New Solar Water Pump System for Rural and Remote Areas

newsolarpump
newsolarpump Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi,
I'm the constructor of a new kind of Solar Water Pump for the drinking and irrigation water supply in rural and remote areas. It is a complete rural water supply system for farmers, charity organizations or private people.

The main highlights are:
- the complete station is maintenance free
- high flow rates and well dephts (up to 8.000 litres per hour / or up to 100 metres delivery high)
- emergency hand pump function
- saltwater resistant

Moreover it is possible to replace already existing water hand pumps and water windmills in water wells.

I would like to ask what you think about it and if you have seen something similar before?

Wish you a nice day
Dietmar

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: New Solar Water Pump System for Rural and Remote Areas

I am guessing you are in Austria (Europe)?

Looking through your website, it would be nice to have some more technical information (lift vs flow rate, amount of solar panels, type of motor--brushed, electronically commutated, Linear Current Booster or equivalent to match solar array IV curve to motor IV curve, etc.).

Your Youtube video appears to have been taken down by your poster--So I could not see anything there.

I assume a motor plus crank of some sort to move a pump actuation rod up and down? Is there a counter balance on the crank?

I don't have a well, but there are certainly lots of wind turbines throughout the world that use that pumping system--and I would guess that it allows to cost effectively retrofit the system without having to do anything in ground.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭

Piston pump I presume BB.

http://www.newsolarpump.com/nsp-solar-pump/pump-pistons.html
  • BB.

Yes, I saw that--I was wondering what was in the "magic box" at the top.

-Bill ;)
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭

Yea me too! hehe :D
  • newsolarpump

Hey guys,
    yes I'm from Austria - Europe.

Our pump stations are getting custom build because there are many different options to increase the depht or the flow rate.
    The basic programm includes the station with one motor (brushless electric motor) with 2 or 4 solar panels (each 190W).

Up to 50 meter water delivery high are 2 panels to use and from 50 to 100 meter 4 solar panels.
    The flow rate is variable to the delivery high from 600 litres/hour up to 1.700 litres/hour.
    With different options we can increase the flow rate up to 8.000 litres per hour with a delivery high of 20 to 50 metres.

The power from the panel is going to a own customized electric box and from there straight to the motor - there is no battery system required but it would be possible to connect too.

The drive is transmitted with a gearbox and powers a crank lever. This causes vertical reciprocation and the water is pumped to the surface and is freely discharged.
    Our pump pistons underground is our own construction too and they are without any gaskets. For this reason they completely maintenance free. For this reason it is a optimum gadget for water wells in remote areas.

On our Solar Pump Youtube Channel you can find a short video description and on our Website we have a Solar Webcam live view of a pump system in operation.

Thanks for your comments so far!
    Dietmar
  • BB.

Dietmar,

Are you going to offer the motor+electronics as a separate product?

We have quite a few questions from people looking for a solar capable motor to retrofit "beam pumps", water circulation pumps (agriculture and fish farming, etc.). I could see people looking for grain milling and other low tech use of solar power (replicate what wind did for early industrialization).

I wonder if there is a large enough market for a DC brushless motor and a matching controller with linear current booster or even a variable frequency poly phase drive that can run from solar panels and/or battery.

Also, for people watching on the Western side of the Atlantic... The 1.800 number would read as 1,800 (in the US we for some reason swap "." and "," decimal points).

-Bill
  • newsolarpump

Bill,

if there are enough potential and inquiries I could offer the motor inclusive electronic too.

Our Solar Well Pump Station is working similar to the “beam pump” system.
    For this reason I had to find a solution / combination with a brushless dc motor (from 12 to 48V) and an electronic control, powered by solar panels or batteries.
    But I couldn’t found an already existing combination with this specification and for this reason I build an own electronic control with a software where I have many options to regulate.

I have two kinds of controls. I have the option to run 1, 2, 3 or 4 motors at the same time and it’s possible to regulate the speed and the current limiting.

The Motor is very strong. One brings up to 35NM and between 15 and 20NM in permanent operation. On the Motor we have fixed a gearwheel and from there we go on….

If you could find out something about the market let me know… My Email address you can find on our website www.newsolarpump.com.

Dietmar

PS: Thank you for the information of the American typing rules…
  • BB.

I am not in any technical or marketing these days, so I cannot help there.

However, if you have a nice solar compatible motor controller with a programmable/configurable interface, I would think there would be some people here that may be interested.

-Bill
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Do this type of pump provide enough pressure to connect up to a sprinkler system or an irrigation system for a farm? From the pictures it looks like you are basically pumping the water into a holding tank but could it be hooked up directly to an irrigation system and provide enough pressure to irrigate? Would a shurflo 8000 provide enough pressure and power to irrigate? I'm trying to find a smaller solar powered option that can pump water from a retention pond or lake through a sprinkler system.
  • cruiser guy
    cruiser guy Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭✭

If you need a test site, I know of several here in Sierra Leone. There is a Childrens Home/Orphanage as well as an eye clinic near me that are both looking for solar pumping solutions.

I am involved in an NGO here drilling water wells among other things, and while we already have a Grunfos SQF system in our well there are always other folks who would like to emulate us.
  • BB.

CG,

Send a PM or Email to newsolarpump (on his user page) or through their website... He has not been back online since December 2011--So, Dietmar may miss your post here.

-Bill
  • newsolarpump

Hi, thanks for your offer for a project in Sierra Leone.
    I installed last week a Solar Pump Station in Mozambique for a help project together with World Vision. Is World Vision represented in your country too? Maybe if the get a feedback from Mozambique they are interested too?
    How deep are the water wells, whats the inside diameter and how deep are the water levels? What kind of pumps are getting used at the moment?
    Dietmar
  • cruiser guy
    cruiser guy Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭✭

A typical well which we drill is a 6" cased well with an average depth of 80-90 feet. Some are as deep as 160' and some are only 60'. If it is a hand dug well it would be 5' diameter and up to about 40-50 feet deep as a maximum.
    The villages are getting an India Mark 3 hand pump at the moment. At our compound we have a Grunfos SQF solar pump. There are a couple of other NGO's looking for solar water pumps here.
    Yes, World Vision is here in Sierra Leone as well.