closed MC4

Options
ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
edited October 2022 in General Solar Power Topics #1
I have a couple panels with MC4 connectors  but where the tongs clip in to the female  is covered on the sides so you cant use the regular tool to undo them...you can use 2 small screwdrivers together....but..
what is the story on those?

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some MC-4's have squeezable tabs. Maybe?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Years ago, the NEC/UL/NRTL had implemented a requirement that "tools" (screwdriver, wrench, or keys) are required to "access" dangerous electrical circuits (over ~12 to 60 Volt circuits, over 60 volts is definitely "unsafe" for untrained people). So the modern MC4 connector (and the variants) required tools to take apart to prevent children and untrained folks from electrocuting themselves...

The MC4 Tool"

https://www.solar-electric.com/ditoformc4co.html

Was this your question?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ws9876
    ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The MC4 on Canadian Solar panels,315 watt are definitely different. I have 5 of those tools but CS uses a slightly different size
    and design. Its bigger.So I took the Dremel and cut off the blocking tabs and that worked ok.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Might check your solar panel specs.
    Lots of similar to MC4 connectors.
    Amphenol H4 connectors

Amphenol Helios Solar H4 PV Connectors

T4 connectors I think used on some Canadian solar panels;
    Tlian T4-PC-1 Connector 1500V for Canadian Solar modules - Pair male and  female - TEnergise
    I think Tyco made their own version of solar connector too.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset