2»

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: initialize 2 s-530 batteries
    Freewilley wrote: »
    Answered the charge settings back in post 20....lol
    AND in post 21 Bill suggested I change absorb time to 4 hours and I did this immediately....

I thought that your charge settings in post 20 referred to your settings on the MX. The FX inverter/charger settings are not necessarily the same. They are set in a different set of menus on the Mate. Do you know how to check (and set) the FX charge settings?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Freewilley
    Freewilley Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭
    Options

Sorry about that. I thought you wanted the mx settings and I am not too familiar with the mate.
    I got the manual and tried to comply, but I failed.
    I used p 108 of mate manual and went to status/cc/meter but my screen on mate did not correspond to manual.
    Can you walk me thru this? I am happy to phone you at some point if that works for you.
    Bill...on the genny, I have an fx 2500 i/c and the gen is Yammy 3000. It pulls max of 2400 watts by my setting on mate. It charges a max of 1700 by fx (I guess) charger is set for 60amps on MX. I started gen at 740 and it is now 925, it has dropped to 300 watt charging, sg was 1.190 start and is now 1.220, almost no sun yet, .1kwh. MX is set to EQ and reads 14.9/

I appreciate your help, I will be out for the next 8 hours, going to pick up the grandgirls.....

cheers
    Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
    12 volt Flojet water pump
    off grid summer home in northern Ontario
  • vtmaps
    Options
    Sorry about that. I thought you wanted the mx settings and I am not too familiar with the mate.
    I got the manual and tried to comply, but I failed.
    I used p 108 of mate manual and went to status/cc/meter but my screen on mate did not correspond to manual.
    Can you walk me thru this?

From the Mate's main menu choose: ADV (advanced)

enter your password (141)

Choose the device you want to interact with: FX

Choose Category: CHGR

Now use the DOWN button to scroll through the various settings.

Note: when you set the Charger Limit you are telling the FX how many AC amps it may draw from the generator to charge the battery. The AC amps (at 120 volts) are about one tenth of the DC amps into a 12 volt battery, so if you set your AC amps to 6, you will be pushing less (because of inefficiency) than 60 amps into your battery.

As you scroll through the settings (with the DOWN button) you will come to absorb setpoint (where you set the absorb voltage) and absorb time.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Freewilley
    Options

And is it 6 amps AC that I want to set it for (considering it is 2 s-530s only at this point).

So, the mate/fx combo overrules the MX? Or are they talking about 2 different things, the former the genny and the latter the solar?

settings
    absorb 14aac
    absorb time limit 1 hour, which I changed to 4.1
    float setpoint 13.8
    time period 2.3
    Refloat setpoint 12.5 vdc
    Equalize setpoint 15.5
    time period 2.0

Should any of these be adjusted?

Will
    Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
  • vtmaps
    Options
    And is it 6 amps AC that I want to set it for (considering it is 2 s-530s only at this point).

So, the mate/fx combo overrules the MX? Or are they talking about 2 different things, the former the genny and the latter the solar?

I think 6 amps AC is about right for those batteries. The MX and the FX arer two separate charging systems, each with their own settings.
    settings
    absorb 14aac
    absorb time limit 1 hour, which I changed to 4.1
    float setpoint 13.8
    time period 2.3
    Refloat setpoint 12.5 vdc
    Equalize setpoint 15.5
    time period 2.0

"Absorb 14aac" makes no sense. I think you are talking about the absorb setpoint which should be at least 14.4 volts (actually, I'm not sure... what does Rolls recommend for that battery?)

Setting the absorb time limit to 4.1 hours means that if you run your generator more than 4.1 hours into absorb, it will effectively stop charging. You may be in Bulk for awhile before you begin the absorb time.

--vtMaps
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    . what does Rolls recommend for that battery?)
    --vtMaps

Reading from the manual I just got from the Surrette factory with my new Series 4000 renewable energy Surrette batteries, which should include the S-530:
    Bulk/Absorption
    0c to 16C - - - 15 Volts
    17C to 27C - - 14.4 Volts
    28C to 40C - - 14.16 Volts
    Float (all temperatures) 13.14 Volts
    Equalization 15.48 to 16.02 Volts
  • Freewilley
    Options
    I think 6 amps AC is about right for those batteries. The MX and the FX arer two separate charging systems, each with their own settings.

"Absorb 14aac" makes no sense. I think you are talking about the absorb setpoint which should be at least 14.4 volts (actually, I'm not sure... what does Rolls recommend for that battery?)

--vtMaps

Yes, absorb was a typo (the mate is on a different floor from my laptop, I should have taken notes and not relied on old memory cells)..it should have read
    charger 14.0 aac
    absorb setpoint 14.8

I guess you are suggesting that be changed to 6.0. I could do that, but however these things work together (and I am very confused as to what each does) the generator will never send more than 1700 watts to charging.
    Make sense? Maybe it is because the CC is set to 60 amps charging?
  • vtmaps
    Options
    it should have read
    charger 14.0 aac
    absorb setpoint 14.8

No! The charger should be set to use 6 amps AC. That will result in your batteries getting a bit over 50 amps DC. That is what your 400 ah batteries need. More than that could lead to trouble.

Furthermore, if you are running your generator while the sun is shining, the amps from the generator (via the FX) will be additive with the amps from the sun (via the MX), and that may also lead to trouble. NOTE: this additive behavior is only when you are in bulk stage of charging. Once you get to absorb the battery will set its own limits, i.e. the charging current from both the MX and the FX will be limited by the batteries ability to accept charge.

No! the absorb setpoint should be 14.4 volts because that is what Rolls recommends at normal temperatures. I forget, do you have a remote temperature sensor (RTS)? If so, the actual absorb voltage will vary from your 14.4 and will match Rolls' recommendations for different temperatures. If not, then you should manually vary your absorb setpoint according to what Rolls recommends for your battery temperature. This can be dangerous because your battery temperature can elevate while you are charging. When the temperature goes up the batteries need lower voltage and if the voltage does not go lower the batteries can get hotter still and can go into thermal runaway!

If you don't have an RTS, get one. They're cheap. By the way, if you have an Outback hub the MX and the FX can share an RTS. Its much cheaper to buy two RTS (one for the MX and one for the FX) than to buy one RTS and a hub. I have two RTS for my setup.
    I could do that, but however these things work together (and I am very confused as to what each does) the generator will never send more than 1700 watts to charging.
    Make sense? Maybe it is because the CC is set to 60 amps charging?

No! the 60 amp setting on your MX charge controller has nothing to do with the amount of current the generator (via the FX) will push into your batteries.

By the way, your mate has a "setup" menu where you tell the FX how many total AC amps your generator can provide. The FX will make sure that your AC loads and your battery charging do not exceed your generator's capacity.

Example: if you set your generator's capacity to 25 AC amps and set your maximum charging current to 6 AC amps, you can provide up to 19 amps AC for your AC loads (vacuum, lights, blender, etc). If your AC loads exceed the 19 amps, the FX will cut back on the battery charging so that you don't exceed your generator's capacity.

--vtMaps
  • Freewilley
    Options
    No! The charger should be set to use 6 amps AC. That will result in your batteries getting a bit over 50 amps DC. That is what your 400 ah batteries need. More than that could lead to trouble. --vtMaps
    ANOTHER can of worms opened, I thank you vtMaps. I am sure this all makes sense, but I looked around for a source for the surrette recomendation and could not easily find one, altho I did find this...
    Most flooded batteries should be charged at no more than the "C/8" rate for any sustained period. "C/8" is the battery capacity at the 20-hour rate divided by 8. For a 220 AH battery, this would equal 26 Amps
    This calculation would be far different than what you tell me, but I am guessing that this is a 12 volts versus 110 volts scenario? That is why the MX gives a 60 amp charge rate and the FX should be 6 amps???
    I have been using this genny at this rate for 4 years on my seriously sulphated "old" batterries. I do not rule out that this may have hurt my batteries, altho at times I have had 4 s-530s in my bank. Right now I am using 2.
    This would mean I have to run my genny for much longer periods, of course throttled back by the variable rate of the Yamaha.
    Furthermore, if you are running your generator while the sun is shining, the amps from the generator (via the FX) will be additive with the amps from the sun (via the MX), and that may also lead to trouble. NOTE: this additive behavior is only when you are in bulk stage of charging. Once you get to absorb the battery will set its own limits, i.e. the charging current from both the MX and the FX will be limited by the batteries ability to accept charge.--vtMaps
    ummm, yes when I have sun the batteries will see another 800wats of charging. What should I do about this? If I follow this regimen of very slow charging. I would never even get to equalize in a day. mucha problema.
    When I want to equalize, which has been often with the old bank, I run the genny early a.m. until it ramps down to 400 watts charging then use the solar thru the day.

I have a remote sensor. One. Plugged into my MX. It sits in my battery box, on the floor. Tell me where it should be...

By the way, your mate has a "setup" menu where you tell the FX how many total AC amps your generator can provide. The FX will make sure that your AC loads and your battery charging do not exceed your generator's capacity.

Example: if you set your generator's capacity to 25 AC amps and set your maximum charging current to 6 AC amps, you can provide up to 19 amps AC for your AC loads (vacuum, lights, blender, etc). If your AC loads exceed the 19 amps, the FX will cut back on the battery charging so that you don't exceed your generator's capacity.

--vtMaps

My generator is set thru the mate to not use more than 2400 watts. The 1700 watts was a mystery to me, but now that you have walked me thru it, I imagine that my installer and I decided that was a good number for 2 s-530 batts.
    You are sure that I have to move this down to 6 (he says, wishing that the answer is not yes).
    It is sounding like running the generator while I have solar is overcharging the batteries, big ouch. But maybe this is all correcting a series of errors.
    comments?
  • vtmaps
    Options
    I looked around for a source for the surrette recomendation and could not easily find one, altho I did find this...
    Most flooded batteries should be charged at no more than the "C/8" rate for any sustained period. "C/8" is the battery capacity at the 20-hour rate divided by 8. For a 220 AH battery, this would equal 26 Amps
    Wayne (post #37) provided you with Rolls' recommendations. They should also be available on Rolls' web site.
    Your battery bank is 400 ampHours. The C8 rate would be 50 amps DC. That would be correspond to about 6 AC amps.
    This calculation would be far different than what you tell me, but I am guessing that this is a 12 volts versus 110 volts scenario? That is why the MX gives a 60 amp charge rate and the FX should be 6 amps???
    Yes, the MX charge rate is in 12 volt DC amps and the FX charge rate is in 120 volt AC amps.
    I have been using this genny at this rate for 4 years on my seriously sulphated "old" batterries. I do not rule out that this may have hurt my batteries, altho at times I have had 4 s-530s in my bank. Right now I am using 2.
    When you had four batteries you had an 800 amphour bank. I would have recommended 12 AC amps, but 14 wasn't too far off.
    This would mean I have to run my genny for much longer periods, of course throttled back by the variable rate of the Yamaha.
    Correct :cry:
    when I have sun the batteries will see another 800wats of charging. What should I do about this?

If it's sunny out, don't run your generator. Exception: once you reach absorb (as I mentioned in post #39) you don't have to worry about the MX and FX overcharging the batteries. Sometimes I need to run my generator (for large power tools) when the sun is shining. I simply go to the Mate and turn off Charging Mode on the FX. Then the generator AC is available at my outlets and my charge controller continues to charge my batteries.
    If I follow this regimen of very slow charging. I would never even get to equalize in a day.

You should not equalize your batteries until they have completed the absorb stage. And even then you should not equalize them unless there is a problem with the specific gravity.
    I have a remote sensor. One. Plugged into my MX. It sits in my battery box, on the floor. Tell me where it should be...
    Stick it to the side of your warmest battery. Make sure it is near the top, but not so high that it is above the electrolyte level. And get another one so that both your chargers (MX and FX) have temperature compensation.

--vtMaps
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Will,

Here is a link to download the Surrette Flooded/AGM Battery Manual:

http://support.rollsbattery.com/support/solutions/articles/654-battery-user-manual-flooded-agm

It has some good info. Wayne's charger set point data is contained in this manual and some other good general info on EQ etc.

Here is a link to the pdf Data Sheet for your S-530 battery. It shows the different Capacities vs the Rate of discharge:
    http://rollsbattery.com/public/specsheets/S-530.pdf

Not trying to bury you in added "data". Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Freewilley
    Options

Thanks for the assistance.

Surrette is now working with me on bringing these up. I will keep you posted and advise on how this works.
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Options
    Reading from the manual I just got from the Surrette factory with my new Series 4000 renewable energy Surrette batteries, which should include the S-530:
    Bulk/Absorption
    0c to 16C - - - 15 Volts
    17C to 27C - - 14.4 Volts
    28C to 40C - - 14.16 Volts
    Float (all temperatures) 13.14 Volts
    Equalization 15.48 to 16.02 Volts

According to Steve Higgins, the Surrette manual is obsolete and in need of rewriting. The revised Trojan manual is closer to Steve's recommendations. The Trojan manual also illustrates the finishing charge (though it doesn't label it as such). Steve has suggested that I absorb to 58.8 and once a week or preferable 3-4 times per week, I set float to near 60V. Most solar charge controllers don't support the 4th finishing phase and hence the 64V float recommendation. Not following those recommendations per se. Instead I do 'backwards' boost charging and absorb to very low current to fake out a partial finishing charge every day.

Charge controllers: Bulk 58.6V, Absorb 59.8V. The inverter runs grid support at 1 volt less than these set points, which effectively makes them 57.6V and 58.8V.

Inverter: Bulk 58.8V, Absorb 60V. The inverter charges the batteries when the generator is exercised. I have the generator exercised every 2 weeks. I use additional non-standard settings to exercise the generator under productive load. The inverter treats a AC-source-change as a power outage and it will charge the batteries regardless of the ReCharge volts setting. So I take advantage of this to do the 60V recommendation. The 60V is held all the way down to 6 amps.

I have observed both inverter and charge controllers, they are both honoring the bulk setting for 1 hour with no early exit, despite being less (rather than more) and then go to the absorption setting with exit at 2% of configured AH capacity, or when the absorption timeout is reached (defaults to 180min, have it set to 360min). I lied and told it 300AH when it is really 800AH so absorption exits at 6A instead of 16A, and my batteries do absorb down to 6A before the absorption timeout.

I do EQ with the charge controllers. Bulk 59.8, Abosrb 61.0, Float 64.0, let it run all day at 64V. Multi-step EQ keeps the currents low at the elevated voltages. I do EQ whenever I water the batteries. The water consumption is pretty low and it is a waste of time to do it every month so I do it every 2 months and I do EQ they day after watering to get it all mixed up into the acid.

I am grid-tied and I do live in AZ where sun is quite abundant and the environment is friendly for slow charging and long abosrptions (which Xantrex don't like to do and it has to be jury-rigged with non-standard settings to achieve). Settings won't work as well for off-gridders in less sunny places (boost charge feature was built for these people where bulk higher than absorb gets batteries fully charged faster).
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    According to Steve Higgins, the Surrette manual is obsolete and in need of rewriting. I set float to near 60V. Most solar charge controllers don't support the 4th finishing phase and hence the 64V float recommendation.
    I do Bulk 59.8, Absorb 61.0, Float 64.0, let it run all day at 64V.
    While "Steve" may be correct, or not, re the Surrette manual needing to be updated, if I did what you suggest above, I know my batteries would be soon cooked to death. The last set of batteries I had lasted 11 years in spite of occasional abuse, I'd like to get close to that from the new ones.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Warning: people who sell batteries tend to know diddly-squat about solar electric power systems.

64 Volt "float" on a 48 Volt system is dangerously high. Some inverters will fault at that level. Batteries will use too much water.

It is my opinion that if you follow this recommendation you will be replacing the batteries sooner rather than later.
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    Warning: people who sell batteries tend to know diddly-squat about solar electric power systems.

64 Volt "float" on a 48 Volt system is dangerously high. Some inverters will fault at that level. Batteries will use too much water.

It is my opinion that if you follow this recommendation you will be replacing the batteries sooner rather than later.
    But Coot, he wants to sell MORE batteries, and the sooner the better, so don't go spoiling his income by warning folks against murdering their batteries! :D
  • vtmaps
    Options
    Steve has suggested that I absorb to 58.8 and once a week or preferable 3-4 times per week, I set float to near 60V. Most solar charge controllers don't support the 4th finishing phase and hence the 64V float recommendation. Not following those recommendations per se. Instead I do 'backwards' boost charging and absorb to very low current to fake out a partial finishing charge every day.
    But Coot, he wants to sell MORE batteries, and the sooner the better, so don't go spoiling his income by warning folks against murdering their batteries! :D

You are referring to Steve Higgins. Steve was an Outback employee until his move to Surrette. He was an able and intelligent voice on the Outback forum, which IMO has gone down hill since his departure. I think the 64 volt float was YehoshuaAgapao's idea and I doubt that Steve would endorse it.

--vtMaps
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    Steve has suggested that I absorb to 58.8 and once a week or preferable 3-4 times per week, I set float to near 60V. Most solar charge controllers don't support the 4th finishing phase and hence the 64V float recommendation.

I guess either 60V or 64V in this sentnce is a typo. Did he recommend 60 or 64V?
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

If I recall the only time I have seen the Float Voltage talked about ever being used that high was to get around the hour time limit on the Xantrex's time limit on the Equalize mode. 64 V is lunacy, even 60 V is is to high.
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    Options
    You are referring to Steve Higgins. Steve was an Outback employee until his move to Surrette. He was an able and intelligent voice on the Outback forum, which IMO has gone down hill since his departure. I think the 64 volt float was YehoshuaAgapao's idea and I doubt that Steve would endorse it.

--vtMaps

Steve said he don't like EQ at all. Steve said float at 59.5V or somewhere around there a couple times per week. Chris brought up the finishing charge. The finishing charge does go up to 64V and even a little higher (it was a range) as illustrated in the Trojan manual. The Trojan manual does not explicitly label the finishing charge, it just has a constant current charge at 1-3% of C20 after absorption until voltage gets way up. I'm using a giant cross-mutation of a few people's input plus the Trojan manual. Steve's 60V float, Chris's aggressive voltage regimen, Chris's finishing charge. The common denometor is to feed in the volts but not at too high a current.

I watered my batteries today. It was almost 2 months since I last watered. Only about 2/3 gallon to top them all off. Very low water consumption. Water consumption is definitely not even between batteries though. SGs are doing very well though, 1.270, better they have ever been before.

Daily Solar:
    Bulk 58.6 (Kept for first hour of absorption)
    Absorb 59.8
    Float 52.5
    While selling to the grid in enhanced interactive mode, the inverter runs grid support at 1V less than the settings. Exit current is 6A because it is confgured as only 300Ah.

Every Two weeks during generator exercise, charged by the inverter (the inverter resumes charging off the grid when exercise is complete)
    Bulk 58.8 (Kept for first hour of absorption)
    Absorb 60.0 (Kept until current drops to 6A)
    Float 52.5

Every about 2 months, after watering (EQ on solar)
    Bulk 59.8 (Kept for first hour of absorption)
    Absorb 61.0 (Kept until current drops to 6A)
    Float 64.0
    Inverter is selling to the grid during EQ, so these voltages are actually kept at 1V less.

Actual voltages are 0.5-1V less due to temperature compensation, my batteries run about 30-32C in baking hot AZ, with the swamp cooler blowing on them (reduced effectiveness during monsoon but it something).
  • NorthGuy
    Options
    I'm using a giant cross-mutation of a few people's input plus the Trojan manual. Steve's 60V float, Chris's aggressive voltage regimen, Chris's finishing charge. The common denometor is to feed in the volts but not at too high a current.

I see 60V absorb. Less 1V is 59V. Looks like a normal absorb setting. 51.5V float is rather low, very far from 60V?

Whater usage is low. As it's going with my batteries, I'll use almost 1/4 gallon per cell for 6 summer months.

How deep you discharge the batteries?
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    Options

20-30%, on weekdays only. Until the moonsoon is over. After early-mid september, daily load shaving will cease until May of next year, but I'll exercise discharge the batteries once in a while.

I used 2/3 gallon for 48 cells for 2 months, which is 0.013888 (1/72) gallons per cell. Scale that to 6 months, it is .041666 (1/24) gallons per cell. 1/12 Gallon per cell when scalled to your number of cells (24) over 6 months. That is pretty low compared to 1/4 gallon.

The water measurement wasn't precise. The battery watering jug holds 2 liters, I used the full jug, plus another 8-12oz.

Oh, float is actually set 52.5V, but actual float is 51.5V while selling to the grid (and never float except on solar charge controller). In enhanced interactive mode, the inverter uses the charge controller set point for the current charging phase minus 1V as the grid support voltage (the voltage it tries to maintain while selling to the grid or powering the subpanel). Float voltage in actuality is running around 50.8V due to temperature compensation (52.5V, compensated to 51.8V, inverter grid supports at 50.8V).
  • NorthGuy
    Options
    20-30%, on weekdays only. Until the moonsoon is over. After early-mid september, daily load shaving will cease until May of next year, but I'll exercise discharge the batteries once in a while.

I used 2/3 gallon for 48 cells for 2 months, which is 0.013888 (1/72) gallons per cell. Scale that to 6 months, it is .041666 (1/24) gallons per cell. 1/12 Gallon per cell when scalled to your number of cells (24) over 6 months. That is pretty low compared to 1/4 gallon.

The water measurement wasn't precise. The battery watering jug holds 2 liters, I used the full jug, plus another 8-12oz.

Thanks. That's very little water usage. Your cells are about half the size of mine, so the difference is somewhere 3 times. You probably have lesser discharge than I do, but still it's 2 times difference! Of course, in winter I'm going to use much less than this. Do you use miser caps of anything of that sort?
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    Options

No, use default stock caps. Batteries only have about 65 20-30% (some are 40-50%) cycles on them.

Probably because of the shallow cycles (entering absorption before 9AM while solar current is still low), boosted by the backwards-boost charging, the batteries don't experience high current during absorption. Plus they are effectively being floated at 50.7-51.5V (52.5V - 1 volt for inverter grid support - temperature compensation)
  • NorthGuy
    Options
    Probably because of the shallow cycles (entering absorption before 9AM while solar current is still low), boosted by the backwards-boost charging, the batteries don't experience high current during absorption. Plus they are effectively being floated at 50.7-51.5V (52.5V - 1 volt for inverter grid support - temperature compensation)

Your cycles might be shallower than you think. With 20-30% discharges you would get few hours of bulk in the morning because production is low.
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    Options

Usually draw about 5-6KWh between 5:30PM and 8:00PM. It mathamatically computes to about 13%, but the voltage settles at a level more like 20-30%. Usually in absorption by 8-9AM and absorption exit is between 10:30AM and 11AM.
  • NorthGuy
    Options
    Usually draw about 5-6KWh between 5:30PM and 8:00PM. It mathamatically computes to about 13%, but the voltage settles at a level more like 20-30%. Usually in absorption by 8-9AM and absorption exit is between 10:30AM and 11AM.

I would trust 13% more. My batteries need real long time to move to the rest voltage when disconnected from anything - several hours at least.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Will's system simply must be off-grid. The OP is in the OG Topic.

What one does with GT systems to make selling work, and get some battery cycling done often has little to do with battery recharge in an off-grid system, IMHO.

As Marc noted, one must do what one needs to do to get batteries recharged.

Steve Higgins did mention that the Flooded battery manual needed updating. BUT, the current version on the SUrrette site is what is the suggested starting point, until Surrette chooses to change it.

With good solar conditions, would be surprised that the Absorb voltage would need to be above 14.6 V if there is sufficient time in the day to finish Absorb. None of the Surrette banks here require an equivalent Absorb V above 14.55V, and this includes one bank of S-530s.

These banks use CC EA to terminate Absorb, and this value of actual battery charge current (read via a Shunt) is 1.0 - 1.1% of 20 Hr Capacity,
    with nominal 25-ish degree C battery temperatures.

If there is too little time to accomplish the required Absorption stage, higher Absorb voltages will be needed, unless the on that day, there were poor solar conditions.

Many of the recommendations from battery manufacturers apply to chargers that are not available as PV input Solar chargers (again as noted by Marc). We all figure out how to use what we have to do the required recharge.

Will is now working with Surrette, and may not be distracted by all of the GT solar setting info on CCs that differ from his, but some of this seems divergent from what should be needed for his system, again in my opinion ...

Not trying to be argumentative, but seems like this GT charge setting info could be confusing to many with OG systems. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.