tittiger: Problems with two Outback FM80s tied to one battery bank

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Using two flexmax 80s.

Comments

• tittiger
    tittiger Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited November 2020 #2
    Options
    It seems as if I am not the only one to attempt this.   I went to the Flexmax 8o page and  sadly not a darn thing to guide the purchaser in this matter that does not seem to be rare.

This thread did little else but confuse me.  No one went over to Outback and  got their advice and put it here..   If I can't get these to work it's going to cost me $1500 to fix the problem.   Lack of product  basic information on on the web site has cost me $$$$  multiple times and it's frustrating as hell.
    Is it too much to ask  to get good/complete info   on the products that we buy?

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tittiger said:
    It seems as if I am not the only one to attempt this.   I went to the Flexmax 8o page and  sadly not a darn thing to guide the purchaser in this matter that does not seem to be rare.

This thread did little else but confuse me.  No one went over to Outback and  got their advice and put it here..   If I can't get these to work it's going to cost me $1500 to fix the problem.   Lack of product  basic information on on the web site has cost me $$$$  multiple times and it's frustrating as hell.
    Is it too much to ask  to get good/complete  on the products that we buy?

Welcome to the forum

Perhaps you should start a new discussion explaining your particular issue, this will be more effective in getting responses than a 7 year old thread. There are many hear now who have experience with the Flexmax controllers that  may not have been members back then.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tittiger said:

Is it too much to ask  to get good/complete info   on the products that we buy?
    We are all responsible for learning about the equipment we purchase. You might find some more info by asking on the Outback Forum Here;
    https://forum.outbackpower.com/

Likely you aren't in such a bad position. Before the system voltage reaches close to the bulk/absorb point, both charge controllers should work properly. That's 80% full, then if one cut out, the batteries will start allowing less current to flow into them (assuming lead acid batteries).

Bill might split this off into it's own subject. Might make 1 reply so he knows it's not just a waste of time.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.