rings. The smart phone also does a lot of very weird things. Just the way it is.
  • InCogKneeToe
    InCogKneeToe Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭
    Life goes on without Internet. My Cabin, which is my Off Grid location, has neither Internet or Cell Service. Life goes on.

My Wife even spends the better part of the Summer there, while I commute occasionally and Weekend with her. A 12 mile Boat Trip, and 6 mile drive.

But when we met, my Wife's Parents House, had Electricity, but no Land Phone/Running Water/Indoor Plumbing/TV/Wood Heat, so she is use to that way of living. 
  • softdown
    We all did fine without the internet. Wasn't akin to no indoor plumbing or running water or heat. Though some may see it that way.

When the cost of something exceeds its value it is prudent to let it go
  • Marc Kurth
    softdown said:

Yes, Sir. And that road goes both directions.

My business would cease to exist without an internet connection. The value to me easily exceeds the price if I wish to continue to be able to afford luxuries like food and shoes. :D:)

Yet another one of the great things about our country: We get to choose! Ain't it grand? ;)
  • softdown
    Just got back from Wyoming. Current prices of mountain real estate are just ridiculous. You folks will have to put up with me for awhile at least.

The reaction to C-19 is likely to affect the economy at some point. Hopefully after the election rather than before it. Timing is tough though - or we would all be rich.

Funny that after I was away from the internet for awhile it didn't seem so bad. If I had to make a realistic prediction I would have to predict that my efforts to really get away from it all will not succeed.
  • Photowhit
    edited June 2020 #21
    softdown said:
    The reaction to C-19 is likely to affect the economy at some point. 
    Cramer "Mad Money", Had a very good show, a couple weeks ago, explaining what he believes is going on with regard to the Stock market and how it doesn't seem to reflect the economy. Explaining it was a transfer of wealth/business from small business to big business. 

I have had a hard time grasping how much the economics model has changed. I was the kid who didn't study and got one of 7-10 'A's in a lecture hall, I just understood it. I couldn't understand what was keeping inflation down when the FED was pumping money into the economy after the recession.  Now I couldn't understand the stock market sustaining it's levels. I feel I have at least a tiny grasp on what is going on now, if just hanging by some balloons with oily fingers...sigh.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    I'd have made some money if I had not listened to his show. Though he is entertaining to watch. He used to fire people for yawning at meetings and for being late in NYC traffic.

Things are "quite curious". Exciting times I guess.
  • Photowhit
    I actually worked with Jim Cramer at the Tallahassee Democrat very briefly in 1979, have no memories of him though...
  • softdown
    Photowhit said:
    softdown said:
    The reaction to C-19 is likely to affect the economy at some point. 
    Cramer "Mad Money", Had a very good show, a couple weeks ago, explaining what he believes is going on with regard to the Stock market and how it doesn't seem to reflect the economy. Explaining it was a transfer of wealth/business from small business to big business. 

I have had a hard time grasping how much the economics model has changed. I was the kid who didn't study and got one of 7-10 'A's in a lecture hall, I just understood it. I couldn't understand what was keeping inflation down when the FED was pumping money into the economy after the recession.  Now I couldn't understand the stock market sustaining it's levels. I feel I have at least a tiny grasp on what is going on now, if just hanging by some balloons with oily fingers...sigh.

Seems that so much that we were taught later got debunked - or so we are told. Geez - I remember being taught there were only two genders. Now we have 49, give or take?
  • InCogKneeToe
    InCogKneeToe Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭
    softdown said:
    We all did fine without the internet. Wasn't akin to no indoor plumbing or running water or heat. Though some may see it that way.

That is just it! Value. Currently I Value No Phone Contact, No Internet, more than purchasing a booster. I can always boat 1 mile away and get a Cell Signal and review my Texts.

I still recall my Father calling me one Saturday, while I was in one of His Old Duck Hunting Blinds. He was amazed that Technology had come this far. His Technology when he Hunted was 3 Cabins tied together by a Phone line, with a Crank Type, Wall Mounted Phone.

• New_Mexico_Will
    New_Mexico_Will Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭
    I grew up in the 80s.  No cell phone, not even wireless phones when I was young.  We had one of those 20 foot long curly cords on the land line phone, and if you wanted privacy you pulled the receiver down the hall to the laundry room and chatted in there.  We also had a party line, which meant that we shared a line with our neighbors, so sometimes you would pick up the phone and be listening to someone else's conversation.  Different times.  Anyway, I live off grid and even though I'm not extremely rural, I'm in a weird little pocket where the only internet available is satellite, which is ridiculously expensive.  I've been without internet at home for over a decade, and at first it was irritating, but now I love it.  I usually turn my phone off on the way home, and live a blissfully disconnected life.  I have an antenna and get 6 channels on my TV, which I rarely watch anyway.  There is something to be said for being "unplugged".  It is a much more peaceful way to live.  Just my opinion, no knocks on anyone who uses the stuff.  
  • Spackle
    Spackle Registered Users Posts: 1
    I can live without internet but it will be hard since we are already so used to it.
    And as what is happening today, the rnet us such a help in so many things. Like studying, searching and buying stuff like what we have bought last week which we have found online, the no clog toilet https://bestflushingtoilet.org/best-no-clog-toilet/.
  • softdown
    I grew up in the 80s.  No cell phone, not even wireless phones when I was young.  We had one of those 20 foot long curly cords on the land line phone, and if you wanted privacy you pulled the receiver down the hall to the laundry room and chatted in there.  We also had a party line, which meant that we shared a line with our neighbors, so sometimes you would pick up the phone and be listening to someone else's conversation.  Different times.  Anyway, I live off grid and even though I'm not extremely rural, I'm in a weird little pocket where the only internet available is satellite, which is ridiculously expensive.  I've been without internet at home for over a decade, and at first it was irritating, but now I love it.  I usually turn my phone off on the way home, and live a blissfully disconnected life.  I have an antenna and get 6 channels on my TV, which I rarely watch anyway.  There is something to be said for being "unplugged".  It is a much more peaceful way to live.  Just my opinion, no knocks on anyone who uses the stuff.  

The internet and smart phones were a great idea until Ingsoc elected to employ 98% of their privacy invasion capabilities. Being advised on how often I fart is - intriguing.