Schneider Conext XW+ = What nightmares are made of

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP was having problems because of the battery chemistry NiFe. Crown batteries that you have do not need the higher voltage he needed. There actually has been a work-around for his battery for quite a long time but the right people at Schneider were not in the loop, for whatever reason. The problem also is that a hybrid inverter charger system is not a good first time project without a good resource. The same thing happens too often at Outback also.

In the yachting world almost anyone with money can buy a very large boat and go up the intercoastal water way. They can safely navigate it or just write more checks as they crash their way to the next dock. That is my favorite analogy. Interesting to watch if your boat is far away.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With my NiFe, I found, even before purchasing gear, how to set the voltage limits with the SCP.   The ComBox can do it too, and even easier.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• TGC
    TGC Registered Users Posts: 17 ✭✭
    2x MPPT 80 600
    1x XW+ 8548
    48V x 500Ah of NiFe
    40 x 250w Rene Sola panels

I was having similar issues with batteries not recharging fully before going to float, I bumped up the bulk and absorption to 64V (literally yesterday before reading this thread...), hopefully it will fix it.
    I limited it before to 63V to avoid the overvoltage warning, but I just have to ignore it... fortunately it's just a warning
    I have NiFe, so Dave I will email you - I would LOVE to get the voltage to 67V !! Am in Oz, though so we mau not have the same firmware.

Now I have another problem:
    The SC does not seem to take full advantage of sun available.
    Scenario: am charging at 40A, in the middle of day, full sun - there would be > 6Kw available if need be.
    A load kicks in and the SC DROPS the charge to about 30A instead of the panels absorbing the extra load !!!

Can anyone help me solve the second issue? It may have been posted before but couldn'y find it.

Thanks
  • mike95490
    There is a firmware update for the Schneider Charge Controllers.

I use both Midnight and Morningstar controllers, and they are flexible enough to get my Absorb voltage up high enough.

What is the SC you are talking about ??
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• TGC
    Thanks Mike, I guess I might have to do the firmware update... a bit hesitant to launch into it, but probably have to.

By SC I mean the MPPT (aka solar controller). Can't figure out why it does not deliver more to the load...

Regarding absorb voltage I looked at the first day of charge at 64V (without load diuring the day to avoid the problem above), looks like the attached picture. Charge current (orange) plateaus for most the day at 35A, then drops very abruptly and the MPPT starts to float. Does that picture make sense to you? The plateau seems odd to me, strange that the current should stay constant for that long, no?
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    TGC,
    Just a guess, but it looks like absorb is ending prematurely. May need a higher absorb volts setting or a higher charge rate.

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know much about the charge cycle for those batteries, but if they were LA, it would look to me like there is no absorb. Sorta looks like shade starts hitting around 4:30 while still in bulk or just starting absorb?

40a in bulk seems low, but is that a normal charge rate for 500ah Nife?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini

Looks like over 80A to me and the middle of the day hours are normal with a solar output between 4 and 5KW. I do not see a problem here.

Load test the system with heaters or loads but the problem I see is what Estragon said, the 80A is not rolling off in absorb on a 500AH bank.

Please explain why there are 2 batteries, 2 CC's for only 6KW, and the graph. Why are there hours of -50 amps (6:30-9:30) at night?

• Estragon
    Dave - maybe I'm reading the chart wrong, but the orange line labelled as "BatI" looks to be around 40a?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mike95490
    Looks like you loose direct sun at 4:30pm and things go (as I would expect) "downhill" from there.  Curve shape looks much like my yesterday:   (4pm I loose sun, and my voltage starts to crash)

• Dave Angelini
    I guess I am reading his graph wrong. Bat one is current .
    Load test the system with a heater or large loads during the middle of the day. Look at the mppts and compare if identical wiring and orientation. I do see 80A at the start so load test and check that the voltage holds at noon!

The more you tell us the better your answers will be! How old is the system, Is this typical if an older system etc

• TGC
    mike95490 said:
    Looks like you loose direct sun at 4:30pm and things go (as I would expect) "downhill" from there.  Curve shape looks much like my yesterday:   (4pm I loose sun, and my voltage starts to crash)

First, guys thanks this is super useful.
    @mike95490 we didn't lose sunlight at 4:30, I usually lose it about 1hr later (shade of trees) in summer (ie now in Australia), and I can't recall 4:30 on that day but I don't think there were clouds. Can you think of any other possible reason for the mppt to decide to float?
  • TGC
    edited February 2018 #74
    I guess I am reading his graph wrong. Bat one is current .
    Load test the system with a heater or large loads during the middle of the day. Look at the mppts and compare if identical wiring and orientation. I do see 80A at the start so load test and check that the voltage holds at noon!

The more you tell us the better your answers will be! How old is the system, Is this typical if an older system etc
    You are right, BatI is current. @Estragon you are right as well, 40A is low in absorb, and I can't figure out why is the MPPT seemingly starving the baterries when it could go 80A?
    @Dave Angelini the reason I did the test without load is the other question in my post. If I put a load on (heater), I get the same results, but the absorb just stays at 25A instead of 35/40A? Ie looks like the MPPT balance some artificial limit between load and charging?

It is summer here and in full sun at nood I can generate over 4Kw on each set of panels... but it just doesn't.
    My data logger decided to stop yesterday morning without telling me so I can't post the same charts with a load (will do that tomorrow), but I jusst had a look. It's 11:30am in Australia. Full sun. Load heater 2.3Kw. Voltage 64.3 (Schneider limited to 64V, so that is the max I can get) and holding perfectly, Still the charge current is 24.6A...

You can see from the charge that I can generate 80A at 7am, and that is with one panel almost in the shade (see below for configuration), so at noon should be a piece of cake, but it decides to taper off - why?

The system is almost brand new. It was configured 9 months ago, but we moved in 3 months ago so that's when we really started using it. It was apparently working fine, until the first consecutive days of rain which were last week.. yes we get 3 months of uninterrupted sunshine here :) and of course we ran the batteries almost flat in 3 days, and that's when I noticed I didn't get the full charge back.

My configuration is :
    2x MPPT 80 600
    1x XW+ 8548
    48V x 500Ah of NiFe
    40 x 250w Rene Sola panels. I have one set of panels facing east (20 of them), and the other facing west, on a 20deg pitch roof.
    In summer here the sun is almost at zenith (lat -25.5) so at noon, I should get close to 8-9Kw.
    I did get >4Kw on one panel one day, so the wiring should not be an issue.
    The west panel laways give less. I was told by the installer that is because it is in a 'slave' position, so it is called upon only if the first one is not sufficient (??).

Sorry for the long post, guys, hope that answers your questions. Thanks for the help.
  • Estragon
    I wouldn't completely rule out a wiring problem, especially given the problem apparently started when it rained.

I'm also wondering about possible configuration issues. How are the panels wired (how many in series, how many in parallel in each array)? What are the Voc and Vmp ratings on your panels? What is the input voltage going to each array in full sun? Aside from the rain, is it unusually hot or cold there now?
    Off-grid.  
  • Raj174
    @TGC
    The MPPT controller goes to float only when the absorb time is completed according to setting  or when the absorb END AMPS setting is reached. What are the absorb time and end amp settings in the controller set to? When did the the system go to float in the graph you posted? 

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018 #77
    Being that the panels are 20° East and 20°West, there are 2 angles in play, call it X &Y axis if you like, there will never  be a situation where the sun strikes all the panels perfectly, there may be a very short period where it comes close, but never perfect. Having the panels arranged in such a configuration will spread the production over the course of the day, rather than providing maximum output, programing to account for this, in terms of absorption minutes, would be critical, if the end amps or 2% of of battery capacity is not met, then the time should supercede, or vice versa. If time is what is required, this would provide a long and slow charge, rather than hard and fast, this may account for the limited current as seen, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, in fact batteries generally respond better to a long charge at reduced current, as opposed to the inverse. Naturally if daytime loads are critical, this may not be the ideal configuration.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited February 2018 #78
    I do not see an SCP or combox listed? As a system the data is very clear with either of these devices involved! You need one of them!
    If your measurement system is "not quite right" all of this is questionable.

You can just do the test and watch voltage at noon. It should not sag on a good solar day!

This system goes to float based on user programed battery capacity or Absorb time Rick BTW!

Combox system with Soc yesterday here in the mountains.

• Raj174
    "This system goes to float based on user programed battery capacity or Absorb time Rick BTW!"

Thank you Dave

• Dave Angelini
    De Nada!  The title of this thread was a tough pill to swallow for Schneider. They really thought the unit could go to 67V but yet another reason for field testing. They were paranoid (rightly) also about this high of voltage being accidentally programmed for a typical battery. I felt sorry for the OP but a system like this or the Radian is not anything for a novice when it is grid-tied. Offgrid they are very straightforward if you put the effort in. 

Companies have issues also with  senior turnover and I pulled this one in from yesterday with some installers I know on the Radian.

"Hi Folks.....Outback no longer supports AC coupling on their Radian systems.  My understanding is that it is because of the unreliability of the ROCB (remote operated circuit breaker) they were using.  I have heard that they are imminently going to release a white paper about AC coupling using a solid state relay instead.  I was wondering if any of you have done this?  Do you have any advice about the settings for the Auxiliary output settings that control the relay?  Looking for programming advice on the mate 3.  I talked to Outback today and they said until the white paper is released they won't be giving instructions or advice on this capability.  They did tell me not to use the AC couple mode already programmed into the mate 3 auxiliary output control." 

Stuff happens!

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave, You are a real asset to the Off grid community as well as the good folks at Schneider. Having you as a direct line from people with real world situations to the Mfg. is refreshing to see. I see active forum members in this and other solar forums who are also engineers and even founders of the other big inverter/ charge controller companies and it is good to know that they care enough to monitor how their products are working out there and are getting feedback from real people.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• TGC
    Estragon said:
    I wouldn't completely rule out a wiring problem, especially given the problem apparently started when it rained.

I'm also wondering about possible configuration issues. How are the panels wired (how many in series, how many in parallel in each array)? What are the Voc and Vmp ratings on your panels? What is the input voltage going to each array in full sun? Aside from the rain, is it unusually hot or cold there now?
    Good point, although the fact that I can get more under load seems to indicate the wiring should be OK? But you're right... stranger things have happened with wiring.

It's hot as every summer (35-40 C), but not exceptionally so.

I have two sets of 20 panels, 260W each. Vmp being 30.5 volts and the voltage from the panel around 300V, I guess they are two parallel rows of 10 in series. I'll double check with the installer. Voc 37.6.

Attached voltage on a typical day witha few scattered clouds, and the panel specs (look at the 260W model).

• TGC
    I do not see an SCP or combox listed? As a system the data is very clear with either of these devices involved! You need one of them!
    If your measurement system is "not quite right" all of this is questionable.

You can just do the test and watch voltage at noon. It should not sag on a good solar day!

This system goes to float based on user programed battery capacity or Absorb time Rick BTW!

Combox system with Soc yesterday here in the mountains.

Hi Dave, my bad forgot the SCP. I do log from the SCP using the dongle and the Schneider logging program. I didn't get a combox, and I should have in hindsight, I would really recommend it 

The voltage definitely does not sag during the day whatsoever.
    I'll post later today the graphs under load as you suggested (capturing them today).
    Just the battery current has that weird shape flat at 35A forever? It should be much higher, then float earlier - just like yours above.

Also ran a few test yesterday: with 2.2Kw load, one panel supplies 2.3Kw and the other 2Kw, batteries getting 25A. Turn off the load, batteries get 35A, and the panel power deceases: one supplies 1.3Kw and the other one 1Kw... Where does the extra power available go when the load is turned off - why not put it in the batteries??

Again, thanks for the help in cracking this guys... it's really puzzling.
  • Dave Angelini
    I will let Mike comment as he has the same battery chemistry. IMHO the batteries are normal and need more voltage. They will draw what they need at that voltage. It is not puzzling to me :) In my screenshot, the log is into and out of the battery, loads not included BTW

Little Harbor, Thanks for the nice words but I would rather stop by for some fresh Baja Dorado! I will clean it if you get the Pacificos!!
    I am afraid the best I can do here is flash frozen Mahi Mahi from Costco ;) A distant second but very decent.

• mike95490
    TGC said:.......... Where does the extra power available go when the load is turned off - why not put it in the batteries??
    There may be some battery charge amps limit in the system,  When the loads are light, and the battery VOLTAGE is stable, all MPPT controllers either de-tune the MaxPowerPoint, or switch to PWM mode, and the panels are never called on to deliver their power.

Anyone near you that you can borrow a Combox from to see whats really going on ?

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018 #86
    I will let Mike comment as he has the same battery chemistry. IMHO the batteries are normal and need more voltage. They will draw what they need at that voltage. It is not puzzling to me :) In my screenshot, the log is into and out of the battery, loads not included BTW

Little Harbor, Thanks for the nice words but I would rather stop by for some fresh Baja Dorado! I will clean it if you get the Pacificos!!
    I am afraid the best I can do here is flash frozen Mahi Mahi from Costco ;) A distant second but very decent.

I'll see what I can do.  We're heading down for 10 days, starting tomorrow.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• mike95490
    End amps, When my bank is pretty full, the controllers are still putting about 900w into 800ah of batteries, never see it go below that, till the sun goes down!   Morningstar and Midnight controllers don't show on my combox, but I log them all on the same spreadsheet.
    Amps and water are what the NiFe's like.

• TGC
    mike95490 said:
    TGC said:.......... Where does the extra power available go when the load is turned off - why not put it in the batteries??
    There may be some battery charge amps limit in the system,  When the loads are light, and the battery VOLTAGE is stable, all MPPT controllers either de-tune the MaxPowerPoint, or switch to PWM mode, and the panels are never called on to deliver their power.

Anyone near you that you can borrow a Combox from to see whats really going on ?
    Yep, seems like combox is needed. It feels like there is some sort of limiting mode here as you say.

"Amps and water are what the NiFe like". Amps is fine, water ... yes they do like it a bit too much for me :)
  • TGC

Yes, more voltage would be good indeed.. .but 64V is what the XW+ will let you do - do you know what happened to that project to go up to 67V, is it still live? I'd be happy to test that!
  • Dave Angelini
    The firmware revision is released on case by case because of the danger at this voltage and other reasons I seem to remember. My email is below for my business. Send me an e-mail and I will pass it on. Have you done firmware? It does take some skill and unless you remove the mppts from the inverter network, the AC power will go out. Not good to depend on the battery in a laptop to power the Dongle. This must be thought out as people have done some very bad things offgrid to their equipment in very remote places.  That is my standard warning :)

Part of your problem is how inefficient the battery is. If you look at my screenshot of a Lion battery the current drops in about 2 hours or so. The battery is just about fully charged and its internal shunt gives the Soc info to combox,  they are expensive now but perfect for offgrid because they charge so fast on bad days in winter. Mine may outlive me with zero maintenance. What was that huge spike in your current for hours after dark for hours?

• Dave Angelini
    I do not believe there is any limiting in your system beside the battery itself!

No way that it does what you say if it supplies loads and does not voltage sag.

OK, coffee starting to work, there is one way, are your chargers set at 100%? It is the default BTW !

This discussion has been closed.