Sun Elec's Free Solar Panels

2»

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, I was at the Sun Electric site and they have posted an update on the free panels.

"You will be charged $2.70 per panel to cover the shipping/handling from California to our Miami warehouse. If you need these panels shipped outside of Miami, FL, you will be responsible for the additional shipping charges incurred."

Thought I'd pass this along.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • cupcake
    cupcake Solar Expert Posts: 254 ✭✭✭
    "FREE, just PAY shipping" --- lol!  Almost as absurd as "I have NO debt, EXCEPT for my MORTGAGE"...

come on ya'll...

:)

~1.5Kw PV in parallel
    Morningstar MPPT-60 controllers (2) in parallel
    3 Trojan tr-1275's in parallel 450ah total
    Samlex 2,000 watt 12-volt inverter hardwired

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's actually worse, and I'm going to pass on the free panels.  I'd figured I'd spend a couple hundred on shipping, but then there is packing charges (their time), the panels ended up being in lousy shape, cracked, and non-functional made up an appreciable % of what they are unloading. 
    So much for my plans of a solar powered garden light that had enough panel to work.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Photowhit
    edited November 2016 #35
    mike95490 said:
    ....but then there is packing charges (their time), the panels ended up being in lousy shape, cracked, and non-functional made up an appreciable % of what they are unloading. 
    I know you have been in touch with them, I guess their removal was done more like stripping the roof than just removing the panels. Are there additional charges above the $2.70 per and shipping from Miami? Sounded like those were the complete charges. 

I had a larger project in mind, I think I'll look into the ACO's  40 cent a watt + shipping Topoint 190 watt panels, They sent out a email stating pallet qty's but site only listed 2 pallet or more qty's and original pricing of around 57 cents a watt. (Sunelec had a better price on these before this sale)

I'm glad sunelec gave a good understanding of what was going to be received. I would expect them to recover their costs and personally never like people using negative terms like "unloading' when the goal was good, which I think it is here. I would worry about replacing multiple connectors, that would be a lot of time for small panels.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Build one of these Mike!  :)

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the $2.50/panel was only to cover their cost to get them shipped to their own warehouse  Then there is the fee to re-crate the panels in a secure pallet, and also the shipping costs. And now those panels are not so free, and the cost is getting above a new panel at any store.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016 #38
    Photowhit said:

I had a larger project in mind, I think I'll look into the ACO's  40 cent a watt + shipping Topoint 190 watt panels, They sent out a email stating pallet qty's but site only listed 2 pallet or more qty's and original pricing of around 57 cents a watt. (Sunelec had a better price on these before this sale)

Who is ACO? I'd like more Topoint panels. Bought six last year and they look good....plus having a good rep. Too bad that panel manufacturers so frequently go out of business.

As for shipping the solar tiles in question....Florida is a surprisingly large state. The costs to get from Miami to Georgia are pretty significant. Used solar tiles are not an item that ships real easily....uneven glass with delicate wiring. I might expect significant losses or significant shipping fees. Perhaps both. I don't believe I would pursue this unless I was fairly close to Miami. Or looking for used solar tiles in bulk of course.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Photowhit
    softdown said:
    Photowhit said:

Who is ACO? I'd like more Topoint panels. Bought six last year and they look good....plus having a good rep. Too bad that panel manufacturers so frequently go out of business.

As for shipping the solar tiles in question....Florida is a surprisingly large state. The costs to get from Miami to Georgia are pretty significant. Used solar tiles are not an item that ships real easily....uneven glass with delicate wiring. I might expect significant losses or significant shipping fees. Perhaps both. I don't believe I would pursue this unless I was fairly close to Miami. Or looking for used solar tiles in bulk of course.

Mostly a wholesaler dealing in multiple pallet quantities.

Minimum quantity appears as 2 - 66 panel pallets, but I received an Email on pallet quantity and sale price. Doubt they would deal in smaller than pallet quantities;
    https://www.acosolar.com/topoint-jtm190-72m-190w-mono-silver-frame-solar-panel
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016 #40
    Photowhit said:
    softdown said:
    Photowhit said:

Mostly a wholesaler dealing in multiple pallet quantities.

Minimum quantity appears as 2 - 66 panel pallets, but I received an Email on pallet quantity and sale price. Doubt they would deal in smaller than pallet quantities;
    https://www.acosolar.com/topoint-jtm190-72m-190w-mono-silver-frame-solar-panel
    Thanks. They show out of stock on the 220 watt panels with the best price/panel. Located a bit east of LA, California. I'd be up for some more panels (esp at ~190 watt) but not a full pallet. I registered my business...for resale. Tough captha's(sp).

LA is not a real bad drive for me.....one very long day.

Also found that my interpretation of VmP was way off. Thought that was the panel voltage measurement at the charge controller.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I think this topic has been discussed enough.

-Bill "moderator" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
This discussion has been closed.