New on this forum

KennethWilson
KennethWilson Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2
I have just joined the forum but would welcome help to find the right/specific forum for wind turbines.
I have a regular PV off grid system running but want help in adding a wind turbine.
Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Welcome to the forum Kenneth,

I am not very strict about which forum to post in... There is the Off Grid & Battery forum, and there is a Wind Turbine forum.

More or less, if your post/thread focus is on wind turbines--Pick the WT forum. If it more towards the "whole off grid system integration/operation" question--Then the OG and Battery forum.

Threads can wander too... Don't sweat it.

Either way--We will do our best to help.

-Bill "moderator" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • KennethWilson
    KennethWilson Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2
    Thanks Bill
  • dickie
    dickie Registered Users Posts: 1
    Will a 1200 watt system charge 1040 ah batteries 
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fieldlines.com: The Otherpower discussion board     This might be a helpful place to look

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    dickie said:
    Yes it will. Recommended array size would be larger, but I successfully charged a 660A-hr battery (at 24 volts) with 400 watts of panels. Keep in mind that you are limited in the amount of power you can extract from the battery with this system.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dickie said:
    Much more complex question than perhaps you think.

Most of the US is poor for small wind, in most of Scotland I would say yes, in most of the US, I'd say no. In most of the US the wind isn't reliable enough in a range usable to do much. A turbine rated at 1200 watts , might be ratted at 1200 watts at 22knots (just over 25 mph)  So production will be less and often near 0 in most of the country.

Even in places where there are often considerable wind, it's not consistent enough not to have an equal amount of backup energy source, solar or generator.

Global Wind Atlas

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry just noticed you meant a wind turbine not solar array. 1220 watts of wind will charge your battery, but tower height and average wind velocity are major variables.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.