How do you house your setup? Help needed on a shed

Options
cptdondo
cptdondo Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
I'm looking for ideas on a shed for my solar setup - 8 panels, 8 6-v batteries, inverter, MPPT controller.  

This is in the high desert in New Mexico, and it get HOT HOT HOT.  I will not be there during the hottest part of the year, so how do I house the equipment and keep it from baking into slag when the outside temps hit 100*++?  How do I keep the batteries from cooking and drying out?

The shed needs to be secure and solid.  The simplest is a 20' container, but I think that would be too hot during the summer.

Comments

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Start by locating the shed in a shady area. Another idea might be to put the batteries below ground where the temperature is cooler and less variable. And possibly small fans to help with ventilation.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • cptdondo
    edited May 2020 #3
    Options
    706jim said:
    Start by locating the shed in a shady area. Another idea might be to put the batteries below ground where the temperature is cooler and less variable. And possibly small fans to help with ventilation.
    The nearest shade is about 8 miles away. ;)  But I like the idea of housing them below ground. I can excavate a hole cheap, and there's no rain to speak of.  :smile:  

What about using concrete block for the walls?  Would that help?
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Years ago the only refrigeration was a hole in the ground. Might be the way to go if there's no shade close by.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My power center and battery were going to live outside, so I put up a big wall of solar panels to shade them!

I would bury them or build a berm shelter. Use concrete blocks to build a smallish block room then push dirt/sand up and around it. It's a challenge, electronics don't like heat either!

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Two things. 

Concrete block transfers heat. Suggest you use a better insulator. Below ground is a good idea. 

Use LiFeP04 batteries and simply shut the system down when you aren’t there
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Use the panels to generate shade over the shed roof.   use tall standoffs to reduce heat buildup between panels & roof

Use timers and fans to pre-chill   the shed   interior at night, and leave the eve's blocking out, so that the top of the wall, is just a screened slot the entire length, lets hot air out, without letting cool air spill out .

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being a desert you might want to consider underground like they do in Australia 
    https://youtu.be/-1XSKu3pK8A
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020 #9
    Options
    cptdondo said:

The nearest shade is about 8 miles away. ;)  But I like the idea of housing them below ground. I can excavate a hole cheap, and there's no rain to speak of.  :smile:  

How about making shade?  A basic Ramada could be built over the container. Make it with large enough overhangs to shade the sides and mount your panels on it.Too much work?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Make sure to use a white roof with plenty of air circulation. Any other color roof will be at least 30 F degrees hotter. Same for the walls of a small shed if you can handle the Mediterranean look. 

Experiment with an IR heat gun. You will be astounded by the heat difference between white and any other color. 

I’ve personally had good results using “attic foil” beneath a white tin roof. Hang the foil so that it has a 1-1/2” or bigger belly under the tin. 

The foil reflects most of the radiant heat back through the tin roof. I got mine from a Texas mfg. Do not use the “insulated foil” as it breaks down. All you need is the radiant barrier. 

Best of luck. 
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020 #11
    Options
    There is solar paint that keeps the sun from heating a structure significantly over ambient temperatures. It is about like aluminum in terms of heat absorption. Works well but takes a couple coats - there is no dark dye in it.

You said you can excavate - there you go. Should be cool enough when 6' deep or so. Avoiding heat is paramount.

Lot to be said for building partially underground. Nuke proof for one thing. Close to Los Alamos? Some big military complex down there seems to use a great deal of light - shows up in night pictures. Sandia Labs? The name escapes me at the moment.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I put generator shed and inverter shed back to back, the high side of the roof is open screen for ventilation, generator shed has chainlink gate as a door for ventilation.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• cptdondo
    Options
    softdown Close to Los Alamos? Some big military complex down there seems to use a great deal of light - shows up in night pictures. Sandia Labs? The name escapes me at the moment. 
    Close enough that my satellite and cell phone wig out at random times.

Just heard from the power company. Looks like I could have power for about $15k - which makes it very attractive compared to solar/wind.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Given the heat producing shortened lives of batteries and electronics - I'd go with grid power. I spent 20k on solar doing the work myself. One still has to be extremely vigilant about managing ones own power plant - so to speak. Your grid power should be a reasonable price I would think.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020 #15
    Options
    The OP should also just consider the batteries as expendable. They may only last 5 years and it is just the cost of doing a power system in a place that is not friendly.

If you can do power for 15K you would be pretty crazy not to solve this the easy way.

The best way I have found to do this challenge is build a ground floor garage and living upstairs. I think it is called a coachmen design to architects. A bit harder to cool the upstairs but guaranteed cool down stairs. Probably less than 78 down there and 105 outside. A split heat pump upstairs when you are there and you are in the catbird seat. Probably done this over 50 times now.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Check your minimum monthly billing... A few folks (in Canada?) had a weekend cabin, and a small solar power system + genset was a better deal that paying 12 months a year minimum bill (something like $48 to $96 a month or so at the time???).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset