MidNite Solar DIY Series

GaRay
GaRay Registered Users Posts: 1
Anyone used one of the new "all in one" devices where the charge controller, inverter and 120 volt DC charger is one unit? MidNite Solar now makes several of these devices, available at NAWS, as do several other unknown companies. Remember when we purchased separate components for HiFi stereo reproduction then manufactures combined the components... 8 track, cassette and turntable all in one! The quality suffered, IMO.  Is that the case with the new solar "all in one"?

Thanks for your comments!

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 #2
    Here is a video from MidNite on the DIY product line:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8olwtxjBsvo

Here is a video on the new MN DIY DIY 60 A MPPT CC:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IsfN6S1xoM

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Mike_in_PA
    Mike_in_PA Registered Users Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Does anyone know if the MN3024DIY (and similar) are transformer based?  TIA 
    48 GEPV-110, 2 SMA 2500U, 7 AE32s since 2004 
  • Vic
    The entire DIY line of inverters,   appear to be High Frequency designs.   Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Mike_in_PA
    Mike_in_PA Registered Users Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Thanks.  I could not find a weight for the items. 
    48 GEPV-110, 2 SMA 2500U, 7 AE32s since 2004 
  • Vic
    Hi Mike,

If the weight still matters to you:

DIY 3024 weighs 17 Lbs
    DIY 3548 weighs 24 Lbs

You are correct that the power out vs weight is a very good indicator Low vs High Frequency conversion design.

Vic
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprisingly inexpensive for Midnite products.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• mahendra
    mahendra Solar Expert Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    Yes price seems good. But these units have a scarey resemblance to the Renogy and Powmr which are unreliable chinese brands. I hope its not not the same unit with the midnite name slapped on. 
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 #9
    Yeah, over on another forum, there's been some pretty certain ident that these are rebranded Chinese items. Kinda sad, but maybe it's OK if Midnite backs them up. 
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 #10
    Yes, MidNite offers support for these Chinese inverters and controllers.  They are not Renogy or Powmr.

China is getting too good at this stuff and with support, it can help a lot of DIY'ers to get into renewables.

The next group of these will be ETL listed.

• mahendra
    Well that's a bit comforting to know

• boB
    Even a Sol-Ark is a Chinese inverter with their name on it   :)  (Deye)
  • mahendra
    Yes .Another post indicated the same Deye.has good reviews in austrialia
  • MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 #14
    One of the statements Midnight makes about the unit is that it has "excellent surge capacity".  I've gone through the whole manual and find no reference to what that capacity is?  Is it 200% for 5 seconds, or 200% for 16 milli-seconds?  I'm more inclined to believe it's 16 ms?
    They do mention that the unit can start a "2hp loaded motor", but they in no way indicate what that starting surge is?
    I'm guessing that this unit would be a good choice for powering a garage or other secondary structure, but not where you'd be expecting to run motor-driven power tools, compressors, ect.  That would need a stout low-frequency inverter like a Radian or Conext/XW.  Will be OK powering a cabin where you just need cold beer to watch TV.
    System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • boB
    MichaelK said:
    One of the statements Midnight makes about the unit is that it has "excellent surge capacity".  I've gone through the whole manual and find no reference to what that capacity is?  Is it 200% for 5 seconds, or 200% for 16 milli-seconds?  I'm more inclined to believe it's 16 ms?

I haven't seen this.   Do you remember where you saw/heard this ?

I do know that the new MidNite inverters are surging like crazy in house  though !

• MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 #16
    boB said:
    I haven't seen this.   Do you remember where you saw/heard this ?

I do know that the new MidNite inverters are surging like crazy in house  though !

It's in the brochure.  If you click on the link above, two sub links down the page are the product brochure, and the product manual.

Tried to do a cut and snip, but it didn't show up in the response.

System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • mahendra
    Well I have been pretty skeptical of Midnite's DIY stuff and a matter of fact all of the new Chinese inverter ,but I must say that there are several brands such a growwatt,phocos, deye etc that are high frequency but matches the surge performance of low frequency inverters. 
    It's just technology improvements real
  • boB
    Yes, China is getting WAY too good at this stuff !   They still miss the boat on some aspects though and the US, Germany, etc will still have their place.  At least I hope so !

• Saggys
    Saggys Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    Will Midnite Solar have a prewired e-panel available for the DIY line?
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saggys said:
    Will Midnite Solar have a prewired e-panel available for the DIY line?
    I think much of it is integrated into the Unit, As it contains charge controller, transfer switch, you might be better off wiring a small box for a big inverter breaker and a PV input breaker. 
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Saggys
    AC output and generator bypass would be nice also. That could also be done externally. Sure would keep the footprint small with an e-panel.
  • mahendra
    Formxwhat Midnite is saying on their forum ,they will .
  • Saggys
    mahendra could you provide a link? I could not find any talk of an e-panel getting developed for the DIY series.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Here is one thread:

http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=5190.0

And a neat trick for Google/duck duck/bing/etc. search engines. The "site:" tag to limit searches to a specific website/address:

site:midniteftp.com/forum/ diy epanel

Results using Duck Duck:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site:midniteftp.com/forum/+diy+epanel&ia=web

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Saggys
    Thanks Bill!
  • Saggys
    The DIY series inverters do not have a high enough absorb voltage setting to accommodate all battery chemistries such as NIFE. I would think adding a few more volts in the software wouldn't be all that hard?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saggys said:
    The DIY series inverters do not have a high enough absorb voltage setting to accommodate all battery chemistries such as NIFE. I would think adding a few more volts in the software wouldn't be all that hard?
    My XW inverter does not have high enough voltage, but with NiFe, I don't have to fully charge them, my PV controllers can get them all the way full when the sun eventually returns
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saggys said:
    It requires better internal equipment too handle larger voltage ranges. I suspect making it inexpensively requires/necessitates the minimal range. I understand Most inverters can't handle the wide range due too the inefficient charging nature of NiFe batteries. At around 65%  efficiency, I always recommend people avoid them for solar electric systems. I think only Magnum and some Schneider inverters have the range for NiFe.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Saggys
    My old Trace PS series will do up to 33 volts input which should safely get me 32.4 v on the charge controller, at least I hope it will, should know shortly.
  • Vic
    edited August 2021 #30
    Here is a quick (six minute) video,  by Halfcrazy Ryan,  demoing the MN3548DIY inverter,  powering his home:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOPnHyDAjcc

Vic
  • Saggys
    Thanks Vic, nice video.