Battery caps

JESSICA
JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭
When I bought my new batts one or two months ago, one of you (I think it was a moderator) recommended I should buy these Water Battery Caps: http://www.solar-electric.com/batwatmiscap.html

My question: Will they fit my Trace batteries? They don't have "caps", but something like a plastic bar with 3 plugs in it.
A pic. is worth a 1,000 words:

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Battery caps

The "single" caps have a push and twist bayonet lug in them. These look very different. Maybe you are stuck, or trace has "their own" watering system they are looking to sell.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• dagr51
    dagr51 Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭

I have similar 3-way caps on my GC batteries. Can't you just discard the 3-way and replace with water miser caps?
  • JESSICA
    dagr51 wrote: »
    I have similar 3-way caps on my GC batteries. Can't you just discard the 3-way and replace with water miser caps?

That is, precisely, my question!!!!
    Yes, I can discard the 3-way bar; but: will those miser caps fit the holes?
    I don't want to buy them and then find out they don't fit.

By the way: The 3-plugs bar is of the "twist" kind. I place it on the batteries and then twist it about half an inch until it "locks". Sorry, this is as far as my english goes.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dagr51 wrote: »

Similar to what the poster is showing?

I've seen Golf cart batteries coming with what use to be called speed caps, were one action twists all 3 caps, and then you lift all three together as a unit. I think my Sams Club batteries came with them.

I'm relativly sure the miser caps would work on these.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have a car, truck or tractor battery with individual twist-lock caps, try one on the battery - see if it will twist and lock in. The water saver caps (non catalyst) are a little taller than the plain caps, and they also need space to flip up for watering.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Call th vendor and ask. Find a vender who sells both water miser caps and. Ybqtteriew,, ie NAWS.

Tony
  • JESSICA
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Similar to what the poster is showing?

I've seen Golf cart batteries coming with what use to be called speed caps, were one action twists all 3 caps, and then you lift all three together as a unit. I think my Sams Club batteries came with them.

I'm relativly sure the miser caps would work on these.

Photowhit:

Yes, exactly those. In fact, my new batteries use the same "speed bar" as those sold by Sams.

Tony:

Are you serious? That is a question one should NEVER ask a vendor!
    No matter what the right answer is, every time you ask a vendor if the item they sell would fit, their answer will always be "Of course it will fit". So, why bother?
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

Those same combo-twist-bar-things came on my last set of batteries and my Water Miser caps fit just fine.

Phil
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    JESSICA wrote: »
    Photowhit:

Yes, exactly those. In fact, my new batteries use the same "speed bar" as those sold by Sams.

Tony:

Are you serious? That is a question one should NEVER ask a vendor!
    No matter what the right answer is, every time you ask a vendor if the item they sell would fit, their answer will always be "Of course it will fit". So, why bother?

Then choose another vendor! I suggest that a good, honest, ethical vendor would give you the straight answer,, since the last thing they want is a unhappy customer.

I include our site sponsor, as an example of a good vendor.

T
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    Then choose another vendor! I suggest that a good, honest, ethical vendor would give you the straight answer,, since the last thing they want is a unhappy customer.

I include our site sponsor, as an example of a good vendor.

T

Agree totally. Yes, there are unethical vendors out there, but they usually don't stay in business for very long. In the meantime, there are many good, reliable vendors who yes, need to make a profit to stay in business, but also strive to please their customers. NAWS is definitely among the best. Not all business owners are psychopaths.