Security system for an off-grid cabin?

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Security system for an off-grid cabin?

We lock all our remote site cabins with combination locks and hasps. We use locks where we set the combos and we set them all the same, so that we never have to remember keys, or numbers. (I do have to remember my glasses however to be able to see the numbers!)

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I like the punch type locks (see my link)... You can do those by feel (no glasses or no flashlight).

I too have a few Master 4 number locks--and the glasses/low light is rapidly becoming more of an issue. :cry:

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • train82499
    train82499 Registered Users Posts: 11

This is an excellent product by DSC if you have any kind of cell coverage. Ties into any burglar alarm (most of which have 12v systems), runs on 12v, very little draw (assuming ok signal), and the monitoring co. can both call you and send you emails if there is a break in. Works on the GSM network, data side only at this time so you need monitoring co.

http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=products&o=view&id=138
  • icarus

"Hello Police, we have a reported break in at such and such lat/long"

"Yea, we'll get right on it, and hop in the plane and fly the 150km to see if it was a break in or a bear"

"10-4!"

Tony
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I bought my camp and property after 9/11 and realized very quickly that I had opened a free stuff storage unit for crooks. They were more than happy to break in the back door and relieve me of my tools, candy, night vision scope (Russian surplus) and a few of my wife's things'

The investigator took some finger prints (hilarious)..I think he was trying to make me feel better but he was a part time guy and he had some stuff in his trunk to play with. Anyways I was smart enough to tie my camp to my homeowners insurance so I got some of it back. I couldn't sleep much after that and I kept my tools in my truck which had become a mobile tool shed.

I still lost lots of sleep and during the weeks that followed and I was always wondering if someone had broken in again and taken the little bit of stuff left.

I searched on-line for an alarm system for a camp w/o power but there was nothing at all available. I took matters into my own hands and designed a system for me and it took care of my problem and haven't had problems since. That was about 7 years ago and since then I've helped a lot of people in the US, Mexico, Canada and the UK with their problem of protecting their off-grid remote property.

Please do a search for the terms (cabin alarm 12V) on Google, Yahoo, AOL or any of the other major search engines for help. You'll find something on the first page that will help. It can't guarantee you won't get robbed but it has stopped them various times and you'll be able to sleep knowing its there waiting.

Steve.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

steven,
    so tell the guys what good that will do when there's nobody around to hear the alarm?
  • icarus

I'm reminded of the adage,,,," If a alarm is triggered in the woods and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound?"

Tony
  • BB.

For flashing lights--Add a disco ball and some music--and they are ready to go...

Joking aside--Thieves are looking for easy targets of opportunities--Anything that gets them nervous probably doesn't hurt.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

Depends on how stupid the thieves are. İf they have an İQ of over about 80 İ doubt they will be overly impressed with an alarm no one can hear.
  • niel

set it up for the bat signal.:p
  • Telco
    Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭

[sorry--there is a thin line between humor and encouraging illegal actions. A bit "out there" for this forum. -Bill B.]
  • Telco
    Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Telco wrote: »
    [sorry--there is a thin line between humor and encouraging illegal actions. A bit "out there" for this forum. -Bill B.]

No problemo. ;):D
  • hamlet_jones
    hamlet_jones Registered Users Posts: 12

Try this:

http://www.stopthecrime.com/products.htm

Uses a P.I.R. sensor and alarm circuit to trip a pepper spray device that will fill the cabin with a non-lethal deterrent.

They won't be coming back.
  • BB.

As always, check with your local fire/police/sheriff's departments and local laws to see what is legal for your location or not...

-Bill
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

If you have ever had ANY experience with pepper spray, you would think thrice before using a product inside anything, especially if you wanted to use that space EVER again...

We had an accidental spraying inside a truck cab,

they replaced the entire inside of the truck and seal coated the metal parts.

After 2 years you still could NOT get into that truck for more than 5 minutes and not have trouble breathing! Even with the widows open full...

Use with extreme caution!

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • russ

İ expect the sheriff's or fire dept might not think that was so neat. İf they were the ones to get sprayed the 'stuff' would not doubt hit the fan and you find yourself in the cooler.
  • System2

I recommend a DSC 3060 for off-grid security. This is the latest GSM based security module which offers immediate call to a security center of any alarm, low power usage, and connects to any standard security panel. The unit sell for $150-$175. Our unit is coupled with a 14db Yagi antenna providing a range of over 30 km. to the nearest cell tower.
  • niel

that would make the proverbial tree falling with nobody around heard a much larger distance away, but at a 30klm distance that may be enough time to break in, get what they want, and dart away before the authorities may get there.:cry: no easy answers.
  • train82499
    train82499 Registered Users Posts: 11

The GS3060 is found at http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=products&o=view&id=138 for info.
  • russ

The bad guys will surely appreciate something more thrown in for them to steal!
  • rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭

I have a house down in Baja which during the summer months it is too hot down here, I leave the house vacant. Breakins are a problem, so I did a search and found this site:
    http://cabinalarm.com/
    It is a 12v alarm system that does not use any power until it is triggered. Sounds a loud siren and has a flashing strobe light.
    I agree with all the logic of a tree falling and no one hearing it, but maybe the banditos don't know no one can hear it. For sure the banditos can hear it, because it is pretty loud. I installed it 3 months ago and turn it on every night, and so far no false alarms.
    Check it out, maybe it will help someone else.
    Larry
  • niel

larry,
    are you saying they know the alarm is there and is why they have not triggered it? if that's the case you are lucky the thieves near you are el stupido not to figure out that there's nobody else around to hear it. the brighter of the bunch may figure it out in time. some thieves may interpret the alarm as 1 a challenge and/or 2 that you now have more valuables to protect.
    if they don't know it's there then it's just a matter of time before they try it. alarm activates for how long before thieves see no cavalry coming to protect the place?
  • rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭

Niel
    After rereading my post I see that I was not very clear. I set the alarm every night, and so far no false alarms. I am not expecting any problems or breakins while I am here at the house, but I don't want any false alarms either. Just like car alarms, if there are too many false alarms then no one will pay any attention to them when the alarm does go off. The banditos don't know I have an alarm but they will when when they try to get in. I'm hoping that the noise will will scare them away since they don't know if someone is coming to check out the alarm or not. I do have neighbjors in the general area. I know that there is no perfect solution. We can only do so much to protect our property. In my 12 years down here I have only been broken into 1 time, but I didn't like it. I have noticed that the houses with bars on the windows and security screen doors seem to be left alone, while the easier houses to get into are gotten into.
    we'll see what happens this summer,
    Larry
  • niel

larry,
    ah yes, the window bars and security screen doors goes back to what i said about not making it easy for the thief and it seems to work in your area.
  • System2

Just my 2 cents worth, and since I didn't read all the replies this may have been said ~ but what work for me in an "Off the Grid" area, is a motion Camera as used for watching game animals at night. Most suspect cameras to be placed in trees or up high. I was having a similar issue when I was away on weekends. I placed the camera in some brush at "License Plate" Level. In 2 weeks time I had some hard evidence and authorities were able to catch them. Alarms are great, but like they say a picture is worth a thousand words!!

I just had a small 5 watt panel charging the battery during the day.

Just a thought!
  • niel

i like cameras myself and a few stealth cameras unknown to potential would-be thieves are great. i don't believe in warning placards or use of similar warnings of surveillance cameras as a deterrent for then they look for the cameras and the recording equipment and they'll just take it along with the rest of the booty. signs are more for the cheap at heart trying to scare them off, but when you actually have cameras i feel signs are a bad idea. some cams have built-in recorders as well as pir and their own power source.:D
    between other efforts to dis-wade theft, plus the use of hidden cams for those times those efforts fail is about the best one can do without breaking the law yourself or being there imho.
  • System2

Hello guy's.

I found this post during a google search and thought that I may be of some help with this off-grid security system dilemma. Recently I had an issue just like the original poster here did with someone breaking in to a cabin.

I did a hell'uvallata searching and came across a solar\gps security system that sends out email\text alerts, it also has anti tamper detection so if someone knows there is a security system and tries to remove it, it goes off any way.
    I noticed there are security motion sensors that are wireless so I put 2 inside the cabin itself in conjunction with magnetic window sensors. So far I haven't had an issue and hopefully I never do again, it was quite a bit of money to replace all of my tackle and a few hunting rifles.

Hope this link helps solve some of you're issues as it did mine, now I don't have to worry about my fishing and hunting stuff getting stolen.

solar security system I personally like the key chain remotes as apposed to the keypad entry, with all the passwords today it gets confusing!
  • Woodchick
    Woodchick Registered Users Posts: 1
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned (no time to read all of these fine answers!), but I have been working on a similar problem while remodeling my mini motorhome with 300w solar array, which I do plan on spending a lot of off-grid time with. There is only one company I have found so far that works with 12v off-grid systems- cabinalarm.com
    I have been working with this company to design a system to cover all of the doors, windows and exterior hatches against break-ins. They have been very helpful, and were willing to cobble together a custom kit for me at a very reasonable price (about $300).
    Up-sides of the system include ZERO draw on your battery bank until activated, no security fees, two high-decibel alarms (1 ea. interior and exterior) and a strobe to freak out your foes and alert the neighbors, and a fairly simple set-up. Down-side is a lot of wires to run, and no call-out to police... but then, honestly, how helpful is that really going to be with a remote cabin, rv or storage trailer?
    I haven't installed yet, but I do have high hopes for it given the service I have received so far. Hope this helped.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
     http://cabinalarm.com/      agreed....this was the go to company when I was searching for simple protection while under construction. It worked well for a couple years. The alarm could be heard over a mile away...perhaps I sprung for the more expensive external alarm? I can't remember for sure.

Now my shop is 8000 feet and requires more than a 12 volt cabin alarm. It is unfortunate that my recent experiences with high tech security have not gone well at all. A system may work on my laptop. Then mysteriously refuse to work on my smartphone. People will say "You should be able to get it to work". Well....what if I can't?

So many high tech problems so often that I have literally thrown in the towel. I suspect that utterly abysmal cell phone service has a lot to do with the problems. Latest security measure? A wolf/pit bull pup. He is a pooping machine whose "activities" can get expensive. Losing plenty of sleep with the "activities" of three dogs. Some is fun. Some is not.

Some people say that crooks are smart. I disagree. I think they are exceedingly lazy and completely free of any ethical boundaries. Make your place tougher than the next guy and 90% will hit the next guy.

In Norway, you are not supposed to lock your cabin. That is because someone may be stranded and need the shelter. Unlocked cabins in the USA will lose everything of value...including the doors and windows.

Why am I bitter? Been robbed dozens of times....big, medium, and small robberies. Rental units, unoccupied homes, mail boxes, relative that the government trained to locksmith....on and on. Empty homes are invitations to the criminal element.

Of interest....we are currently forfeiting more assets to cops than burglars via dubious civil asset forfeiture proceedings without benefit of trial. Burglars still take plenty. They tend to be unemployed and under educated...high school drop outs. Plus the drug addict thing.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017 #61
    @softdown  said, Norway, you are not supposed to lock your cabin. That is because someone may be stranded and need the shelter. Unlocked cabins in the USA will lose everything of value...including the doors and windows. 

Norway  is a civilized country, all education is free and people respect one another, that is what social society society is all about.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.