Rattlesnake Hills - Options?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Talk about a truly "In the weeds" discussion! 

Trying to keep my work outs highly varied I hiked some hills that I have not frequented in some time. Discovered not one, but two, annoyed rattlers about ten minutes apart. The hills are extremely rocky, rattlers are noted for liking rocky areas. Rabbits also seem to like rocky areas for the refuge offered. With prey comes their predators it would seem. Should I:
1) Avoid this area during the months of rattlesnake activity?
2) Go rattlesnake hunting. Cause dem's good eatin'.
3) Man up. A few rattlers shouldn't scare anyone off. After all, most victims survive. Do you really need all four limbs anyway?
4) Notify Ingsoc of a possible rattlesnake refuge that may be in need of various government actions? Speaking of which, week-ends are productive times to work on the social credit score. Thus-
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say notify any appropriate government agencies as soon as possible.  If the snake population is anywhere near the Alligator population here,  they have to be near extinction.   I mean,  2 springs ago I only count about 300 gators in a 1 hour boat ride (true story).
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • softdown
    MrM1 said:
    I'd say notify any appropriate government agencies as soon as possible.  If the snake population is anywhere near the Alligator population here,  they have to be near extinction.   I mean,  2 springs ago I only count about 300 gators in a 1 hour boat ride (true story).
    Having considered the toxicity of the rattlesnake, our esteemed government has given at least one species special consideration as an "endangered species". A couple months ago a state park employee was telling me about the lady and her dog that got bit that day. I cheerfully responded that I had administered "last dance" to an aggressive rattler close to the parking area. He responded "Don't tell anybody, you could get in trouble."

True story. I figure that predators think alike and this type of bonding and protection is the result. Treating rattlesnake bites is only a few hundred thousands dollars around here. We need more protection and more protected space for such a valued species. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd shoot the damned things (if I had a gun), but then again I'm a prole not far from the middle of nowhere.

Nature is always trying to kill us, and it eventually wins  ;)
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited October 2019 #5
    We are probably going to have the same issues in California with Mountain Lions (1986 to 2014):

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Mammals/Mountain-Lion/Attacks

DateTypeAttack LocationCountyVictim SexVictim Age
    March 1986NonfatalCaspers Wilderness ParkOrangeFemale5 yrs.
    Oct. 1986NonfatalCaspers Wilderness ParkOrangeMale6 yrs.
    March 1992NonfatalGaviota State ParkSanta BarbaraMale9 yrs.
    Sept. 1993NonfatalCuyamaca State ParkSan DiegoFemale10 yrs.
    Apr. 1994FatalAuburn State Recreation AreaEl DoradoFemale40 yrs.
    Aug. 1994NonfatalMendocino County (remote)MendocinoMale50s
    NonfatalFemale50s
    Dec. 1994FatalCuyamaca State ParkSan DiegoFemale56 yrs.
    Mar. 1995NonfatalMt. Lowe (San Gabriel Mtns.)Los AngelesMale27 yrs.
    Jan. 2004FatalWhiting Ranch Regional ParkOrangeMale35 yrs.
    Jan. 2004NonfatalWhiting Ranch Regional ParkOrangeFemale30 yrs.
    June 2004NonfatalSequoia National ForestTulareFemale28 yrs.
    Jan. 2007NonfatalPrairie Creek Redwoods State ParkHumboldtMale70 yrs.
    Jul. 2012NonfatalConfluence of Shady Creek and Yuba RiverNevadaMale63 yrs.
    Sept. 2014NonfatalCupertinoSanta ClaraMale6 yrs.

Note: According to historical reports, four additional fatal incidents involving six victims occurred around the turn of the previous century. Furthermore, two additional incidents have been reported by the media as attacks. However, they do not fit the criteria of verifiable attacks on humans and were not confirmed. One incident involved a turkey hunter who was camouflaged and calling for turkeys when a mountain lion approached from behind. Immediately after the mountain lion confronted the hunter and realized that the hunter was not a turkey, the lion ran away. This is not judged to be an attack on a human. Every indication suggests that if the hunter had not been camouflaged and calling like a turkey, the mountain lion would have avoided him. The other incident on the Los Padres National Forest was described as a mountain lion attack on a boy near a stream. However, the alleged injuries were not verified by a physician, law enforcement officer or CDFW personnel.

More attacts since then (4 year old in San Diego Ca, one of the latest this year). A couple of cubs caught in coastal town 20 miles south of San Francisco. A park closed south of SF due to mountain lion activity.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/29/san-diego-attack-the-latest-in-a-long-string-of-dust-ups-between-californians-mountain-lions/

Prior to 1994 or so, only two people died around 1909--Actually they survived the attack but died from Rabies.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/22/killed-by-mountain-lions-details-of-california-attacks/

Snake Bite deaths:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States

A fair number of "imported snakes" (cobras and such) in the list (at least they had permits and "were experts").

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
     Timber Ratters are the most dangerous version around here and they are indeed Federally protected. Living on a lake, Cottonmouth's are out and about, along with copperheads.Snakes are generally not looking for a fight - they have survival instincts too. Broadly speaking, by far most snake bites are non-leathal - by the snakes own choice. Defensive hits are a more of a warning, as opposed to pumping a full load of venom.
    If you live in woods, a small pistol loaded with "snake shot" is a simple solution - at least for the first few rounds. Snake shot is typically tiny #12 pellets like a miniature shotgun,  It is important to learn to ID snakes because the "good guys" effectively attack and kill the "bad guys." ALL snakes get a pass from me, unless they are venomous and get too close to the house.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    BB. said:
    We are probably going to have the same issues in California with Mountain Lions (1986 to 2014):

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Mammals/Mountain-Lion/Attacks

DateTypeAttack LocationCountyVictim SexVictim Age
    March 1986NonfatalCaspers Wilderness ParkOrangeFemale5 yrs.
    Oct. 1986NonfatalCaspers Wilderness ParkOrangeMale6 yrs.
    March 1992NonfatalGaviota State ParkSanta BarbaraMale9 yrs.
    Sept. 1993NonfatalCuyamaca State ParkSan DiegoFemale10 yrs.
    Apr. 1994FatalAuburn State Recreation AreaEl DoradoFemale40 yrs.
    Aug. 1994NonfatalMendocino County (remote)MendocinoMale50s
    NonfatalFemale50s
    Dec. 1994FatalCuyamaca State ParkSan DiegoFemale56 yrs.
    Mar. 1995NonfatalMt. Lowe (San Gabriel Mtns.)Los AngelesMale27 yrs.
    Jan. 2004FatalWhiting Ranch Regional ParkOrangeMale35 yrs.
    Jan. 2004NonfatalWhiting Ranch Regional ParkOrangeFemale30 yrs.
    June 2004NonfatalSequoia National ForestTulareFemale28 yrs.
    Jan. 2007NonfatalPrairie Creek Redwoods State ParkHumboldtMale70 yrs.
    Jul. 2012NonfatalConfluence of Shady Creek and Yuba RiverNevadaMale63 yrs.
    Sept. 2014NonfatalCupertinoSanta ClaraMale6 yrs.

Note: According to historical reports, four additional fatal incidents involving six victims occurred around the turn of the previous century. Furthermore, two additional incidents have been reported by the media as attacks. However, they do not fit the criteria of verifiable attacks on humans and were not confirmed. One incident involved a turkey hunter who was camouflaged and calling for turkeys when a mountain lion approached from behind. Immediately after the mountain lion confronted the hunter and realized that the hunter was not a turkey, the lion ran away. This is not judged to be an attack on a human. Every indication suggests that if the hunter had not been camouflaged and calling like a turkey, the mountain lion would have avoided him. The other incident on the Los Padres National Forest was described as a mountain lion attack on a boy near a stream. However, the alleged injuries were not verified by a physician, law enforcement officer or CDFW personnel.

More attacts since then (4 year old in San Diego Ca, one of the latest this year). A couple of cubs caught in coastal town 20 miles south of San Francisco. A park closed south of SF due to mountain lion activity.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/29/san-diego-attack-the-latest-in-a-long-string-of-dust-ups-between-californians-mountain-lions/

Prior to 1994 or so, only two people died around 1909--Actually they survived the attack but died from Rabies.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/22/killed-by-mountain-lions-details-of-california-attacks/

Snake Bite deaths:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States

A fair number of "imported snakes" (cobras and such) in the list (at least they had permits and "were experts").

-Bill
    I get concerned when I hear the rattling and can't see where it is coming from. Got more energetic when that happened this morning. As remote as I get I might be best off swallowing a bunch of aspirin and toughing it out. Getting medical help would take a l-o-n-g time and they only keep a single vial of anti-venom locally with plans of getting more flown in from Denver. Shoot - I have considered stocking my own anti-venom. Have encountered a l-o-t of rattlers in my days. Three dogs have been bit to date. All survived. 

A number of bites do not inject a full dose. That is why the vast majority survive. Then we have the guy who died after trying to kill the rattler. I tend to doubt his skill set. It isn't that hard. I was doing it at eight years of age if the snake was close to human habitation. 

I let both go today. Very little human locomotion in their locale. Government can howl at the moon all it wants, if a rattler is close to a house it's days might be countable if I run into it. Sorry about being so old school but I think humans and their pet dogs are more important than rattlers. Really. old. school. 
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019 #8
    Interestingly the number of people killed in the U.S. by dogs is 6 to 10 times that snakes.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    I really don't like snakes (mean ones), gators or sharks... And odd live near /with all 3. Lol 
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • Estragon
    As there are no deadly snakes in my neck of the woods (AFAIK), I leave them be.  If there were, I'd deal with them accordingly.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Estragon
    mcgivor said:
    Interestingly the number of people killed in the U.S. by dogs is 6 to 10 times that snakes.
    I feel kind of sorry for the dogs.  We breed them to do what they do. Then they do it, and we blame the dog.
    Off-grid.  
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    The most dangerous things around here are Humans .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Our humans are pretty good up here in the mountains. Even the homeless that are mandated to live in each county are a bit more realistic.
    Something about mountain weather in winter make folks a bit more conscious of 50 degree + temp changes in really short time periods. 

Mariposa (the Sierra in general) is a great place for someone with minimal education. There is plenty of work cutting firewood in winter and weed whacking in  Summer. Both can easily earn $20+ an hour tax free. Plenty of caretaker jobs for the retired also up here.

The homeless mostly want to be homeless and so they start filtering out before the first snows in November.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    mcgivor said:
    A lot of people have never encountered a poisonous snake. We all encounter thousands of dogs in our lives. Most dog bites are highly exaggerated anyway. I stuck my arm in the middle of a dog fight and got eight punctures. Frankly - it was nothing at all. Didn't even hurt a little. Bled for awhile though. I soaked it in synthetic seawater which does magic for my cuts and punctures. I'm a medical rebel who has not seen a doctor since about 2005ish. That was an auto accident - those can hurt you.  Went to the dentist after 15 years though - no cavities. 

I think people should take of themselves instead of depending on magic pills from their doctors and dentists. Being healthy will never come from popping petrochemicals and psychotropics. Guess my rebelliousness shows up...frequently. 
  • softdown
    Cleaning insides of tires prior to mounting. Feel something soft and spongy and squish it. It was apparently a Black Widow spider. Geez. 
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Estragon said:
    mcgivor said:
    I feel kind of sorry for the dogs.  We breed them to do what they do. Then they do it, and we blame the dog.
    Yeah it is kind of sad that the dogs get a bad reputation, the ''owners" of the most offensive dogs are usually the most offense people, Nigeria takes it to the next level with Hyenas, they could bite someone's leg off if they were so inclined.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • softdown
    Doesn't help your tourism trade when the occasional visitor gets their head removed with a machete. But I'm pretty sure we can no longer acknowledge reality. Never know when the Inner Circle pops in after a bot notifies them a taboo word or thought has been posted somewhere. 
  • softdown
    edited October 2019 #18
    mcgivor said:
    Estragon said:
    mcgivor said:
    Yeah it is kind of sad that the dogs get a bad reputation, the ''owners" of the most offensive dogs are usually the most offense people, Nigeria takes it to the next level with Hyenas, they could bite someone's leg off if they were so inclined.
    Looks like worlds worst pet from here: "But in reality Hyenas are the last thing that should come to your mind when it comes to keeping pets. Hyenas as by nature are wild animals which cannot be tamed or domesticated. as we all know wild animals are unpredictable and therefore it shouldn't be a surprise if your pet hyena tries to maul you to death. Being hardcore carnivores and scavengers the hyenas are equipped with a very powerful jaw that have short and robust teeth that can break bones and carcass of dead and rotting animals. They have a very good build and are also known for being very aggressive. There have been several incidents of hyena attacks which have been recorded in many parts of Africa. In the earlier times , in Mulanje, Malawi in 1962, there were a pair of man eating hyenas which were responsible for deaths of 27 people, they were shot later and weighed around 150–170 lbs. In Uganda there were several cases of deaths of people suffering from African sleeping sickness as they used to sleep outside health camps and the hyenas would kill them during the night time. But the most ugliest case was seen in the Mzimba district of Agoniland where spotted hyenas would wait outside the huts of people and would attack them when they opened their doors. Even when it comes to hygiene, hyenas do not stand up to the mark, as mentioned earlier these animals are scavengers so they tend to have a lot of disease causing pathogens and deadly bacteria in their saliva so one good bite from them can surely cause a very nasty infection. Even hyenas are known to spread rabies. The hyenas possess a large pouch of skin on their anal openings, these are responsible for making a white creamy secretion known as Hyena butter which the hyena use for territorial marking . This hyena butter is one of the stinkiest and smelliest substance which can be even detected by a human standing several meters away. So in the end i would like to say even though the hyenas are very important and majestic animals of the wild but they stand a chance of being tamed or domesticated and thus hyenas should not be kept as pets"

From Quora

Did have a friend in Texas with a full grown African lion for a pet. It. was. interesting. Charged me once but the chain held. Charles, the owner, said "That was close." Maybe I seen a blur. Maybe I didn't.