Options
13»

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017 #62
    Options
    "free" mmkay

Interesting how things often sort out. The best locations, in many respects, often have the worst people. Less enticing locations such as Norway or western Nebraska, for example, may have the best people.

Norway is "less enticing" because the winters are long, harsh, cold, and dark. Beautiful country. Great people....
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Coldfoot
    Coldfoot Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options
    I may have come up with a human solution unintentionally.  I have a remote cabin in bear country.  I do not access for months during the summer.

I have constructed a bear "fence".  It is mounted directly on the cabin, not a typical fence on the ground around the cabin.  A DC electric fence charger powered by my small solar/battery setup keeps current flowing.  I have a hidden switch to power on/ off the fence from outside.  This was all constructed to discourage not so uncommon bear break ins.

Checking my trail cams this fall, I saw two human trespassers walk up to the cabin and look at the obvious bear fence.  I can only assume their intentions were not good.  After a brief discussion they moved on.  

Not sure of the best way to install an electric fence for human security but it might be an option for you.