Dig a pit to keep battery temps stable?

Options
2twisty
2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
I live in far west texas and my batteries get rather toasty in the summer.  

I am considering digging a pit 3-4 ft deep to put the batteries in for the geothermal temp regulation, and then putting a hut over top that is insulated heavily.

What think ye? I'm only getting about 2.5 years out of a set of GC2s due to the high temps in the summer.

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's awfully short life span, I would, actually I prefer bringing the ground up and around the batteries, making a berm shelter for them. Less worries about water collection.

Image result for berm shelter

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I also considered putting the batteries in the ground but ended up using a water bath with good results.

Here is a link to the thread.       Post #27 is where I start publishing the water bath battery tempature results.
    https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/353721/cooling-the-batteries/p1

Keep in mind that with the batteries 3-4' in the ground maintaining the batteries will not be any fun.

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd use a water bath with a chiller.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019 #6
    Options
    2Twisty. Gentleman here in the Big Bend area of West TX puts his clients batteries in a hole, in water, outside on a north wall, with a simple cover. Very successful. 

He goes by the name of Desert Rat on the forum. Smart guy. Look up some of his posts. 
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Here is Desert Rat's user page and search for posts:

https://forum.solar-electric.com/profile/Desert Rat

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019 #8
    Options
    Did the water bath a while back, using a 90W water cooler with a small aquarium pump, it was  very effective at keeping temperature at bay, the only problem I encountered was animals were attached to the water, often drowning, with predictable outcomes, but with  nylon mosquito netting these problems could be reduced/eliminated. The system only operated during the day using excess production which would otherwise been wasted, lead acid batteries generate heat whilst charging, so it's logical to to cool when most vulnerable, during the hottest period.

The change to LFP looks promising with regards to temperature gain, their inherent efficiency reduces the gain, albeit I'm in the transition from cool to hot seasons, today was 38°C or 100°F maximum, night time drops to 24°C /75°F, maximum battery temperature recorded is 30°C/86°F, but I wonder what the really hot period will reveal, when ambient temperatures don't drop below 30°C/86°F overnight, this would be a period of ~2 months, given historical data. The lead acid batteries by contrast never dropped below 36°C/96.8°F during this period , not good for the chemistry, will collect data to see if temperatures remain somewhat stable, so far so good. Having said that if temperatures drop significantly below zero for extended periods , LFP may not be the best choice.,
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At the risk of hijacking this thread - still on the subject of temperature regulation, but on the opposite end....  :)

We have our batteries (and all the electronics) in a small basement room on the north end of our cabin. That works well to regulate the temperatures in the summer, and even when the outside ambient air is 95°F the batteries stay in the 70s. Ok, great.

Our problem is in the winter. At some point our AGM batteries will be at end of life. Watching the progress on LFP (and noting the experiences here on the board, most recently from @mcgivor), I'd love to be able to at least have the option to consider that technology. Unfortunately at 9,000 ft elevation in Colorado, the outside temp can easily get to -20°F (I used -36°F for my hyper Voc design calculations). I see that LFP specs are pretty consistent that they must be at 32°F or higher for charging, and storage / discharge needs to be around 0°F or higher.   Although I'm not sure how cold it gets in the basement of the cabin, I'm sure it's below those temps.

My first thought was to simply take these lighter batteries out in the fall and put them back in the spring, keeping them in a warmer garage down range all winter. The problem with that is that the regular use of the cabin overlaps some with the cold temps both in the fall and the spring.  

The idea of pit or berm probably wouldn't go over well.  I'd be a bit worried about leaks in a large water bath container, especially during the months that no one is around. 

I periodically drag the idea back out and do some thinking about it, and then eventually fall back to having to stay with AGMs. Any ideas I'm missing?

Steve

Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Horsefly said:
    ..... I see that LFP specs are pretty consistent that they must be at 32°F or higher for charging.

it's even worse than that,  40°F is about as low as the batteries can go and still be fully functional. Below that, recharge has to be throttled back, approaching no charging at 33°F.   And below 40°F, you start to seriously loose capability.   But using your BMS to incorporate some heater tape like water pipe heat tape, and some insulation, you can set up some timers to allow heating with surplus solar, and keep the pack around 50°F, where it should be really happy. 
     Some of the rigid 2" foam board insulation ought to do the job. 
     Watch your cable connection areas, copper is a excellent heat conductor, and your cables can suck heat away from the cells at the connection points, while other cells are cooking
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Estragon
    Options
    I also have the low temp issue with any sort of lithium batteries (ambient can be -40°).  My plan is to use a number of temp sensors incorporated into a DIY built pack and a microcontroller to make sure there's no charging at below freezing temps.  Pv output will go first to warming the pack (likely with heat trace as Mike suggests), and charging only started if/when the pack is warmed.

I'm playing around with sensors like these now:
    https://www.amazon.com/Eowpower-Stainless-DS18B20-Waterproof-Temperature/dp/B0714588F8/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1549475377&sr=8-17π=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=1+wire+temperature+sensor

With enough sensors, it should be possible to be fairly confident the pack has warmed consistently, including near terminals.

If they work out, I'll likely try making a small experimental pack before deciding on whether a full bank is worth pursuing.  Hopefully I have a good few years to experiment before needing a bank replacement :smile:

AFAIK, storage is ok at low temps, and unlike LA, partial SOC storage is actually better.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019 #12
    Options
    Thanks @mike95490 and @Estragon. You've both given me quite a bit to think about. 

@mike95490: I like the idea of building a rigid foam board enclosure. I don't think I know enough about what the BMS can do to know how to have it control some heating. But, you've given me something to go look at.

@Estragon: Your idea seems pretty cool. The engineer in me gets kind of excited to figure it out. For the microcontroller, are you thinking of Arduino, Raspberry Pi, or something else?  Would you redirect the charge controller power via relay?  Are you pretty confident that storage (with no charging or discharging) at below freezing is OK? The specs seem to indicate otherwise, but I've not seen anything about what will happen if you do go below freezing.  By the way: I've used DS18B20 temp probes for years in my home automation hobby. I've currently got (I think) 7 of them inside and outside our house, logging temps every 10 minutes 24 hrs/day. I'm guessing they have been working continuously now for about 10 years.
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both BMS that  I use have temperature limitations for charging/discharging, but no control output for external heating or cooling, though it wouldn't be difficult to make such control externally, perhaps incorporating a timer. 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Estragon
    Options
    For my first go-around with the sensors, I'm using a pi zero with a 1-wire driver board and 12 sensors.  This will be recording temps at incremental depths from air down to lakebed, mostly so I can better understand freezeup and breakup water column changes.  Readings will be stored in a local db, and uploaded periodically along with solar monitoring readings.

For a battery pack project, I was thinking an arduino type board for lower idle power consumption if it's just redirecting pv output via relay.  A pi might be easier if controlling & monitoring charge controller state (modbus) though.  I'll also look at BMSs in more depth as well to see if some can do some/all of what I want.

I know EVs are a bit different chemistry, but they're sold in my climate, and sit in very cold weather.  If plugged in, they must use power initially to warm the pack before charging.  If not plugged in, I assume they use some battery power to self-heat before discharging to drive?  I don't think they'd be able to keep the pack warm for days at a time at -40° using battery power alone though, and they wouldn't find much interest around here if they went dead just sitting in the driveway or parking lot.

My understanding is the main problem with sub-zero charging is hard plating.  In storage, especially cold, there would be little/no chemical activity.  There may be an issue with physical changes though (expanstion/contraction, vibration, etc), which likely depends on cell and encapsulation type.

I've left small lithiums in cold temps to no apparent ill effect (once they warm up), but I'd want to test a small lifepo pack with the cell type I'd use in a bank. 

Maybe there will be commercial products designed for low temp off-grid use at some point, but I'm guessing the market is pretty small and a DIY will be needed.
    Off-grid.