Induction cooker

Options

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Induction cooker
    niel wrote: »
    my theory is it is not temperature regulated at all as it has no way to accurately measure the temp, but it was more of an observation that at the point on the dial they had placed it at that they observed it eventually reached the 210 degree f most of the time. in other words it wouldn't be the temperature that is regulating the cooking, but the setting on the dial they observed usually put it at 210 degrees. it probably has a tolerance range on it like maybe +/-5 degrees or something. the clue to me was why 210 degrees and not 212 degrees for the boiling point that helped to lead me to my conclusion. add a fancy temp readout for that dial setting and wow people think there's a thermometer in it.

I would go even further and say that they cannot really predict temperature. Say, you have a boiling water in a pot. It'll be at 100C no matter what. You can add heat and make it boil faster, or you can reduce heat and thus reduce boiling. But you cannot really change the temperature. Watts is the only thing they can control.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    silvertop wrote: »
    I do believe that there is a probe under the glass top and that it can cycle on and off as adjusted. I think any probe under a surface has to have a temperature compensated adjustment for that glass .

from post #43 in this thread:
    chrisolsen wrote:
    And it has infrared sensors in the cooktop that sense the temperature of the cooking vessel. You set a temp setting on the WaveTouch controls and the computer in the range automatically, and very precisely, maintains that temperature. It also senses the size and magnetic mass of the cooking vessel so it adjusts the magnetic field to fit it.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

not sure the ir temp sensor would be that accurate going through the cooktop glass as glass has always thwarted my measures with my ir thermometer. maybe they recalibrated it accounting for the glass. with that i'll retract my previous opinion.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Options

Great read on this thread & good post Mr. Silvertop & Ms.
    "open minded. let's not discourage anyone"
    I understood C-Olsen points , and never thought for a moment that he was pushing oneside.
    I once read on this site that a gent Mig or Tig welded off solar on nice sunny days.. No Tin-Foil hat required !!
    Great site , lets keep it "open minded & not discourage anyone"

VT
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CDN_VT wrote: »
    Great read on this thread & good post Mr. Silvertop & Ms.
    "open minded. let's not discourage anyone"
    I understood C-Olsen points , and never thought for a moment that he was pushing oneside.
    I once read on this site that a gent Mig or Tig welded off solar on nice sunny days.. No Tin-Foil hat required !!
    Great site , lets keep it "open minded & not discourage anyone"

VT

Have to agree with you "VT", there's a huge range of folks who frequent this awesome forum, and also purchase from our host, and really, seriously appreciate their providing this forum. I have learned much here over the years, and hopefully I've also offered some useful information. Hopefully the forum will continue to be both useful and valuable to the complete range of folks who either live off grid totally, partially, have big systems or small systems, or are just curious about the whole thing.
    My best wishes to everyone here. Peace.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank You Mr Wayne !!!

VT
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Differing points of view are welcome.
    Intractability and ignoring the warnings of moderators are not.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    CDN_VT wrote: »
    Thank You Mr Wayne !!!

VT

I have been trying for a while to make out your avatar. Is that helicopter a millisecond away from a crash?

One day years ago when I was working in the oilfield in the Peruvian jungle, I heard a lot of noise coming from outside my hut. I went outside to look and saw a 'copter jockey in one of those big old Sikorsky single rotor jobs hovering and pushing a big wooden cable reel across the yard with his nose gear just for a lark. We were largely unsupervised out there...
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options

I have to sorta agree. With Today's PV prices off grid seems to be leaning towards larger PV arrays and there fore will have an abundance of power from time to time. We personally use Crockpots and electric space heating to use our excess.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

right as it can burn off excess power when one has it. now come wintertime or long periods of bad weather it won't be good to rely on only having that as the only means of cooking and many off grid systems are still on the small side to begin with even though many of them are upgrading now with lower pv prices. that is why i said it's not for all who are off grid as it would be wrong to make a blanket statement like that.

as far as excess power being burned off goes, if you have excess then almost anything can be used in that case be it a standard electric burner or even a microwave and most do opt for microwaves as they are a bit cheaper and more versatile than induction plates. shoot if they want to they can use a clipper to burn off power, but you can't cook with that.:roll::p
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    Options

Parabolic concentrator is the only way to go. Free energy, just have to wait for the sun to come up..... You can even use a magnifying glass to heat water faster than an induction cooker.
    Any method of exchanging electricity for heat... BAH Humbug.....

Cooking an egg in under 3 minutes with a parabolic cooker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVosClqnVF0
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Parabolic concentrator is the only way to go. Free energy, just have to wait for the sun to come up..... You can even use a magnifying glass to heat water faster than an induction cooker.
    Any method of exchanging electricity for heat... BAH Humbug.....

Cooking an egg in under 3 minutes with a parabolic cooker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVosClqnVF0

And here are a couple more solar trough cookers I've had my eye on.
    http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Indirect_solar_cookers
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

Solar cookers are great if there is sun, otherwise clouds or night = raw eggs. Impossible to come home from work at 5 in November and make dinner. When there is sun they have a high "fiddle factor". They have their place (especially solar water purifiers) and I've been meaning to build one of each, so don't think I hate them. They just aren't going to be mainstream.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    Options
    techntrek wrote: »
    Solar cookers are great if there is sun, otherwise clouds or night = raw eggs. Impossible to come home from work at 5 in November and make dinner.
    That's why Hank Hill sells propane, and propane accessories !
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think our resident physicist inetdog would confirm that the energy used is the same, whether at a low Wattage activated more frequently or a high Wattage activated less frequently. The only advantage to the choice would be reducing the current 'hit' on the system with the lower Wattage setting.

I have nothing on my off-grid system that consumes as much power at one time as one of these (1300 Watts max), nor would it be able to support such a load.

Confirmed, although with on small, subtle difference:

If you turn on a high power element, with most burner construction it will lose more heat to the surroundings during the brief time that it is on at high temperature than a similar element which is on continuously at a lower temperature. The amount of heat that actually goes into the cooking pan and the food has to be pretty much the same. The amount of energy consumed may be slightly different because the efficiency of the element in delivering heat just to the pan may be higher when it is running at a lower temperature.
    Probably not worth considering though, compared to the importance for some foods of maintaining an even cooking temperature instead of cycling up and down.
    Coot: "It depends." :-)

Thanks for the edit. :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    techntrek wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion. I love that stuff especially after an oil change session, but never considered it for the stainless stuff inside the house. Our usual solution is an inch of water in the bottom as it sits on the counter for a day and then lots of scrubbing. I'll have to go out to my garage and get the orange bottle next time...
    I have no recommendations on what to use for cleaning gunk off stainless steel. That will depend a lot on what the gunk is and how fast you want it removed.
    But for the residual stains left on the stainless steel (funny how that happens), I have not found anything that does as good as "Bartender's Friend". It combines a mild (but don't use it on things that will scratch easily) abrasive with oxalic acid. The acid is what removes the surface discoloration from stainless. A little bit goes a long way, but it is best to use it after you have gotten the thick crud off in some other way.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

"According to the U.S. Department of Energy, the efficiency of energy transfer for an induction cooker is 84%, versus 74% for a smooth-top non-induction electrical unit, for an approximate 12% saving in energy for the same amount of heat transfer."

Interesting since the efficiency of the high freq. inverter in the inductive cooking element is about 85% efficient.
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭
    Options
    Differing points of view are welcome.
    Intractability and ignoring the warnings of moderators are not.

How long is a "temporary ban"?

I've always enjoyed ChrisOlson's posts and the sharing of his experience, and I hope that he returns here once the temporary ban is over.
  • animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    Options

I second that. Chris can be somewhat abrasive but he does provide some very good detailed information. He shares some very interesting technical information. I hope his ban is only temporary. Matthew wright
  • halfcrazy
    Options

I just got my propane bill just for cooking for the summer. Dang I got to get an electric cook top asap it will pay for itself very quickly. Man Propane is getting stupid in cost around here.

Ryan
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    animatt wrote: »
    I second that. Chris can be somewhat abrasive but he does provide some very good detailed information. He shares some very interesting technical information. I hope his ban is only temporary. Matthew wright
    Agree. I've also once in the past been on the receiving end of the abrasiveness, but on the whole he has definitely contributed to my knowledge in a positive way. Hey, I'm not perfect either, I just don't see my own faults.
    And propane prices where I live is totally insane. Some people are starting to buy wood burning BBQs, then they wonder around picking up little twigs and sticks to fire it :(
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    animatt wrote: »

Well it looks like the banning is over but no Chris (according to his status). I suspect he will not return, I understand why it happened, but his type of personality is very passionate and it because of that he probably will not return easily or quickly. I too feel this is an unfortunate turn of events, but the mods need to do what they feel is correct. Sometimes we all get caught up in the heat of the thread not thinking how it might be interpreted, standing back might be a better course of action.

I certainly hope Chris will return but really don't expect much.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options

Chris, If you're reading this, I can assure you that there are hundreds, may be thousands of people who will be very interesed in reading your posts on the subject of induction cooking as well as other subjects on this forum.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Noto Bene:

Mr. Olson was suspended temporarily due to his attitude in this and other threads as well as the content of certain private messages. He was warned beforehand. Regular forum members do not know the whole story behind this situation.

It is regrettable that the forum software shows people as "banned for life" when they are only suspended. This has always been a problem as it gives people the wrong impression. There is nothing we can do about it, but hope that the next software upgrade provides improvement.

It appears Mr. Olson has chosen, for reasons of his own, to not participate in the forum in future. His lack of participation is not due to any request by either the moderators here nor the forum host NAWS.

This thread is supposed to be a discussion of the pros and cons of induction cooking devices in relation to off-grid power systems. It is not a discussion of forum operations. If it is not possible to keep the thread on track we will lock it.

The rules remain the same for everybody: respect the posters, and that includes the moderators.
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭
    Options
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    Chris, If you're reading this, I can assure you that there are hundreds, may be thousands of people who will be very interesed in reading your posts on the subject of induction cooking as well as other subjects on this forum.

I agree with this 100%! I've really benefited from reading posts by ChrisOlson.

On the topic of induction cooktops, I've got a couple portable Duxtop 1800W induction cooktops that I have for emergency backup. If grid power is down and I can't afford (too much power draw) to run the regular range in the kitchen, then I flip the breaker for the range to make sure it can't be turned on, put a piece of wood (polyurethane coated plywood) on top of the range, and put a couple of the Duxtop induction hotplates on top for the wife to use. That along with the microwave and small toaster oven is what we'd use for cooking during a power outage. If for some reason my backup plan doesn't work, then there's always the campfire cooking option outdoors too. ;)
  • halfcrazy
    Options

I was thinking I may swap the gas range out for a Gas oven/Electric cook top unit but then I just read the post above and decided that's just what I will do. I will make a nice plywood top and buy a couple induction cooktops. Boy I sure despise paying the propane bill and with the price of PV now I sure wonder if one can make the financial argument for more electric cooking or water heating. I need to go find my calculator now..

Ryan
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Up here the problem is that grid electric, propane, and NG (where available) are all very cheap making any solar-sourced power the expensively bad choice! :cry:

It ain't the same all over, that's for sure!
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    I just got my propane bill just for cooking for the summer. Dang I got to get an electric cook top asap it will pay for itself very quickly. Man Propane is getting stupid in cost around here.

How bad is it in Maine? My last fill up (in July) was $1.74 gallon. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Around here filling 'pound' rated tanks it is running ~ a buck per pound unless it is a 100# tank, then they tack on road tax! Reason? anything 100# or more is considered as fueling for transportation...:grr :grr

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    westbranch wrote: »
    Around here filling 'pound' rated tanks it is running ~ a buck per pound unless it is a 100# tank, then they tack on road tax! Reason? anything 100# or more is considered as fueling for transportation...:grr :grr

If you divide out vtMaps $1.74 you get about $0.46 per litre, or roughly half what we pay.
    Hey, anyone want to buy some Vancouver gasoline at $5.17 per gallon? :p
This discussion has been closed.