initialize 2 s-530 batteries

Options
Freewilley
Freewilley Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭
I am in the 5th year of my system....I made problems for my batteries over the years and short story is I have just hooked up 2 new batteries.

Can somebody link me to threads that discuss how to start these up correctly? I noticed on the first day that they were about 1.240 sg and they want to absorb or float with just a little power input. I have the manual but it does not seem to give much guidance.

Should they be equalized for a while? They are basically similar sg now.

thanks very much

system
4 24 v 230 watt panels
yamaha eb3000 generator
1 mx60, mate
1 3500 watt outback inverter
2 s-530
spare: 4 s-530 that are sulphated, still working, hope to bring back to good use over next year
Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
12 volt Flojet water pump
off grid summer home in northern Ontario

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: initialize 2 s-530 batteries

Hi "Freewilley", welcome to the forum!
    What make are your batteries? S-530 sounds like Surrette. If so, their SG numbers for their latest renewable energy flooded batteries, right from their own manual, states:
    100% charge = 1.255 - 1.275 (SG)
    75% charge = 1.215 - 1.235
    50% charge = 1.180 - 1.200
    25% charge = 1.155 - 1.165
    0% charge = 1.110 - 1.130
    Their manual also states that to get an accurate measurement of the fully charged SG for your batteries, the initial charge may take 10 hours or more, and when the SG (while undergoing this initial charge, has not changed for 3 hours, that will be your future SG reference to indicate fully charged batteries.
    Keep in mind these numbers are for Surrette renewable energy batteries and other manufacturers will or could have different SG requirements.
    Oh! And it's not the batteries that "want to absorb or float with just a little power input", it's the charge controller that makes those decisions. Sounds like your controller voltage is set too low.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Freewilley,

Generally, Surrette suggests that a new battery bank be checked for electrolyte level, SGs of each cell be measured and recorded, as well as terminal voltage of each battery be noted and recorded. Do not add any fluid to the batteries, unless water is down to the Moss Guard (the plastic diffuser on top of the plates), or below that level. Place the batteries on charge, using the recommended Absorption voltage of 14.4 V (for a 12 V system). When the charge current into the battery is in the range of 1 - 1.5% of the 20 Hour Capacity, an Equalization charge can be started. If you are unable to measure the actual battery charge current, perhaps the charger that you are using shows the current. With no other loads, this should be close enough. IIRC, S-530s are about 400 Ah, so this current is in the range of 4 - 6 amps as the ending value.

A Hydrometer could also be used to find the State Of Charge. When the SG readings are in the range of about 1.255 - 1.265, you could begin the EQ charge process. This will help get your batteries in a good state of charge, and allow the SG of each cell to approach that of the other cells in the battery bank.

As Wayne noted, using the correct Absorption, Float and EQ voltages is very important, as is using Temperature Compensation for all charge sources.

The correct EQ voltage is about 15.5 V, or a bit higher, If you do have a Hydrometer, you should monitor the SGs of each cell as the EQ progresses, about every 30 minutes. When the SGs are stable for 30 minutes, the EQ is usually considered finished. However, EQ will raise the temperature of the battery bank, and if the EQ takes a long time, the higher battery temp can cause the measured SG to appear a bit lower than it really is.

Float voltage is 13.14 V.

You may be familiar with the above, but those are my opinions. Surrette recommends adding water at the middle portion of the EQ, but on the initial, Commissioning EQ it is a bit hard to tell just where the middle is.

Please let us know how you are doing with these new batteries. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Freewilley wrote: »
    short story is I have just hooked up 2 new batteries.
    <snip>
    spare: 4 s-530 that are sulphated, still working, hope to bring back to good use over next year

Welcome to the forum.
    Please reassure us that your two new batteries are not hooked up with your four old batteries. It would be a big mistake to do that.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Freewilley
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.
    Please reassure us that your two new batteries are not hooked up with your four old batteries. It would be a big mistake to do that.

--vtMaps

Nope, and I understand.

Ok, setpoints are adjusted (slightly) to spec.
    Got up this a.m., Voltage read 12.0 (actual was probably far below)
    ran generator for 30 minutes, charging at 1700 or so while making breakfast

just checked sg, range from 1.175 to 1.190
    mx reads 12.7 v
    generator has been off for more than 30 minutes
    solar is slight, 230 watts, 9.5 amps, using 100 watts in house

mx reads F-MPPT

What gives? This type of scenario I saw before with old batteries which I put down to sulphation and would run equalization as I surmised MX was beeing fooled as to battery state of charge.
    By the by, one battery is brand new, the other was purchased last year and has sat on shelf. it has never been cycled or discharged, sg was 1.24 before I paired it yesterday with new one.
    Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
  • vtmaps
    Options
    system
    4 24 v 230 watt panels
    yamaha eb3000 generator
    1 mx60, mate
    1 3500 watt outback inverter
    2 s-530

I am too confused to give any advice and I need a lot more details.
    For starters, you appear to be running a 12 volt system (two 6 volt batteries), but using a 3500 watt Outback inverter. As far as I know, Outback does not make a 3500 watt 12 volt inverter. After you explain that, please tell me what your charging settings are on both the mx and your inverter/charger. Also, how are your solar panels configured (series, parallel, series and parallel).

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Vic
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    I am too confused to give any advice and I need a lot more details.
    For starters, you appear to be running a 12 volt system (two 6 volt batteries), but using a 3500 watt Outback inverter. As far as I know, Outback does not make a 3500 watt 12 volt inverter. ).
    --vtMaps

vt, Almost mentioned the same thing, but did not have time to study the OB Inverter line to make sure.

Freewilley, Be certain that you have a long Absorb time set. With those LOW SGs the Bulk stage should take a long time, as will the Absorb. Would set the Min and Max Absorb time to many many hours, something like 6 hours. You must get these batteries fully charged and EQed soon. Only EQ the bank when it has been fully charged, or close to it.

Where Is the 1700 (Watts??) coming from? Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Freewilley
    Options

Sorry, it is a 2500 watt inverter and IS 12 volts.

The 1700 watts is from my generator.

So, I come home from my errands and the system is floating. The SG is 1.190. The voltage is 13.2 It is drawing about 250 watts from the PV Array.

I switch over to equalize and the voltage jumps to 14.5 and is drawing 845. I equalize as that is the only way to get some juice into the batts. Which are Surrette, by the way.

So this is what I saw with my previous batteries, the CC wants to float when the SG is showing it is miles away from that. It is not my hydrometer by the way, I have 2, one is pro quality.

Is my MX 60 defective? I have purchased a new one and have it here for future use.
  • vtmaps
    Options
    Ok, setpoints are adjusted (slightly) to spec.
    So, I come home from my errands and the system is floating. The SG is 1.190.
    <snip>
    I switch over to equalize and the voltage jumps to 14.5 and is drawing 845.
    <snip>
    Is my MX 60 defective? I have purchased a new one and have it here for future use.

What are your setpoints? 14.5 volts sounds a bit low for equalization. Do you have a remote battery temperature sensor installed? How are your solar panels configured (series, parallel, series and parallel)?

After you answer those questions, we can begin to do some diagnostic tests with a voltmeter. Do you have a digital voltmeter?

--vtMaps
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

What is haping with your battery during the day?

Are you seeing ~14.7 to 15.2 volts being held (Absorb) for 2-4-6 hours per day)? Or are you seeing 14.7 volts and it falls back to float in minutes or an hour to two hours?

Perhaps the timers/voltage settings are "wrong". You can get some confusion with timer settings... I don't know the programming details, but setting "zero" for an absorb timer may disable the timer (infinite absorb time) or may end Absorb after "zero" minutes--Make sure you have the correct programming instructions for your version of firmware. And monitor what your controller is during across the day.

Also, there can be issues with an installation too... Too long of wiring, too small of diameter, dirty/corroded/loose connections and all cause excessive voltage drop during charging... Controller "sees" 14.8 volts, but the battery is at 14.0 volts with heavy current because of excessive voltage drop... As the current reduces, the voltage drop decreases, the battery voltage and controller voltage do eventually converge. Let us know your wire awg and length. Also, if you have a DMM handy, measure the voltage on the battery terminals vs that as the charge controller terminals during full charging current (or let us know what current the actual current is).

Ideally, you want around 0.05 to 0.10 volts maximum drop from the controller to the battery bank.

Once you understand/fix/reprogram the controller and battery wiring to behave as needed... Then we can talk about trying to recover the battery specific gravity (but, you do want to get the battery >80% SOC pretty quickly--You don't want the sulfation to continue).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Options

Fw..,

OK, as you know, "F-MPPT" means that the CC has switched to Float, but there is insufficient current from PV to maintain the Float voltage set point.

Trying to EQ, using the generator and the Inverter's Charger is a good idea. 14.5 to 15 V should be fine, and allow this EQ to continue for many hours, while watching SGs, and look at all cells for bubbling. With SGs that LOW, these batteries need to get a full charge as soon as possible.

Have you added any water to the batteries since you have had them?
    Did you buy these batteries from a dealer?
    Were these batteries Warranty Replacements?

For now, go the Misc menu, and find the End Amp setting on the right of Page 3 (IIRC). Set this to 00 for now, as you want to Absorb these batteries for a long time. Set the Absorb time to six hours or so.

If you can watch the batteries charge from PV, you may see what is happening to cause the transition to Float when the batteries are at such a low SOC.

Be certain that the MX and the Inverter are using Remote Temp Sensor/s, and that the Temp Comp range is set to Wide.

The Solar array could produce as much as 60 A of charge current if the PVs are correctly aimed/tilted. What is the highest output current that you have seen from the MX?

What is the approximate temperature of the batteries?

It is VERY important to focus on getting these batteries fully charged very soon. Please let us know what you are seeing. Thanks, Vic
  • BB.
    Options

Vic brings up another point. With these controllers, there are frequently "competing" settings... Absorb Timer (how long absorb will last) and End Current limit (when current falls below XX amps, controller goes to float).

You can have one set as you want, and there is a second (or third) setting that confuses the functional behavior (and "special" settings were 0.0 or 0.1 or 255 may mean something different than the obvious setting).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

With the SG that low, your new batteries are half dead and are heading for serious sufation which hopefully has not gone on long enough yet to have ruined your batteries.
    Your #1 job, as of right this minute should be to get those batteries charged! Even if you have to shut off everything in the house, ya gotta get them charged! Otherwise Surrette, or some other battery manufacturer is about to make another bunch of money off you. Batteries left undercharged and allowed to sulfate, are NOT covered by warranty!
    As has been written: Most batteries do not die a natural death - - they are murdered. :cry:
  • Freewilley
    Options

Ok, thanks very much for the ideas, some of which I can act on, some of which conflicts.....lol

Ok, I am going on my original theory that I need to equalize. Nice sunny day here, gen is running.
    I get up to 850 watts of solar, about 6kwh on a good day. (someone asked back about equal at 14.5, sorry I confused you, the MX says EQ-MPPT when SET on equal mode. My actual seeting for equalizing, which of course is the point where actual equalizing counter sets in is 16v, which is the Surrette max setting in manual)
    I do not understand how voltage drop would affect the interchange between the MX and the batteries...would the MX not adjust??? Leave that alone, no explanation needed and I will just give the specs on my array, which is not simple.
    I have a 4 240 watt panels on 24v, which are all on 24v (series, right?). 1 panel is on the roof, wired #8, run is about 25 feet. 3 panels are on another line which is #10. 2 of the panels are about 40 feet out, the 3rd panel is another 40 feet beyond that. Both lines are simply connected at a junction box, then to a 60amp breaker and out to the MX. The MX is right beside the Fx, and is connected with #8 wire.
    Batts are watered, I know about this.
    Yes I have a remote battery temp sensor connected to MX. Battery cables are 4/0.
    I am not great at electricity, and my DMM seems to be weird so I hesitate to rely on it....or my knowledge. For what it is worth, here goes...I move indicator 2 notches to left where the label says 200...batteries read 18v while MX reads 15. Test cell on batt shows 1.190sg

Nobody thinks I should swap out MX for new one? I think I will later.

As I said, I have been using this system for 5 years altho I have modified it every year. I started off with 1 panel and 2 s530s and genny. Learned the hard way and have added over the years. For the last year I was trying to return the old batts to "normal" but have always had to keep them on equal mode as the CC switches to float in this same manner (when sg is very different than CC read voltage.
    I thought by plunging into 2 new batts this would go away, but now realize that it is either my system or these 2 batts are already sulphated.

Interesting note, I have ALWAYS found that generator charging power reduces over an hour long charge, eventually to no charging, even tho sg shows that battery is along way from full This is true even on equal mode.

thanks!
  • Freewilley
    Options

so, just because I am wondering if this whole misreading of my true battery voltage is related....
    I have been running my generator for 90 minutes approx
    It starts charging at 1700 watts and will provide 2400 total power
    I have been using limited power over that time, toaster, dishwasher (no drying cycle)
    Mate now shows generator is charging at 100 watts (ramps up when power is drawn, of course)
    But the MX shows 15.1 volts, Equalization mode, 550 watts solar, .8 kwh solar so far, test cell sg is 1.210.

For 5 years I figured that the generator performing this way was "normal" (again, Yamaha 3000sEB gen). It is one reason I have had trouble equalizing, because it will only bring up the batts so far, then I have to rely on solar juice to actually take it up to equalizing.

thanks again
  • vtmaps
    Options
    so, just because I am wondering if this whole misreading of my true battery voltage is related....

OK, lets start over. What is your absorb voltage setting on the MX? What is your absorb time on the MX? What is your absorb voltage setting on your inverter/charger? What is your absorb time on the inverter/charger? All of your problems may be related to having the wrong settings.
    I do not understand how voltage drop would affect the interchange between the MX and the batteries...would the MX not adjust??? Leave that alone, no explanation needed and I will just give the specs on my array, which is not simple.

The MX sees a certain voltage. If you have good connections, the batteries see the same voltage. If you have bad connections, some of the voltage that the MX sees is lost in the wiring and not getting to the batteries. The MX would stop charging because it thinks the batteries have a higher voltage than they actually do.
    My DMM seems to be weird so I hesitate to rely on it....or my knowledge. For what it is worth, here goes...I move indicator 2 notches to left where the label says 200...batteries read 18v while MX reads 15.

That doesn't make any sense unless the the generator is running and there is a bad connection between the battery and the MX, but even then the generator should not be pushing the batteries up to 18 volts. You can buy a good enough DMM for $20... maybe you should... its cheap compared to the damage you are doing to your batteries.

I also wonder about how you have connected your inverter and controller to the batteries... do the batteries connect to a bus bar which then connects to the inverter and controller?

The way you have connected your panels does not sound right... are they really all in series? What does the input voltage read on the MX?

--vtMaps
  • Freewilley
    Options

Let us go waaay back. I think there is an issue with how the MX is wired.
    By the way, this was done by a "friend" who did his own system and set out to be a solar installer. That failed and he is now a real estate agent who wants nothing to do with this. I am in a remote area and have no one else to have in....altho it is looking like I may be looking at redoing the system.

I looked at the connection manual for my new Flexmax and the MX is not wired as directed.
    below are some pictures, you have to ignore the color of the wires, sorry about that. One pic is of my flexware, the other is the MX existing connections.
    Here is what I see.
    The Mx has a wire from the PV array breaker to the PV + terminal. No wire is connected to the PV 1 terminal. There is a green wire connected to the ground terminal of the MX, which I believes runs to a ground outside. There is a black wire connected to the Bat + terminal, which leads to the bus bar in the flexware.

The PV array black goes to the bus bar in the Flexware.

The manual shows that I should have the black from the PV array connected to the PV - terminal, but there is nothing there.
    Is that my problem????
    Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
  • Vic
    Options

Hi Fw..,

Thanks for the pics. It is a bit difficult to see just how the MX is wired. IIRC, the two center terminals of the MX are the negatives for the PV and battery. These two terminals are connected together inside the MX, so, only one wire is needed connecting to either of these terminals. This one wire should be connected to the battery negative. There needs to be a connection from the negative of the PV input to this battery negative as well. From the pic, it is not possible to see just where the wire that kind of looks like it is connected to this neg terminal of the CC actually goes.

I wrote the following in a PM Reply to you, but will post it here as well:

"Hi Willey,

Thanks for the message.

I just looked at this thread, and vtmaps had some good questions for you. You should get a new DMM, and a new, good alkaline battery for it.

You should also consider getting yet another Hydrometer at an Auto Supply Store.

There are many things that do not make sense. You are probably overwhelmed, and it is very difficult for those of us at a distance to try to interpret what you are saying, and quite possibly for you to understand what we are suggesting that you do.

There are so many variables, and some questions have gone unanswered. You have been barraged with much incoming opinion and questions that agree that it will be good to just start over. More later, am in transit today. Hope that you can get the DMM, its battery and a new glass Hydrometer very soon. Thanks! Vic"

And agree that we should just start over at the top. More later today, Good Luck, Vic
  • BB.
    Options

Probably not... I know the older Outback controllers did not "care" if the negative PV array lead was connected to Controller's PV- vs Battery - connection. The Xantrex (now Schneider) MPPT charge controller (at least the 150 VDC input version) requires the PV- to be connected to the panel terminal on the controller--It will not work correctly otherwise).

With your DMM, measure the voltage on your car battery. Engine running, should be around 13.8 to 14.2 volts, engine stopped and head lights on, somewhere around 12.4 to 12.7 (may be a bit higher as "surface charge" is dissipated).

In any case, try a new battery in your DMM--Or get/borrow a second DMM and start using it. We have had a few people over the years with DMMs that did not work correctly (failed meter, near dead battery) and the readings were really "strange". They varied with actual voltage, but were pretty consistent (i.e., 12 volts read as 13 volts, 1.2 volts read as 1.2 volts, or something like that).

There is a saying in engineering--Something along the lines of "a man with one meter knows the exact voltage, and man with two meters has no idea".

If you are going to be doing a bunch of DC power work, I would really suggest a DC current clamp meter (really an AC/DC Clamp DMM). This one from Sears is (usually) good enough and pretty cheap. Or you can go 6x as much for a Fluke (very good and accurate meter--but sometimes hard to justify the cost for a DIY person--Until you have changed your tail with weird readings on a cheap meter--Buy the way, I have the cheap meters :roll:).

-Bill
  • Freewilley
    Options

thanks,
    My sg is coming up, 1.254 temp adjusted (about 90 degrees). Bubbling away.
    new battery in DMM, what a difference! Now battery terminals read the same as MX.15.7 with 430 watts solar charging.

absorb settings...14.9, Time is 000 min 2 hrs
    I believe "wide" is selected, as when I try to change it moves to LMT
    FloAT IS 13.3

I saw a screen that allows me to force bulk or float charging???
    Is that what I should be using?
  • BB.
    Options

I don't have a battery system (or know controller programming details)--But you should probably be at 4 hours of absorb for the time being--Especially if you are cycling the battery bank fairly heavily. Some folks end up with 4+ hours for winter (sun sets before timeout), and towards 2 hours in summer when there is lots of sun and not much power usage.

But, it is going to be a trade off between voltage (very dependent on battery design/construction--Some Rolls/Surrettes are known for working batter at even 15.2 volts) -- And/or absorb time (and hours of sun per day).

Basically, once you get out of the SG "hole", long term monitoring will tell you if you are charging enough (SG is in range where you want it) and water usage (filling, very roughly, every two months is a good start--Filling more than once a month with lots of water, or more often--over charging. Hardly using any water, probably under charging).

-Bill
  • Freewilley
    Options
    Vic wrote: »
    Hi Fw..,
    From the pic, it is not possible to see just where the wire that kind of looks like it is connected to this neg terminal of the CC actually goes.

a new glass Hydrometer very soon

Good Luck, Vic

The black wire from the neg of the CC goes to the buss bar in the Flexware. Given what has been said, I guess the CC wiring is ok, just that the new Flexmax is wired differently (both negs are connected)
    2nd Hydrometer is brand new and pro brand with temp adjustment built in. Both old and new hydrometer agree with each other.

Now I am thinking just equalize has much as possible....any thoughts on how genny behaves (ramping down charging even when batts are low) as I described...do others have this issue? I had read that inverter gennys DO lead to sulphation if relied on for mazimizing battery voltage....

thanks again
  • BB.
    Options

The source of power is, generally, not the issue...

Generators tend to be most efficient in the 50% - 80% of rated output (prime mover rated should be able to run at 100% of rated output when having heavy continuous loads like battery charging).

When the battery reaches around 80-90% SOC, in absorb the current slowly drops and as the current drops below ~50% , the fuel flow on a gasoline genset (gallons per hour) remains roughly the same--So charging at 25% of rated output, your fuel economy is roughly 1/2. If charging at 12.5% of capacity, your fuel economy is roughly 1/4.

The Honda/Yamaha/etc. inverter+generators can throttle back to lower RPMs and are (relatively) still fuel fuel efficient at ~25% or so of rated output.

Diesel gensets have their own issues--Mainly, they need to be operated at a minimum of 40-60% of rate motor load or they start "wet stacking", glazing cylinder walls, etc. because of low temperatures and combustion pressures. As I understand, commercial diesel power stations will have load banks to keep the diesel motors at operating temperatures/pressures.

Regarding battery sulfation... More or less, if you let the battery sit at less than ~75% state of charge for days/weeks/months, they will sulfate (soft/fully sulfates turn into black crystals and no long are part of the charge/discharge chemical process). Different battery constructions (from what I have read) will sulfate at different rates.

For batteries designed for deep cycling--You can operate them at 50-80% state of charge cycles and recharge >90% every 5-10 days--And they will not sulfate at any faster rate. And cycling between 50-80% is more efficient (little gassing, little heating).

For the average deep cycle battery in good condition, you should recharge them, at least, every 30 days. AGM and some other sealed type batteries can go 3 months or more between charging (due to lower self discharge rates).

-Bill
  • Freewilley
    Options

Thanks BB.
    The battery from last year, which sat at about 1.230 is probably seriously sulphated, and I know that even one batt like that will throw off the pair. Who knows if this new battery is fresh, even tho just purchased.
    So maybe this is an equalize issue...and that is what I will do and see what develops.
  • BB.
    Options

I forgot to add--If you are at a point where you need the generator--A good use is to start it in the morning, run for a few hours (as needed & until the sun hits the panels) to get to >80% SOC on the battery bank. Shut the genset down and let the solar array finish off the rest of the charge.

You want to monitor the generator current/wattage and don't let it fall too low (much below 50% or below 25% for inverter/generators)--Or you will be just pouring expensive fuel down the drain. If you have other loads at the time (cooking/cleaning/washing machine/pumping) that can use the genset when it is running anyway--Why not to keep the fuel economy up (kWH/gallon of fuel).

-Bill
  • Freewilley
    Options

And I have been corrected, my panels are parralel, not series. I always get the labels mixed up....I just knew they are 24v and wired so the voltage stays the same.

And yes, I do use the generator that way, Bill. I still wonder if everyone with an inverter generator has the experience of the gen throttling back WAAAY before batt voltage is near 75%. Mine has always done this and I am unsure if it is another sign of a systemic problem....
  • vtmaps
    Options
    I still wonder if everyone with an inverter generator has the experience of the gen throttling back WAAAY before batt voltage is near 75%. Mine has always done this and I am unsure if it is another sign of a systemic problem....

I've asked twice already, but I'll ask a third time: What are your settings on the inverter/charger? (Absorb voltage and and absorb time) If these are set wrong that could explain why your generator is throttling back prematurely.

--vtMaps
  • BB.
    Options
    And I have been corrected, my panels are parralel, not series. I always get the labels mixed up....I just knew they are 24v and wired so the voltage stays the same.

Parallel connections for your panels may be a big issue... Many "24 volt" panels are really Vmp~30 volts. Turns out that Vmp (maximum power) for the array on a sunny+warm day can drop down towards 24 VDC. Your battery bank, to be properly charged needs around 29 to 30 volts, plus a couple volts drop across the MPPT charge controller+wiring... That means you need Vmp-array>~35 volts (standard rating conditions).

So, need the name/model number, and/or the Vmp/Imp rating off the back of the panels. Running Vmp~30 volt panels in parallel will not properly (or quickly) recharge your battery bank.

You have MPPT charge controllers, so, the easy "fix" is to put two solar panels in series string (+ to - connection for each pair of panels). And then connect the 2 panel strings in parallel. This will give you Vmp-array ~ 60 Volts STC. Just about "perfect" for your Outback charge controller.

Now--The rewiring is not really difficult, but there is certainly a shock hazard. And if you confuse series/parallel connections, you can destroy a solar panel pretty easily (solar panel hooked up backwards to an array or battery bank are a "dead short" and will be zapped almost instantly.

If you are not sure what you are doing--You need to "get sure" and/or have some help with somebody that has more experience before tackling the rewiring.
    And yes, I do use the generator that way, Bill. I still wonder if everyone with an inverter generator has the experience of the gen throttling back WAAAY before batt voltage is near 75%. Mine has always done this and I am unsure if it is another sign of a systemic problem....

This may be an issue with the AC Battery charger... For "fast charging", you want Vbatt-charging to be in the range of 29-30 volts. Some charge controllers are not designed to go that high (or need to be programmed/adjusted for higher output voltage). A few have an external controller or Absorb/Float switch input on them (Iota brand). And some AC charge controllers get overheated if operated at high current levels, and reduce their output after they get hot. And, there is always a possiblity that your battery charger to battery wiring is too small of AWG (copper wire diameter) and/or length (too much wiring resistance makes the voltage at the Charge controller "read high" vs what is really at the battery bank--causing charging current to be reduced too soon. You can double check by accurately measuring the battery terminal voltage vs the charge controller output voltage--The voltage drop, if >0.2 volts or so, could be too high.

You have have several unrelated issues (solar array voltage, AC charge controller issues)... So, focus on one section at a time and make sure that it is correct (or not) before confusing your self with other issues (or at least keep it clear in your mind, that you are working on different sections and do not mix issues).

Note that heavily sulfated batteries will read "low specific gravity" and high voltage during charging (and low voltage during discharging). So if you see low charging current but the battery is at 29-20 volts charging, then it is probably near full (good) or sulfated (bad).

-Bill
  • vtmaps
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    So, need the name/model number, and/or the Vmp/Imp rating off the back of the panels. Running Vmp~30 volt panels in parallel will not properly (or quickly) recharge your battery bank.

Bill, there was some confusion earlier in this thread about his system voltage. It is 12 volts, so his array configuration is not too much of an issue (although I'm not sure of his wire gauges and voltage drop).

Freewilley, still hasn't told us what his charge settings are on the inverter/charger... if he's at the default settings he's only getting an hour of absorb.

--vtMaps
  • Freewilley
    Options

Answered the charge settings back in post 20....lol
    AND in post 21 Bill suggested I change absorb time to 4 hours and I did this immediately....

lots of numbers floating around...hope this helps

So Bill, given that it is clear the system is 12 volts, any direction now?
  • BB.
    Options

I suggested longer than 2 hours for absorb.

And how are you AC charging (inverter/charger?) and what are the settings for that guy.

Oh, and this is a 12 volt system--So the Vmp~30 volt panels in parallel are fine (eyes getting blurry :roll:).

-Bill