Pretty good free TV for off gridders!

softdownsoftdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭✭
Finally found it! After years of frustration - you can download Pluto TV and locast unto smart tv services such as Amazon Fire Stick and  others. They have app's for smartphones as well. I've seen the smartphone app simply called Pluto. 

Locast delivers the closest big cities programming choices. Pluto TV seems to always have a few hundred choices to watch. Many are old shows such as Baywatch, Married with Children etc. Lots of movies to choose from. Lots of most everything it would seem. Both are funded by advertising of course. So you will know what to buy! You can opt out of seeing advertising on locast by contributing $5/month by the way. Locast calls itself "non-profit" and seeks donations. 

I live in a mountain valley. Not even a massive antennae receives more than local programming - which is primarily Spanish. I was stuck with Netflix at $8/month and YouTube. Odd thing about Netflix is you have to search to find more than a few dozen choices. Pluto TV always has what seems to be hundreds of choices being aired.  Netflix is ad free while Pluto TV is funded by ads. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdownsoftdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭✭
    locast might be an exclusive to the Fire Stick? Amazon sent an email saying No Charge for that service. 

I would think that TV with ads might consume a small amount of less energy. Just a guess though. You can't pause or rewind - it is like TV used to be. With ads - now we know what to buy! Who knew that kids shun their parents due to wrinkles on their clothes?

The people that make modern ads are idiots compared to so many of the marketers of yesteryear. Guess I am now old. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Marc KurthMarc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭
    For me, availability of decent internet service is generally the hard part - and expensive. I am not very remote, but we have no cable/fiber, no DSL and Hughes satelite service is atrocious.
    Once you have a decent internet connection, there are more choices than I personally need. We went with cellular based internet with a small outdoor antenna. Very happy with it.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • New_Mexico_WillNew_Mexico_Will Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Marc, would you share what service you are using?  Are you in the US?
  • softdownsoftdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭✭
    locast is a pain. They ask for $5/month every few minutes. They also sell ads so not sure why they are so desperate - real turn off.