Car starter battery and AGM auxiliary battery in parallel

Options
Matty
Matty Registered Users Posts: 36 ✭✭
I would like to setup a dual battery system in my car to power 12V appliances while driving and also while stopped. My car has a temperature compensating alternator and an ignition relay which disconnects the starter battery when the ignition is switched off. An auto electrician advised me to simply connect my car starter battery and 120Ah AGM auxiliary battery in parallel and power the appliances from the auxiliary battery. The idea is that the auxiliary battery will maintain a high state of charge by receiving charge from the starter battery while the ignition is on and isolate the auxiliary from the starter battery when the ignition is switched off. I asked whether this type of alternator could cause the voltage to drop too low to keep the auxiliary battery at 100% state of charge and his opinion was that yes this is true but it would likely still reach 95% SOC which is acceptable for me. My question is related to whether this is good practice. There are differing opinions. Some say that it is fine to place a car starter battery and an AGM battery in parallel and others say batteries should only be connected in parallel if they are of the same type, age and capacity. I am wondering whether this setup is a good one or whether I should add a DC-DC charger between the car starter battery and auxiliary AGM battery.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a complicated subject which really needs thought, flooded  starting batteries and AGM deep cycle batteries have different requirements, particularly when it comes to charging voltage. AGM require a slightly lower charging voltage to prevent venting, whereas flooded starting batteries accept a higher voltage for a brief period after doing their primary task, supplying a brief high amperage load.

When connected in parallel each battery will experience both loads and charging they weren't specifically designed for, which is a recipe for disaster, in my opinion. Keeping them seperate doing their intended purpose is the best advice I can offer.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Matty
    Options
    mcgivor said:
    This is a complicated subject which really needs thought, flooded  starting batteries and AGM deep cycle batteries have different requirements, particularly when it comes to charging voltage. AGM require a slightly lower charging voltage to prevent venting, whereas flooded starting batteries accept a higher voltage for a brief period after doing their primary task, supplying a brief high amperage load.

When connected in parallel each battery will experience both loads and charging they weren't specifically designed for, which is a recipe for disaster, in my opinion. Keeping them seperate doing their intended purpose is the best advice I can offer.
    Is adding a DC-DC charger a potential solution to the problems that may be caused by having the car starter battery and AGM auxiliary battery connected directly in parallel?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A DC-DC charger must be configurable for your auxiliary battery style  ( AGM )
      it will also have some losses, figure about 15% loss, so if you are charging 15A, you are consuming 17.25A from the vehicle

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Matty. It’s a simple process if you use a battery isolator like this: https://hellroaring.com/

I’ve put these in both my pickup trucks, including a 2018 F150 that is loaded with electronics. 

The isolators are solid state and made in the USA by Hellroaring. They will field phone calls to walk you through the process. 

It will take you less than a day to install. The hardest part is deciding where to put the sux battery. 
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • Matty
    Options
    Matty. It’s a simple process if you use a battery isolator like this: https://hellroaring.com/

I’ve put these in both my pickup trucks, including a 2018 F150 that is loaded with electronics. 

The isolators are solid state and made in the USA by Hellroaring. They will field phone calls to walk you through the process. 

It will take you less than a day to install. The hardest part is deciding where to put the sux battery. 
    I keep my auxiliary battery in the rear of my vehicle. When my ignition is switched off, the starter battery disconnects so it appears I already have an isolator installed.