Non electric gas space heater??

icarus
icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
I have been charged with finding a completely non electric propane gas space heater for some folks. I have always used Empires in the past, (or Rinnais where I have power) but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with any other units. I have had problems with Empires in the past, both with gas valves that quit, or leak, as well as direct vents that blow out if they are subjected to much wind. This one will live in a quite windy location. Conventional "B" vent systems might be considered, but are not preferred for a number of reasons. Any thoughts from other off grid folks out there?

Once again, thanks for all the considered response,

Tony

PS I found one call a "Robur" They make a small one ~7kbtu that uses no power and vents (intake and exhaust) through a ~4" hole, 78% ef.http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/HeatingProducts/RoomHeaters/Robur/roburgaswallspaceheaterstech.asp

Comments

• solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    Re: Non electric gas space heater??
    icarus wrote: »
    I have been charged with finding a completely non electric propane gas space heater for some folks. I have always used Empires in the past, (or Rinnais where I have power) but I am wondering if anyone has any experience

Tony, what is the issue with power and the Rinnais? None of my Rinnais use power.

Rinnas have been very dependable, with the only issue being dust that gets into the ignition area, a vey simple clean and fix.
  • icarus

The only Rinnais that I am familiar with are the fan forced direct vent units. (The non-vented units are NOT acceptable). I don't know of a Vented Rinnai that uses no power. Perhaps I will do a bit of a search.

Tony

PS I can't seem to find any that both vent and use no power.

T
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Tony try these guys for eskabe heaters

The main contact in Canada is Hank Vodarek at H.A.S. Enterprises in BC. His number is 250-497-5332. One dealer is Gemco in Alberta. Here is their contact info:
    http://www.profilecanada.com/companydetail.cfm?company=180652_Gemco_Fireplaces_Ltd_AB

Original Message
    Subject: vented heater dealers
    Date: Thu, October 29, 2009 10:11 am
    To: info@eskabeusa.com

do you have a Canadian web site and/or Canadian dealers, distributors?

thanks
    Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • icarus

Eric,

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it. (As I suggested off line) these still vent through a huge 7" hole like the Empires. They do have a modulating gas valve like the Rinnais however. They also make a bigger (no power) unit than Robur.
  • hermit
    hermit Solar Expert Posts: 25

try williams heaters. i just bought a 30k btu, propane, gravity circulation, microvolt thermostat. direct vent, wall mount, no power required. have not hooked it up yet. cost was $900 canadian retails approx $1300.
  • icarus

The problem with the Empires, the Williams, the Cozys is that they have a huge intake/exhaust hole through the wall. The problem that I have had with these type of heaters in the past is their tendency have their pilot lights blow out in high wind situations. They also can be very difficult to light in the wind as the draft can be REAL strong.

The particular installation that I am looking at has very significant wind loading and I am concerned that I will be repeating the problems I have had in the past with other units.

The Robur unit vents through a very small hole ~2" like the Rinnais, but the unit is too small for my apllication (~7k btu) The high ef Williams (non electric) units are also too small.

The eskabe units are nice because they have modulating gas valves like the Rinnais with I see as an advantage but they also vent through a 7" hole and I am worried about the wind.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep them coming. Life would be easier if there were power, then it would be a Rinnai.

Tony
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I am wondering about this same issue... would it be possible to power a rinnai with 12V?
  • icarus

The Rinnais cannot be made to run off of 12vdc except through an inverter. I believe it was Eric (westbranch) who had an e-mail conversation with Rinnai and they don't make any 12vdc models. Too bad! I think the issue is that the control boards use a number of different voltages for different functions.

Running one on a Pure sine wave inverter would be no problem, and fairly efficient.

Tony
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

yup, in the neigbourhood of 60 W on AC

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »
    yup, in the neigbourhood of 60 W on AC

Remember it's typically coldest just before dawn, ie if you are normally idling your inverter add the draw of the inverter.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.