Just Curious. I can't sell or give away my DIY Solar Setup or if I sold my property?

hmong2017
hmong2017 Registered Users Posts: 39 ✭✭
edited August 2018 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
A guy from a Solar Company (Name not listed so I or they won't get in trouble IN CASE) told me when I called and asked them about a question on my DIY Solar setup. 

He mentioned before we hung up that I cannot sell, give away or leave behind my Solar Setup if I sold my property...
I asked him why, and he's like, I could get into trouble.
AND THAT'S IT!  He wouldn't mention more.... Is THIS A LIE to get me to buy their licensed products? 

I am very concerned about my solar setup now. What if I decided to give it away, sell it off or whatever... is it really illegal? 
The setup parts is all from EBAY and AMAZON. Wires, Controller, Inverters, Panels, Combine box, Batteries and the list goes on.

I've had this setup for several years now. I do have a few problems here and there, but I've replaced parts, disposed of the hazardous electronics properly... and etc. But never before I knew that I cannot sell of my setup, give away or leave it behind on my property for the next owner if I sold my property.......!!!!!!!!
This has caused a great stress for me all day. What's the REAL deal other than, "You can get in trouble." If it is true, can someone explain to me why? 

Even if I took it all apart and give each part away or sold it, I'd still be in TROUBLE???

I live in Butte County, California USA. 
Yes, a State that has the MOST regulations that maybe 90% of its citizens don't know of its regulations. 
I am not sure who to ask this question.

Comments

• petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    yes .... a very broad statment. You may wish to expand on exactly what you have , and  how you have it set up .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • hmong2017
    yes .... a very broad statment. You may wish to expand on exactly what you have , and  how you have it set up .
    WHat do you mean? So it's True? It's really illegal?
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    No ... im not saying it is or isn't   illegal     .. Just dont know , because you haven't listed what you have,   nor have you explained how you use it or have it set up  
    So a bit more info 
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • hmong2017
    No ... im not saying it is or isn't   illegal     .. Just dont know , because you haven't listed what you have,   nor have you explained how you use it or have it set up  
    So a bit more info 
    Sorry, Here is the setup:

6 of 260W POLYCRYSTALLINE Modules 24V SUNSPARK BRAND
    Connected in Parallel in a Combiner Box (Midnite Brand)
    To a Charge Controller MPPT 80A ROXPV BRAND MODEL MPPT2480D
    then 8AWG wire from controller to charge batteries
    then 4 MightyMax Solar 200Ah 12V Series to make 24V 200Ah and paralleled to make 400Ah
    then #2 Battery Cable from battery onto my Power inverter 5000WATT AIMS CORP BRAND Modified Sine Wave. 

The solar is used to power pond pumps, Air pumps, Filters  and a Window Air Conditioner 8,000 Btu that we installed the cord facing outside so we can plug using an extension cord.  There's Many, many other uses that this setup has provided us for a few years now. 
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, your wire is undersized. I hope you have fuses/breakers sized for the small wire. Sold or left behind as a system may expose you to civil liability. There may also be insurance issues if any of the gear lacks ETL certification.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Thick8
    Thick8 Registered Users Posts: 49 ✭✭
    You can always sell the individual components on EBay. You just can’t sell it as a system because it’s not certified as a system. It’s like doing wiring yourself in the house without a permit or having it inspected. If the house burns because of that wiring job; various government agencies, the lean holder, and home owner are coming after you. 
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He might be playing games with you...

I guess you would were to sell the home you would want to clarify if the solar was to stay or go with you.

If you entered into a contract, written of otherwise. Then you would need to notify the other parties. Assuming you own everything with no loans. If the solar was in place so that you could get a certificate of occupancy. Or you were running an aerator on a neighboring property for septic... Things like that can get ugly.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8 ga wire from controller to bank good for ~50a depending on insulation etc. Controller is 80a.

2ga wire good for ~100a. A 5000@24v = ~200+a.

Window air conditioner connected with an exterior extention cord.

Knowing nothing about CA electrical code, I'll go out on a limb and guess this may not comply.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018 #10
    The easiest way to prevent problems would be to remove the system prior to putting the property on the market, it wouldn't change the value but would relive you of any potential liability issues related to improper wiring, non compliant components and so forth . Selling the equipment disassembled would not result in future liability as it would no longer be a system but simply used components, assuming no modifications were made. Not something to loose sleep over IMHO 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • hmong2017
    Thank you all. I understand it is undersized now, and I'll replace the wiring. As for now, I know that I cannot sell it by the unit, but I can resell it by the parts. No need to complain anymore... I do have fuses and breakers between the controller and inverter wires. 
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your agent can always add the clause "Solar power system AS IS" 

Did you get permits & Inspections when you installed it ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    There was a local guy who discovered that buyers weren't willing to pay much for his installed (presumably properly) PV solar system.  So it was worth it to remove it and sell it separately.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mike95490 said:
    Your agent can always add the clause "Solar power system AS IS" 

Did you get permits & Inspections when you installed it ?
    The key to what Mike wrote is that you have to disclose everything about it that you know!
    Like permits, quality of workmanship, and who did the installation. If you don't you can be sued.

I have been thru this with a few folks and as Jonr said it may be best to just sell the equipment, unless, you need the power from it.

I had a recent customer who paid me to bring someone elses installed system up to code. There were parts that I could not re-work and all of that is disclosed on my bill. The property sold and sure enough bingo, there is a lawsuit against my client. Lucky I had my disclosure on my bill and it was all settled out of court for cash.

Butte county CA should be easy BTW.  Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]