Know how to fix this hydraulic connection?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭
Hose blew off on 55' bucket truck. Must be fixed where it is. Bucket is up and out.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    Options

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Options
    Take the line off and have a new one made. Locally I would go to Mechanic's Bliss but that's not going to help you.
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023 #4
    Options
    My answer is the same as Steve's. Pull the hose and have one made. Even rural areas have someone who does this because of all of the equipment using hydraulics. In my experience, the pressure is too high to perform a field patch-up without hose-making tools.
    By the way: That's a nice rig!
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Miller_Ranch
    Miller_Ranch Registered Users Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Options
    Napa makes custom hydraulic hoses.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quite often shops that service lift trucks will do hose work, and/or farm equipment dealer/shops.
  • JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Can you not use a field repair connector to just get the thing back down if you have some slack? (for a field replacement) I don't see any steel braiding. Is this just a return or low pressure bleed off line? It's kind of small diameter for the size of cylinders on that boom.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is that thing still up in the air?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Options
    Is that thing still up in the air?
    If it is still up there, there,  is a great opportunity to place a Grinch inflatable Christmas decoration.
  • JRHill
    edited December 2023 #10
    Options
    Oops - thought it was a new thread. That's funny. So how did it get fixed?
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • SumPower
    SumPower Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Options
    Guess we don't know if it got fixed, so the answer to that is still up in the air.

But the Grinch Christmas decoration  while up there made me laugh!
  • JRHill
    Options
    Hopefully Softdown isn't still in the bucket. Someone one the ground sent him the pictures and left?
  • softdown
    Options
    Fixed it but the replacement hose was only rated 2250psi. That blew up after a week. Fixed it again. 

Terrible but could have been worse. Imagine being 55' up when the hydraulics blow out 
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    softdown said:
    Fixed it but the replacement hose was only rated 2250psi. That blew up after a week. Fixed it again. 

Terrible but could have been worse. Imagine being 55' up when the hydraulics blow out 
    I believe those two way hydraulics are designed so that they have to be pumped up AND pumped down.  Safety feature.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown
    Options
    softdown said:

I believe those two way hydraulics are designed so that they have to be pumped up AND pumped down.  Safety feature.

Nothing works at all when a hose blows or engine dies. Pretty dangerous really. 

Bucket truck work is not the safest thing in the world.