Here Comes Trouble: FL bracing for Hurricane Dorian

MrM1
MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
As of last nite upper steering currents looked like it could probably turn the storm north away from FL and possibly the US. 2pm models today are telling a different story and the central east coast of FL looks to be under the gun. Possibly cat 3.

Here just east of Gainesville FL it could get pretty bumpy. I'll tie down my array Sunday afternoon before the weather deteriorates. Hopefully my sagging battery can keep up. All I really need is about 15 hrs of power per charge from my 24v 435ah system. I'll average about 200-400 watts per hour. But I also got my 4000w Gen tied into my inverter. So I'm pretty ready.

Be safe out there 
REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Although probably unknown to most, typhoon Podul, a category 3 storm passed through Asia yesterday, the predictions of its path were very accurate, the eye was to pass directly over us. The predictions of rain were of most concern as 12 inches on already waterlogged soil would mean potential flooding. 

At around 11 am there was a brief downpour lasting around 5 minutes, the sky cleared with bright sunshine, the wind however was intense taking down trees and lifting roofing from many homes. We were in the eye of the storm, the areas around us got the rain and wind with localized flooding.

Being that Dorian is still far offshore makes predictions all the more difficult, let's hope it takes a northern path for Florida's sake but that would only put others in harms way, some of whom may not be prepared due to media focus on Florida. Either way trouble is on the way.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • MrM1
    Hey Mcgivor,  how you weathered it OK.  I guess the fact that you are talking here means (at least to some degree) you did.  Did your array stay put?  That is my main concern.

(BTW,  the water treated cell is back up to normal operating SG ranges - thanks for walking me thru that procedure)
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • mcgivor
    We weathered the storm without any issues, the arrays were unscathed, lost a few trees, mostly due to saturated soil from previous rainfall, the blessing was we were in the eye of the storm, 100 Km to the south there was flooding and perhaps to the north  as well but that is a different country, Laos. 

My arrays are mounted on welded steel frames embedded in concrete, being at ~30° from horizontal means there is little sail effect, they have endured much higher wind in past storms so not something I'm particularly worried about. Building for the worst case scenario in hurricane prone locations would be wise, I'm amazed that there are so many vulnerable structures in these locations like mobile homes.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019 #5
    mcgivor said:
    ...but that would only put others in harms way, some of whom may not be prepared due to media focus on Florida. .
    Don't worry Trump is warning the people of Alabama. Not sure why the Alabama NWS didn't concur;

Of course Trump has never seen a category 5 storm...

I have a third eye in the middle of my forehead from banging my head against the wall.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mcgivor
    Photowhit said:
    mcgivor said:
    ...but that would only put others in harms way, some of whom may not be prepared due to media focus on Florida. .
    Don't worry Trump is warning the people of Alabama. Not sure why the Alabama NWS didn't concur;

I have a third eye in the middle of my forehead from banging my head against the wall.

These storms will go wherever they want, we're in the path for yet another heading about 2°N of our location which probably will result in torrential rain, today we had significant rain for 3 hours, only to further saturate the soil, the runoff is still flowing 8 hours later.

Hurricane Dorian is a strange storm, now stalled over th the Bahamas, the forecast is for it to move north, I don't have much faith in the predictions, anything could happen.

Personally I try to be apolitical but you do have a winner there that's for sure, not worth banging ones head over though, perhaps a vote is the best alternative.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Photowhit said:
    mcgivor said:

Not sure what this is saying. Trump has partially lived in S Florida for a few decades. Didn't his Caribbean house get hit a couple years ago? 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A very polarized country that has to get into politics on everything. Only really smart people never get to see a CAT 5. Crossing my fingers for the OP here!

The equivalent of an EF3 over Nassau for 12 hours. Unprecedented. Good Luck Mon!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    edited September 2019 #9
    A very polarized country that has to get into politics on everything. Only really smart people never get to see a CAT 5. Crossing my fingers for the OP here!

The equivalent of an EF3 over Nassau for 12 hours. Unprecedented. Good Luck Mon!
    Was hoping for an early morning update and got this: "Hurricane Dorian had information on the Clintons and disappeared last night." Kind of funny while augmenting your point. The political fighting was interesting for awhile. Quite awhile ago. We need to heal our wounds and I'm not sure how that is going to happen. We need something big for national unity to re-appear, that is presently difficult to visualize.

Any thoughts on comedian Chappell's latest show?  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dave_chappelle_sticks_and_stones

Dorian is now a Cat 3 that may not hit the US. Yesterday I was reading that it was the most powerful hurricane ever. People just love to scare people it seems. https://news.yahoo.com/tropical-storm-dorian-expected-turn-174952107.html

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • MrM1
    Looks like we are going to dodge the Dorian Bullet and I probably will not even need the battery backup / Solar system as we will probably never lose power.  Looks like there has been significant downgrading this morning but that darn storm still refuses to move much.
  • Dave Angelini
    1 MPH of movement. Going to be some horrible footage out of the Bahamas if anyone had a battery or watertight camera. Still pounding them after 3 days. Other than the high tides/surge at rivers and beach entries it should just be a wet windy week for east Florida. Dodged the bullet! 

• Dave Angelini

• softdown
    Suddenly the mountains look a little better. Water can be almost as bad as fire. 

That island appears to be below sea level in the interior. 

• Dave Angelini
    Definitely like the mountains! Pretty nasty out there for a long time to come. Feel very sorry for them.

We have a dock cleat on out deck as a joke. Pull out a few balusters and boats can tie up at 3,200 feet. :)
    About 150 mile boat trip for the moderator here ;)

• softdown
    Almost all uphill though. Pretty tough sail. 
  • Dave Angelini
    edited September 2019 #16
    softdown said:
    Suddenly the mountains look a little better. Water can be almost as bad as fire. 

That island appears to be below sea level in the interior. 

Why not do both water and fire like those poor souls on the dive boat in the Channels :'(