off grid alternatives to cable and satellite?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
This was discussed a couple years ago I think.  Many things can change in that time. What seems to provide the best tv streaming value these days.....for people with normal viewing tastes?

I was happy with Netflix. Their service went to absolute hell when I changed to a much smaller tv with Roku. They say they are having a lot of problems with Roku...a huge problem. Calling their customer service gets Netflix working for about 5 minutes. That is a joke. Tried that a couple times...

Living in a very cold area, it can hit  -30f, tv helps with dark winter days.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I cant speak for the masses but our Roku/Netflix combo works flawlessly. Add to that the myriad of other programming available thru Roku we are very pleased. Could your problem be your ISP itself?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Roku/Netflix works flawlessly here. I don't tend to watch TV, but I can assure you that I would hear about any buffering problems from my wife! But then we have pretty fast service here..........
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Options
    I cant speak for the masses but our Roku/Netflix combo works flawlessly. Add to that the myriad of other programming available thru Roku we are very pleased. Could your problem be your ISP itself?
    Netflix said they are having Roku problems. Other channels work OK. I had used a midget Roku that plugged into the tv HDMI that worked. I like to have a console Roku that is easy to unplug. Pretty big on unplugging stuff. Netflix can make it work..they have three times.

Truth is I generally don't care for newer technology. I am actually stepping backwards.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 #5
    Options
    I would suspect system latency, it killed my connection to the Midnite Solar ''My Midnite" data base and causes a lot of other troubles.....  To a '' TRACERT (name of site or IP add.)"  in the command box to the site you want to get ot , if there are any entries > 500 mseconds you are pie for problems

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • softdown
    Options
    I would suspect system latency, it killed my connection to the Midnite Solar ''My Midnite" data base and causes a lot of other troubles.....  To a '' TRACERT (name of site or IP add.)"  in the command box to the site you want to get ot , if there are any entries > 500 mseconds you are pie for problems
    You may be unto something. The HDMI Roku was maybe 15' from the internet receiver. The console Roku is closer to 25'. Which allows me to unplug it easily. Why do the other channels work though? Why was Netflix able to fix it Everytime I called? Why does it keep crashing a few minutes later?

• cupcake
    cupcake Solar Expert Posts: 254 ✭✭✭
    Options
    dunno how anyone can live off-grid and own a TV... I'm going on 17 years of not owning a TV... there's a whole world out there.. ENJOY THAT!

2 centz

:)

~1.5Kw PV in parallel
    Morningstar MPPT-60 controllers (2) in parallel
    3 Trojan tr-1275's in parallel 450ah total
    Samlex 2,000 watt 12-volt inverter hardwired

• softdown
    Options
    The internet would seem to provide about four major classes of "viewers":
    1) The 75"+ class. They yell from their roof tops whenever they get a chance. If they lose their homes, they can move into the television shipping box.

2) The "no TV at all" class. We have little choice but to surmise that they spend their time building their consequent empire of health and wealth.

3) The $200+/mt cable bill class. They have seen about every movie ever made....three times. By the way, what do you think of Leonard DiCaprios performance in "Don'tUseGasCauseINeedit"?

4) The "I don't give a red cent to the evil cable company" class. The self proclaimed Kings of documentaries, books, youtube, discussion boards, and torrents (possibly).

Then you have a small, hardy group of off gridders. May be found digging through rubbish piles, finding discarded flat screens and fixing them.

*This was presented tongue in cheek*
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I live with out network TV, there I'm on the fringe of 2 networks and PBS, but I'd need to have a directional antenna and move it around. I can watch most of the network TV shows off the DSL from their websites, even manage to stream some football games. It's enough for me. I have movies via on line sources, Amazon but I have to download to watch anything in high resolution.

I find as I age, I like to be doing other things with my time and it takes a long exhausting day for me to sit through a movie. I now prefer to collect information for all the assorted projects I have going on via the internet. Now to go collect some information on creating a bird viewing room...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    Options
    Couldn't resist a Black Friday 10" tablet for $100. Not sorry about that buy. Much more energy efficient than a laptop. Allows the user to "beam" various services to their Roku.

Downside....I don't like being asked for my age. I said I was 88 years old. The beaming service makes so much money showing me medicine ads that they will not let me buy the "pro package" with no ads.....$2.99. Or....so it seems. The quality of the footage is also pretty abysmal. Mostly 240p-360p to date.....which is one day of usage. Decent time passer overall.
  • morpho
    morpho Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, how about your local Library? Mine has a modest selection of films, docs and tv on DVD and they are networked with many other libraries that will send them from that branches selection. 

I have netflix as well. The key to successful netflix playback and keeping the data usage low is to change the default settings to the lowest resolution available. (or to whatever your personal tolerance it) The default is HD and that sucks a tonne of data from your plan and bogs down your connection.

If you are having a hard time with your Roku, try plugging your laptop or desktop into your tv. Works great on ours.

Or as Cupcake suggested (paraphrasing here) "screw the TV and go experience life...it's always HD"
    Now with that said, I just got my first ever TV last year and I'm closing in on 50 years old......tonight is a new episode of The Walking Dead! Nuff said.

Good luck
    11.5 kw array  -  3 - midnite solar classic 200's   -  Magnum MS-PAE Inverter  -  Magnum ME-RC50 remote  -  ME-BMK batt-monitor  -  8 DEKA Solar GC15 230amp hour (48v) - Yamaha ef3000ise - 1 confused look on face
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 #12
    Options
    Another option is build a HDTV antenna out of a few coat hang wires and a balun matching  transformer, and for less than $5 you could enjoy free over the air HDTV and cut the umbilical cord of mental mastibation, Google HDTV antenna diy, there are plenty of plans. Have made one in the past and the resolution is better than cable as the signal is not compressed.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • softdown
    Options
    mcgivor said:
    Another option is build a HDTV antenna out of a few coat hang wires and a balun matching  transformer, and for less than $5 you could enjoy free over the air HDTV and cut the umbilical cord of mental mastibation, Google HDTV antenna diy, there are plenty of plans. Have made one in the past and the resolution is better than cable as the signal is not compressed.
    We have previously discussed tv antennae at some length. The conclusion was that an antennae would likely not do much at this location. In reality, two different high tech antennae failed to deliver a single channel.

Mental *************? Umbilical cords? How is the second bottle of wine doing?
  • mcgivor
    Options
    Just metaphors........The commercial antennas don't work well, mounted mine about 30 feet up on a pole outside in Vancouver Canada and got signals from Seattle Tacoma over 150 miles away, had a shield behind which made it directional but greatly enhanced the quality.
    mcgivor said:
    We have previously discussed tv antennae at some length. The conclusion was that an antennae would likely not do much at this location. In reality, two different high tech antennae failed to deliver a single channel.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • westbranch
    Options
    well out here at the end of 200 miles of road and down an isolated valley, we don't have much choice...  so it is one of 2 sat. connection  companies...  There is a new option coming soon (To a ______ near you) that promises to be faster and  a bit cheaper..

Anyway,  look for Waking the Dead, a British series about a Cold Case Squad..  good series!

Look for " KNOWlledge - Programs"   https://www.knowledge.ca/schedule

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • softdown
    Options
    mcgivor said:
    Just metaphors........The commercial antennas don't work well, mounted mine about 30 feet up on a pole outside in Vancouver Canada and got signals from Seattle Tacoma over 150 miles away, had a shield behind which made it directional but greatly enhanced the quality.
    mcgivor said:

Mountain valley here. Stupid VHF/UHF waves don't climb around mountains well. A friend mounted a giant antennae and got some Spanish channels. I don't speak Spanish very well.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Remote town, no OTA signal.  No cable. No sat dish.   We get netflix DVD's mailed in and out. Internet via a cell phone as a hot$pot with 12Gb limit. 
    I'll go into town and get wi-fi and stock up on some video to watch later.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• cupcake
    cupcake Solar Expert Posts: 254 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Want TV...?  Go back ON grid with the rest of the peasantry... experience life not flickering hololgrams
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel
    Morningstar MPPT-60 controllers (2) in parallel
    3 Trojan tr-1275's in parallel 450ah total
    Samlex 2,000 watt 12-volt inverter hardwired

• cisco_ken
    cisco_ken Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options
    Netflix now offers you the ability to download a show to your tablet or phone and watch it later on your TV. Even with a slow ISP this should solve your problem.
  • softdown
    edited December 2016 #20
    Options
    cisco_ken said:
    Netflix now offers you the ability to download a show to your tablet or phone and watch it later on your TV. Even with a slow ISP this should solve your problem.
    Thanks...did not know that.  But....would that consume about twice as much energy as a direct stream? Been told that downloading uses significant energy.

Seems that the 16GB of onboard memory translates to 9GB of consumer accessible memory. That would fill up pretty fast.

It has a micro SD slot but did not come with a micro SD card. They are plentiful enough. The huge capacity SD cards may costs as much as this tablet.

I thought $100 was a Black Friday "steal". It is a great price but tablet prices have been tumbling. The tech world is frowning on the "Orwellian spying" built into Windows 10. Looks like tablets have a great future. Though a real keyboard is 10 times better than a tablet touch screen.
  • softdown
    edited December 2016 #21
    Options
    Holy Smoke....I just built a giant DVD collection at irresistible prices. Os so I thought. I could buy a batch of SD cards and carry around the equivalent of a Blockbuster store in my right hand. The quality is not near DVD quality but a 10" tablet does not need more than 480p. It takes 1080p to compete with DVD quality.

• morpho
    morpho Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Westbranch: Thanks for the link!
    11.5 kw array  -  3 - midnite solar classic 200's   -  Magnum MS-PAE Inverter  -  Magnum ME-RC50 remote  -  ME-BMK batt-monitor  -  8 DEKA Solar GC15 230amp hour (48v) - Yamaha ef3000ise - 1 confused look on face
  • cisco_ken
    cisco_ken Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options
    softdown said:
    Holy Smoke....I just built a giant DVD collection at irresistible prices. Os so I thought. I could buy a batch of SD cards and carry around the equivalent of a Blockbuster store in my right hand. The quality is not near DVD quality but a 10" tablet does not need more than 480p. It takes 1080p to compete with DVD quality.

How does ~"dime/quarter downloads" bode for the future of Hollywood film making?
    You have to remember that the downloaded movies are only good for about 2-7 days.
  • softdown
    edited December 2016 #24
    Options
    Downloading Nightcrawler is a .5gb download. I can beam it to a 50" TV that I got for $220. The quality is not great...but acceptable on 50". With my new noise cancelling headphones, I may never step outside again....j/k.

Update: Only a percentage are available for download.
  • softdown
    edited December 2016 #25
    Options
    cisco_ken said:
    softdown said:

How does ~"dime/quarter downloads" bode for the future of Hollywood film making?
    You have to remember that the downloaded movies are only good for about 2-7 days.
    Easy to believe that. Yet something tells me that it may not be terribly difficult to record the beam sent to the Roku.  Techs feel challenged by making work arounds.

And knowing a bit about our legal system...they probably think that the download is illegal after 8 days.

Perhaps they encode something that makes it self destruct after a few days. Hmmm.

Self destructing is pretty useful in that it free's up the hard drive for the next download. I would think.
  • westbranch
    Options
    Our town library uses that type of 1 week or ? of reading pleasure and then it is gone from your E-reader..

• softdown
    Options
    This is a great Netflix feature for those who don't have internet service. Neflix standard is only $8/mt. They can load up some movies while visiting a location with internet service.

While we are discussing radio waves and such....does anybody know if it is possible to make their tablet double as their  smartphone? With a bluetooth headset, it becomes viable in many ways.
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    With a reasonably quick internet connection and wifi, there are low cost VOIP services available - think Skype type apps for Android.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Options
    Need a phone line for customers. Thinking that is different than Skype type chats. Without a SIM card, I have doubts that a tablet could double as a phone. Then again....my internet "router" also uses a SIM card. So?
  • mcgivor
    edited December 2016 #30
    Options
    Some tablets, for example  Samsung and Macintosh  Ipad can have a phone SIM, you pay extra for that feature,  but most cheap ones will not. The Sim in the router is for the router, unless you use a phone as a hotspot as I do with an IPhone then you can still use the phone, as a phone.
  • westbranch
    Options
    For example, if you have an Android device (Tablet) go to google store and search for "PHONE' Apps there are,  hundreds, I use one and it is great and a lot cheaper than the old Quallcom Satellite phone...