Midea U Inverter Window Air Conditioner

Raj174
Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
Tagged:

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Says in stock for all of them. Perhaps the supply issue has been resolved.

With free shipping, and Amazon's return policy, looks like as good a deal as the preordering.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    That's kind of cool!

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Raj174
    Yep, it's an inverter mini split with a higher efficiency than the LG models. Just gotta figure out a way to convince the wife that we need one.
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Photowhit
    I had heard about these coming, but this wasn't the design I thought was coming, I happened across this unit, this is what I thought we would get;

Soleus Air Exclusive 8000 BTU Energy Star First Ever Over The Sill Air Conditioner Putting it in a Class of its Own for Safety and Whisper Quiet Along with Keeping Your Window View

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085P28D2S
  • mountainman
    mountainman Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭
    edited July 2020 #6
    My frigidaire 10000 bedroom ac is 15 years old and  still working.
    But it's so noisy makes it hard to sleep.

I went to Amazon $400 for a 10000 btu midea u that sits up and $529 for a $8000 that hangs down.
    So I'm looking at the 10 btu I can deal with a little window blockage 
    shipping is 1 to 2 months.
    Where are these manufactured?
    They must be made to order.

Summer will be about over by then.
    Maybe the price will come down next year.
    2kw array 6 345 q cells  make sky blue 60 cc
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
    18 amp accusense charger. 3650 champion 
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep summer is not the time to buy cooling ;)  The midea U  looks harder to install unless you have an up/down window. Most homes do not. The unit I use for clients who want a back-up to a full blown mini-split is LG. They are made in South Korea from one of the largest corporations in the world.
    Right now there are major supply problems and the units below are out of stock. If you want quiet, these are proven and will be there for warranty. If they would only have the heating reverse cycle and a bit better efficiency the split units would be hard hit. They are not hard to build into the wall and get a professional look, and save the window for looking out.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-LW1019IVSM-Inverter-Conditioner-Control/dp/B07V48X7HG
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now there are major supply problems ........
    I was just at Harbor Freight, and the shelves are barely half full.  I was there looking for some good sized cardboard boxes !
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    It is really weird right now. Over 3 months into C19 and you still can't get a combo pizza at Costco. Cheese or pepperoni pizza no problem.

• Photowhit
    Yep summer is not the time to buy cooling ;) 
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ----------TRUTH-------------

The midea U  looks harder to install unless you have an up/down window. Most homes do not. 
    Most homes have up and down windows as far as I know. Guess you do deal with high end types, but not a lot of sliders around here. I watched the video and I think the platform it comes with will make it easier than most of the window unit's I've installed. I do woor about the gap between the window and AC becoming a catchall inside and out.
    The midea U  looks harder to install unless you have an up/down window. Most homes do not. The unit I use for clients who want a back-up to a full blown mini-split is LG. They are made in South Korea from one of the largest corporations in the world.
    FWIW - Midea is about 1/25th the size of LG(by Mkt cap), but since LG is a 11Trillion dollar company, it isn't a small company. 

It is really weird right now. Over 3 months into C19 and you still can't get a combo pizza at Costco. Cheese or pepperoni pizza no problem.
    Aldi's self rising is the same way...
    Cheese, Pepperoni, 3 meat, but no Supreme's...
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    The 5 year-old LG 10K BTU window A/C here,  was made in China.   It has been a good performer,   FWIW.   
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • mountainman
    All my windows slide up and down 
    Its got to be easier to install in the window. Compared to cutting a hole in the wall.
    when it needs replacement I wonder if I could get the same size or would I have to alter my hole in the wall?
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
  • Dave Angelini
    edited July 2020 #13
    I think you are right, up and down is what this one is made for. I doubt this would be a good one to cut in the wall for. The LG is and looks good built-in. It is a standard window type unit as far as in the wall. The LG is also not made in China.

It would be good if all that is said about this unit, there was someone here who has bought one and is using it. There are alot of quirks to window types as far as making weird noise when one is trying to sleep. Some of the problems I have heard, the fan will stop and wake me up, I can hear it gurgling, etc. I know the LG does not do any of this. Along with the major makes of mini-splits, they are hard to know if they are on.

• tam1904
    tam1904 Registered Users Posts: 2
    I am a Distributor that sells B2B mostly to the Caribbean and Latin America from Miami. A client of mine (installer) in the Caribbean wants to buy 3 units of a 9,000 BTU mini-split (wall mounted) for his office, DC direct with batteries. I was looking at the LG model posted above and it seems like a nice unit if it can be wall-mounted but my client can also look on Amazon and buy it there directly so I was wondering if anyone knows of a good Distributor for them (or another reliable and affordable brand) that could give us Distributor pricing so we can make some profit.This installer has many connections on the island so even though the initial purchase volume is not high, subsequent purchases would be higher. Thanks to anyone who can give me any suggestions on this.
  • mountainman
    edited July 2020 #15
    A lg 9500 450 sq ft cooling none available.
    A lg 14000 is in stock at home depot $549  800 sqft cooling.

Maybe a better choice.
    As the bedroom is large 500 sq ft with 10 ceilings and on the sw side with my 10000 btu temps rise to ~75 in the afternoons 
    Any opinions on using a larger 14000 unit  Opposed to a 9500.

6 230ah GC @36 volts 
  • Dave Angelini
    For grid power there will be little difference in  energy cost and just faster to cool down with the larger unit.

For offgrid it can be a major mistake to use a large unit. The smaller one will allow a lower running average power that will make it easier to run off your existing battery at night. Since the unit can be powered all day to get the room nice and comfortable, the night use, if needed, can really be pretty low power. Night use does depend on the home size, insulation value, where you live, battery size, and programmed temperature.

• Dave Angelini
    Does not surprise me Sarah. Hard to beat a company like LG. Too much experience doing things right most of the time.
    The reason the dual unit splits are still the best is one can use them to heat also. It has cut our firewood down by 2/3.

Someday, and soon, an all in one will have the reverse cycle and be able to heat.

• Raj174
    edited December 2020 #18
    @SarahSimm
    I wouldn't take that review very seriously. Who ever did the review appears to be rather uninformed. There is no doubt that the LG 10,000 and 14,000 BTU inverter A/Cs have a great reputation for quality. I would have bought one, but the Media 12,000 BTU inverter A/C was about 100 dollars cheaper so I bought one.

I have to say that it works amazingly well. I have seen it blowing cool air drawing less than 2 amps. It's also very quiet and I would recommend it along with the LG.
  • Photowhit
    SarahSimm said:
    I might disappoint you guys, but this review tells Media are not so great
    So I stand in camp LG 
    They pick a roll around air conditioner for their first pick and 3 of their 5...
    They certainly don't know or care a bit about efficiencies.
    Does just look like an older Media promotion piece. Doesn't cover the air conditioners we've discussed.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited January 2021 #20
    Yea--Very tempted to delete as spam for a review site... See what happens.

-Bill
    PS post deleted.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Revisiting this unit from Midea with an actual review from me.  We bought one for our house in Nevada and it has turned out to be a very positive experience. Thank-you Photowit for posting it here. I would have bought the LG version but it was hard to get last month.

It was a bit of a challenge to install, but all 3 of these units are the same dimensions except for depth. They are 19.25" wide X 12.5" in height.

The depth is what changes for the 8K, 10K, and 12KBTU units. The install manual is wrong about the minimum window size being 24" or so wide. They will fit into the dimensions I noted for a simple hole in the wall installation. There is not a  "U" window here. The wall hole is much better in my opinion anyway.

The 10KBTU is or was at Costco for $329 last month. The comparison with quality mini splits is the indoor noise is a bit worse but not really noticeable. The unit does the variable speed soft start that a split does. The outdoor noise is definitely not as good especially at full output. There is no sound change when the compressor changes speed.  Not really bad at all at 1/5th the price and the Costco warranty is the gold standard.  Amazon reviews were very helpful for my install.

The power on a Kwatt meter is between 200 watts and 800 watts. The energy star rating is 35% better than a standard cycling compressor type. It cools really fast and we like the results. This week the west is in a heat wave and this was good timing for us. It has all the controls on the unit, a remote, and a S phone app for Alexa voice or remote on off and all the controls. 

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited July 2022 #22
    Yep, got one from Costco a few weeks ago,. 10k unit.
    Was a bit confusing to install (we have vinyl widows), but did install with no cutting off the window frame. Just a couple small screw holes for the support frame.
    One issue for some folks. No outdoor air venting. If you need fresh air, open another window or door.
    Using in a "hot" bedroom with some insulation and double pane windows. Works fine.
    Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Good input guys. Thanks!
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Dave Angelini
    The other thing that is nice about the Midea and also the LG version all in one, is that the indoor portion is plastic and does not transfer the metal outdoor portion into the house. Nice for just leaving it up all year and not being concerned about cold sinking into the house. I did mine thru a wall and that is where it will stay.

Would be really nice if there was a make/model that could reverse cycle for heating like the mini-splits do.  B)

• Marc Kurth
    Details are hard to find quickly, but I am curious what kind of Kw/ton these units pull on a hot day?
  • Dave Angelini
    It really is going to vary from installation, location in the country, and size of room/programmed temp.

You could dumb it down though,  ;) and if you were set on high fan speed, and programmed a temp of 72, and had 95+ outside,
    Midea 10KBTU is going to consume about 800 watts per hour unless it hits 72 in the room.

• Marc Kurth
    Thanks Dave. I was guessing it would be in the neighborhood of 1kW/Ton at nominal full load operation. I have a customer who uses one in a back bedroom for latent extraction for the whole house during the summer, down on the Third Coast. He really likes it.