At what time do you shut down unnecessary "luxury loads"?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
I used the end of float until recently. Logic says I could still do that but it feels odd to burn unneeded energy after 6pm (I'm at 37N). Tomorrow will be here soon enough. Daylight savings feels weird this year, getting older I suppose. 

Though I try not to run the microwave within an hour of the end of float. 

I've only been full time off grid for less than six years now. Still plenty to learn. 

At what time do you shut down unnecessary "luxury loads"? In relation to float - I would think that is logical. 

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is where I love the Weather Underground forecast web page, with the projected cloud density.  I plan loads and recharge a day ahead. It's seldom seriously wrong.
    https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/or/eugene/44.09,-123.07
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    Though I try not to run the microwave within an hour of the end of float. 

At what time do you shut down unnecessary "luxury loads"? In relation to float - I would think that is logical. 
    I don't consider a microwave a luxury load, With close to a 3000 watt array and assuming a reasonable battery bank, perhaps 8-10 kWhs? a microwave running for 2-6 minutes isn't much of a load. You may see a dip in voltage that should return pretty quick. But consider a 10 minute run at a 1000 watts, that's roughly 1/6th of a kWh before considering the effect of running a load at 1/10th of capacity (just a slight penalty). 

I have regularly run a George Forman grill (770 watts on thermostat) for 30 minutes on 4 Golf cart batteries, though admit I'd want to be sure it would be sunny the following day.  And of course ran an air conditioner (420 watts on thermostat) regularly on 4 golf cart batteries drawing down to <50% SOC during the summer. Currently with a system slightly larger than yours I run a window unit 24/7.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    Outside of popcorn I can't immediately think of something that can't be heated with propane. It is quite easy to avoid the microwave during the "dark hours". 

Plus the microwave has developed areas that fail to cook properly in spite of the rotating tray. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to run a breadmaker for its 4 hour cycle. At that time, my battery bank was 12 GC's, but only about 400 watts of solar. All to do with planning for the available sun.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously people cooked pop corn long before microwave ovens.

As for shutting down luxury loads in a well designed system, it is a matter of looking out the window (or the web). One shifts from electric heat/baking to gas/wood.

For those who do not want that and for more money one can have a separate battery/inverter system to buy more days of autonomy. I do this one frequently. It buys redundancy also and less chance of problems during wildfire season out west.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    706jim said:
    I used to run a breadmaker for its 4 hour cycle. At that time, my battery bank was 12 GC's, but only about 400 watts of solar. All to do with planning for the available sun.
    Was that the bank that lasted for 19 years? Remarkable. 

I am having good luck powering two Energy Star freezers with two ~180 watt panels. Indeed, it seems like water consumption went down after adding the second freezer. Leading me to wonder if excess power tends to "boil off" battery water more. In fact, I think it does. 

Then again, the freezers are in a cold garage. A challenge may present during the warmer months of summer. But I doubt it since the garage probably will not see the 70's much at all. 

My four seasons:
    Winter - colder than cold - last 5 months
    Spring - windy and cold - last 2 months
    Summer - somewhat hot - last 3 months
    Fall - fairly reasonable - last 2 months

Mostly sunny, cold and windy. Lose a lot of time due to excessive winds (though that does alleviate guilt over non productivity). 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    This basic type of popcorn shaker was about the best/most handy I have ever used, and no oil needed (that was 50 years ago--Don't know about this specific brand and price):

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Campsite-Popcorn-Popper/dp/B000LGGGH4

Any heat source, shake and pop, then turn over to dump out the unpopped kernels. Dump popcorn into paper bag, salt, and butter, and you are done.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it this one Bill?  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T3P6PM/ref=sbl_dpx_B07N6LSXN5_0

We have had this for too long to admit in public.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Nope, the rectangular shaker. Marketed for camping, but works great on a gas stove.

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    I spent a week watching Q episodes on youtube and bought it hook, line, and sinker. Then decided I needed a few hundred bags of popcorn for all the drama that would soon unfold. Well - nothing really happened. Still have hundreds of bags of popcorn. Hope it stores well.

I think popcorn might work for diets. Fills you up - with nothing. But there are few nutrients and protein for sustenance either, 
  • fratermus
    fratermus Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I shut down the opportunity load circuit in the campervan a few points below Vfloat.  This gives a bit of wiggle room in case I add a load on the system that causes a bit of a sag.  

As for popcorn, I cook it in a wok.   The shape is perfect to redirect the unpopped kernels back to the heat.
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    706jim said:
    Yes that was the bank. About 12 years old at the time. I would sit there calculating amps and my wife thought I was nuts. But it worked. BTW new for this season will be an Outback Flexmax 80 as has been suggested by a few on this forum.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • softdown
    706jim said:
    softdown said:
    706jim said:
    Yes that was the bank. About 12 years old at the time. I would sit there calculating amps and my wife thought I was nuts. But it worked. BTW new for this season will be an Outback Flexmax 80 as has been suggested by a few on this forum.

Reasonably priced and easy to interface with as well.