Which Torque Wrench do you use?

Solray
Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
I was looking at getting a new torque wrench primarily for torquing the battery connection on my bank, The manual calls for 11 inch pounds so one that goes from 20-200 is not an option. I found this one:   
and was wondering if anyone here used it in the past and how well it performed for them.

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't bother with my first large home setup, then borrowed a electricians screwdriver type.

I haven't gone back and done it with my current system.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Solray
    Thank you for your answer. I decided to get the one I linked. Klein has one but it looks like it's not as well made as this one. Usually Klein is a good brand.
    I am surprised that none of the 'experts' use professional tools to do installations or had opinions on them.
  • Photowhit
    Solray said:
    Thank you for your answer. I decided to get the one I linked. Klein has one but it looks like it's not as well made as this one. Usually Klein is a good brand.
    I am surprised that none of the 'experts' use professional tools to do installations or had opinions on them.
    I have a lot of tools specific to solar, special crimping tools, mc4 tools. About the best Fluke clamp and multi meters (I wouldn't own the multi meter, but got a deal when I bought the clamp meter). I've watched a lot of electricians, and have yet to see one actually use a torque screw driver or wrench. Most go by feel, but have one around somewhere incase someone asks (like an inspector).

I think good practices and understanding is important. Use antiox and checking the connections the next day (very important with soft stranded wire) As well as an annual 'check up'.

Here's a link that would help support you opinion from those responsible for inspection. It might provide some added information. 

http://iaeimagazine.org/magazine/2015/01/15/inspecting-electrical-connections-for-proper-torque/
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Solray
    The manufacturer recommends annual re-torque at 75% of the original torque.
    I have most of the tools from projects over the years as well. A select few I have bought new recently for specific needs as they arise.
    Most people do not use a torque wrench for anything, I chose to use them for most things. I even torque lug nuts on my wheels which is not common anywhere but the very best tire shops.

On connections I have always used Lear products corrosion block grease or spray depending on the location.

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017 #6

During my career as an electrican I did use a torque wrench especially  on larger distribution terminals and lugs, re torque is essential on aluminum cable which displaces over time, the reason there were so many house fires associated with its use in the past, not withstanding oxidation. Copper has much less of a problem except multi stranded conductors with screw terminals which experience strand creep, which can lead to high resistance. It's often that electricans simply use the Scott Kilmer" R tight "method"  which is a guess, often results in damage caused from over torqued rather than under torqued. A quality inch pound torque wrench is no cheap but an inexpensive screw driver type, in addition to the one pictured  would be a nice addition for the screw terminals on PC boards and such, sure you develop a feel over time, but that feel is from using a torque wrench in the first place

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Firearms-Accurizing-Torque-Wrench/dp/B0012AXR4S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498879527&sr=8-2&keywords=inch+pound+torque
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Solray
    The feel is wrong 75% of the time too. :) The battery terminals that specify an annual re-torque are terminal lugs with terminals on them, no wire is involved in those connections at all, so the type of wire is not what is important evidently from that point alone. :)
  • Photowhit
    Solray said:
    The feel is wrong 75% of the time too. :) The battery terminals that specify an annual re-torque are terminal lugs with terminals on them, no wire is involved in those connections at all, so the type of wire is not what is important evidently from that point alone. :)

I saw that too, very subjective. hard to measure unless they had someone using a torque wrench/screw driver that was unlimited and read out wasn't available to the person using. Once something is torqued it changes, nature of things.

I actually dislike references like that with out a link or siting the testing body.
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    In NY by law tire shops must torque lug nuts . They do at the cheep tire shop I go to . When I PM my batteries once a month I check connections . 

Thom
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    try this search  'tekton torque wrench review

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    If you have aluminum wheels, you need to get the retorqued after ~ 20 - 100 miles or you have a high chance that the lugs will back off..... wife had it happen recently after taking the winters off for summer quiet driving, about 80 miles !!.. also had it happen  to me after having a brake replacement done by the dealer...!

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    That's just one reason I only use steel wheels. There are several other reasons to avoid aluminum alloy for wheels for a car you put your family into.
  • Solray
    edited July 2017 #13
    > @westbranch said:
    > try this search  'tekton torque wrench review

I see it has very high ratings from the people who bought one. Before I bought it I had only looked at the reviews on Amazon. It has 4.3 out of 5 stars which is a quite high rating so I ordered it. After you suggested looking at more reviews I see it has good ratings all around. It looks like a good buy.
    The number one rating from the top ten best torque wrenches on MCNT was eye opening. :)
    I generally don't recalibrate my wrenches yearly, I just replace them and there doesn't seem to be any reason this one won't last a year for me in its box.
    I have other larger models from other companies like Snap on, Mac, Klein, etc. that are replaced yearly but are used a lot more often than this one will be.
    I like to donate my old tools to charities so more people get the benefit of them.
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    My sons steel wheels just rusted and failed on him . Good reasons not to have steel wheels to. 
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    Never torqued a battery nut in my life.  I Just got it tight.
  • Solray
    Thom said:
    My sons steel wheels just rusted and failed on him . Good reasons not to have steel wheels to. 
    It's actually not a good reason at all for not owning steel wheels. It is a good reason to maintain whatever you own though. :)

I guess your son never learned to maintain the things he owns? Everything needs to be maintained. What about the steel lugs that hold that aluminum wheel to the car...what happens when they rust off and shear away on the freeway if you on't take care of them properly? :)

solorone said:
    Never torqued a battery nut in my life.  I Just got it tight.
    That's true of a lot of people. There were a lot of fires from this practice too before it was mandated that they be torqued properly.
  • mcgivor
    Back to the torque wrench, the important thing to remember with a tool such as the one pictured by the OP, is to back off the preload after use, for the amount of use it would most likely see, not every day, re-calibration is probably a non issue. To a large degree the torque settings for terminals is a form of disclaimer by the manufacturers of equipment to protect themselves from damages caused by over or under torqued fittings, having said this it is always prudent to use the correct tool.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Solray
    You mean prior to storage I assume. That's always a good practice. Thanks for mentioning it.
  • mcgivor
    Your assumption is correct, but often overlooked.