Keep Or Sell Outback Power FX2524MT?

Options
TucsonAZ
TucsonAZ Solar Expert Posts: 139 ✭✭
I'm thinking of selling the Outback in favor of a hybrid inverter since the Outback seems geared toward Lead Acid batteries which I will never end up running again.  My thinking is it's a quality item but the battery tech is going to eventually phase out so for what I can sell it for I can likely find something that's a better fit for my needs.  I also think I would move up to a 48V system from here on out even in my mobile applications.  What are your thoughts on some of these Trace and Outback units that have no room for use with Lithium battery banks.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most current inverter chargers are primarily tailored to lead acid, however using custom settings it is possible to configure to using other chemistries, the crux of the matter is moving to another nominal voltage, something which your current inverter is not capable of.

The decision is personal, given the opportunity to move to 48V is something I personally wouldn't hesitate at, provided I could recoup some residual value from the equipment I currently have, it's a dilemma, sacrifice a working system for the sake of change, or wait for failure to make the decision for you. 

We all know the paradox, waiting for failure is eternal, depending on success is destined to failure, only the beholder can make,the decision, if it won't make or break you,, go with what would be the best, for you, if the current equipment has served the majority of its life expectancy, ten years perhaps, it owes you nothing, any residual value is a bonus, make decisions based on what is in your best personal interest, others can't really make the decision for you, at least that's how I see things, others may differ.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Earlier this year I upgraded my VFX3648 to a VFXR. As McGivor mentioned I had 10+ years from it. It had developed a small problem with the AGS but otherwise worked perfectly fine.

The older OB stuff is indeed tailored around lead batteries. The newer stuff is much more flexible for programming to accommodate lithium which I had put in place last fall. The programming for lithium was really only complicated by the fact that I was so entrenched in LA batteries that it took a while to finally believe that lithiums really are as cool as spoken of and not just advertising.

One OB device which is completely stuck in the LA world is the FNDC. But it to is workable except for some things which are hard programed like the SOC which shows up on the Mate3x Battery Status. It is something you have to get used to when seeing the low SOC RED LED come on and you just dipped below 60%. Its a non issue but I still wish it could be adjusted to the lithiums. I solved the problem by putting a piece of tape over the RED LED. 
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.