Outback FlexPowerOne quits - horrible timing.

Options
2»

Comments

• JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    Options
    softdown said:
    Will the new Outback VFX3648 take care of cell balancing? I currently don't see how it could.

The SimpliPhi batteries have an internal BMS. Everything happens inside the battery block - there is no external communication.

For lithiums the low and high voltage cutouts are critical. This where the newer VFXR was important to me as it has a broader range of programmable voltage set points that accommodate lithium storage that the older model VFX doesn't. (there are other enhancements that are external to this subject.)

BTW, this another case where the relationship between the generator and the battery charging cycle is wonderful. When the charge cycle begins the generator runs at the load needed to charge and run internal loads. Then the batteries hit the target voltage the cycle is done, the charge ends and you're finished. No more extended runs at little load trying to push an absorb charge into the batteries. This is also why I bit the bullet and purchased the 4th PHI. During generator season I only want one generator cold start and warm-up per day.

Lastly, until you experience it you won't believe how efficient the charge and discharge cycles are compared to lead. The conversion rate from the battery's chemistry to power and then back again makes for shorter generator run times and more time in between. More fuel savings.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^That all leads me to think I probably should get a BMS for both batteries but at least 50% chance that I can do alright without the BMS on both.

This is a big issue right here. When I have money I am very busy investing it - I usually get some of that money back. When I don't have money then I have time to ponder solar etc but lack the funding for "sound ideas that are likely not critical".
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hey softdown,
    Sorry to hear about the inverter troubles. I remember your thread from a year ago. In hindsight, you Kinda anticipated this moment.
    https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/412275#Comment_412275
    The back up outback inverter that I got, the GFX1448E, would not have been the right choice for your system, but a VFX era model inverter likely would be helpful to you now. I tried briefly searching for them, without luck. 
    I’m wondering if these are ever sold secondhand? 
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    Options
    softdown said:
    ^^^That all leads me to think I probably should get a BMS for both batteries but at least 50% chance that I can do alright without the BMS on both.
    Just want to reiterate that some lithium batteries have an internal BMS. The BMS should cover for over/under voltage events but it should not be substitute for proper programming from the charging source.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These do not have an internal BMS. They are "new/old stock made for the Fiscar electric car as I recall.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries