It's going to be close to cost effective! or Off grid at 26 cents a KWh!

Options
2»

Comments

• Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019 #32
    Options

I have been using a Rolls Surette set of flooded lead acid for a few years now. They shipped out the door at Rolls June , 14, 2005. Almost 14 years old they are only teenagers. They test as new with more capacity than my much newer Interstate FLA's now 6 years old..I will get 20 years from the Surettes........id like to see anyone get that kind of service out of AGM's

2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019 #33
    Options

@DaangeroussDan

It appears you have a whole lot to learn about creating a cost effective system. Love you see your AGM solution!

I need a 16Kwh battery bank that will last 12-15 years and has the potential to last 20+. Mine cost $2525 delivered. I spend a very small amount of time every month checking up on it. Think 15 minutes and 2-3 gallon of distilled water a year, feel free to add $50 to the cost of the battery.

Also... I DON'T WANT A BATTERY INSIDE!!! I'm happy to have it outside. The reduced capacity is not harming anything when I use the system minimally in the winter.

Glad you aren't spending my money! How cost effective is your system? I'm brave enough to post mine and at this point my costs are less than the grid, with a power pole on my property! I don't know of anyone else who can make that claim short of Hawaii!

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mcnutt13579
    mcnutt13579 Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Options

I really want to like AGM, but the number of cycles to a given DOD is so much lower than flooded, plus they cost much more per unit of energy stored. So shorter lifetime, higher gross cost. How can this possibly work for anyone? Show us the math. And use some real batteries for comparison, at least 800 amp hours single string 48 volts. None of this L16/GC2 stuff, we have real houses to run here.