S550 new and not lasting

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fog said:
    So I’ve been running generator for 4 hours now and it’s still MPPT bulking. Outback says 59.0 volts. Do I just keep going until it starts to absorb?
    How much current is being sent to the battery bank? Has it started to be reduced? I guess you might have lost a cell, that would keep voltages a bit low. Might go ahead and take SG readings. See what is happening... (I did not think your night time voltage change was enough to indicate a dead cell, but perhaps...)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • fog
    fog Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Not sure what the heck is going on. Everything was perfect before I added water in May. It used to float everyday and absorb everyday. Since then it has only done that a hand full of times. I have actually removed an appliance and added other panel to try to help but it’s not working. I’ve had the genny going all day and it is still sitting at 59.1 MPPT bulk. I’ve added a pic of my settings. Also I have clicked rah panel string breaker individually and they all shoe the same drop of about 60v immediately. I’m going to do a SG test right now and I will post it. 
  • fog
    Ok my SG is not good. What do I do? Keep genny charging? Also what should I test on panels? 
  • fog
    Could my outback controller be failing somehow?
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020 #36
    Hi fog,

Thanks for the SGs and the screen shot of the OB CC,   but that is a screen that just shows the settings,  not the present status of Solar charging.

It would be nice if you knew the current that is going into the battery.   Perhaps the Inverter has such a reading.

Do you have a ComBox,  or similar doodad from Schneider that has such detail.   Assume that you do not have the OB FNDC + Mate gizmos that would show the battery current ...

Does your generator show the amount of power that it is delivering?

Do you have an AC,  or DC clamp-on Ammeter,   that could read currents?
    Are your AC (inverter) .loads minimal,   or,   what do you think that those loads might be?

Your batteries appear to really need as complete a charge that you can give them,   and then,   trying to EQ them.

Batteries that are essentially dead,   need tons of accumulated charge current to get them charged (as much as that is possible),   before the EQ.

It appears that there has been a real charging problem.  You might measure the voltage on the TERMINALS of each battery,   and then,  look for the voltage drop between each battery's terminal,  and the lug that attaches to that terminal (measuring this lut-to-terminal voltage should require switching to a lower voltage range,  like 2V,  vs 20 V,  for example).  This is looking for poor connections.

The OB FM-60 (assumed model number) has a main status screen that shows how much current is going to the battery buss from the PVs,  but not the total Net battery current,  without those two OB  accessories,  noted above.

More later.   Thanks for the info. Good Luck,  Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The combox, gateway, or SCP will only show generator charge current/battery dc current and not solar charge as it is not in the network.

Check your batt connections and do all in the previous post. Since you are doing this right now, just keep the gen running as long as you can to get the SG up. Feel the bat posts for heat that is higher than the rest.

This is getting late in the year for this but you have to get SG up and then do alot of EQ time.

If you are sure that the connections are good, and if you have good sun I would make sure that the controller is outputting 8 amps or less at absorb voltage. A clamp on meter may help you. This 8 amps is the sign that you have done a normal charge if the controller is toast.

Once you get a normal charge you are going to have to start a corrective EQ.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Photowhit
    edited October 2020 #38
    fog said:
    Could my outback controller be failing somehow?
    It's possible, of course we haven't heard about your systems output of array or actual loads. That is frustrating...

So you have looked at your logs, what type of daily output from the charge controller are you getting? Look back to a sunny day and see what you are getting out of your system...

I don't know Conext system, but I trust Dave, if you don't have one of the devices to read the output to your system a DC clamp meter would be very nice to get some idea of what is happening.

I suspect something is wrong, and likely unknown. The reason I suggested checking the array output, and the daily use. If you find you've been producing 15-20 kWhs and regularly gets 2-3 kWhs on the ugly days, then I'd look to what loads are active on your system. If you are Not alone, you should ask the others in your household. Maybe some snuck in a desktop or window air conditioner while you weren't looking. Runs a potpourri in a mini crock pot 24/7. It could be that your fridge is or freezer is near dead. Do you turn off your computer over night? Used a laptop?

Over time loads grow, be sure to run down any loads running.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • fog
    I’m going to start checking ever connection today. The genny is running all day again. Can I do an equalize even if it does not float or absorb. When I went to bed last nite my voltage was at 51 and it was at 50.1 this morning. I will do another SG test today and post   
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Setting the charge controller at a slightly higher voltage value, say around 0.2V, than the inverter charger will allow the solar to contribute to the charging during the day should it be available, no point in wasting free energy. Looking at the graphic it would appear you have a way to go and no don't EQ before absorption is completed, or at very least until the current drops to near 2% of the battery Ah capacity  Having overnight loads will only prolong the process, two steps forward one back so to speak.

What capacity generator is being used and are you using 240V or 120V to charge, 1.1 kW seems on the low side, 30 A  would speed things up significantly.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited October 2020 #41
    If you still have problem, you need to find it. However, it looks like you are close to completing charge of 8 amps on your 15 amp combox screen. If you get to 8 amps then program an equalize. This will start the charge cycle over again. If you really did charge, it will take about a half an hour or so to start the EQ.

I can give you a work around for this to make it faster but I am hesitant because of this problem you may have. You are missing temperature data on the combox screen and that is another reason for you to be concerned. It is why I think I asked you to measure with your hands the terminals? Are they all the same feel?  Did you?    Where are you BTW please?

• fog
    I am in northern Ontario. They all felt cold. If temp outside is a factor it is always cold here. About 4 degrees Celsius 
  • fog
    the generator is an artic cat 7500 watt 30 amp. 
    Hooked up to 240 volts. 
    The inverter does randomly kicks off the generator sometimes but it comes back on. 
    I don’t have a temp sensor bc it’s always cold here minus a month in the summer. 
    I tested all the battery bank connections and all are good. 
    My SG has went up by about .25-.5 each cell from yesterday but still long ways to go it seems. I’m averaging about 12.5 now overall. 
  • fog
    The amps got to 8 so I started an equalize cycle. 
    I also unplugged fridge and freezer. 

• fog
    For some reason my inverter keeps kicking off the generator. Not sure if I need it at this point. However it’s not sunny out and the outback controller just went into snooze mode. What’s happening.? 
  • Photowhit
    edited October 2020 #46
    fog said:
    For some reason my inverter keeps kicking off the generator. Not sure if I need it at this point. However it’s not sunny out and the outback controller just went into snooze mode. What’s happening.? 
    It's likely sensing higher system voltage than it's settings and shutdown. When you went to equalizing, did the voltage and amps jump up? If the voltage hasn't reached absorb, the charge controller, in theory, isn't limiting the voltage, so I would assume you saw little change. The fact that the current(amps) has reduced without reaching the set absorb voltage is not a good sign.

If the voltage (and current) did increase then Perhaps the changes you made didn't make it into memory,

• Dave Angelini
    Sounds like your CSW is not configured correctly if it is dropping a good size genset with low AC loads. Did this ever work before? Widen the frequency and voltage to max on the AC input settings to CSW.

Too stop this there are quite a few ways.  The first would be to lower your CSW charger input to 20 amps. Maybe others can help you with outback mppt as I have to go take care of a few clients.

The temp feel was just to find an outlier on one of the batteries.

You have to get the SG higher and closer. Anything you can do to get above 62V to 64V for 4 hours will help. This may take a week but you are getting good results.

• Vic
    You will want,  and need the Battery Temp Sensor for the FM-60.   You can manually compensate the charge voltage,   for dool/cold batts,  by increasing  Absorb,  Float and EQ voltages,  by 0.12 Volts per degree C that the guessed battery temp is below 25 degrees C.

Not having the BTS,  can easily cause incomplete charging,   every day,   unless you actively manage the temp compensation (as shown in the Surrette Battery Manual.

Good Luck,   Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Photowhit
    If you were in absorb and saw the current reduced, I might well have done the same thing. 

Hang in there! recovery may take a while!

• fog
    Genny power aloud again. This is the screen now. Good? Or bad?
  • Vic
    Thans,  fog,  for the new screen shots.

Sure does look like the CSW is not taking much advantage or the power from the genset. As Dave mentioned before,   seems that the AC Charge current (whatever it is called),   needs to be increased quite a lot,   or other genset charging parameters.

FWIW, VIc
  • Photowhit
    Yeah, you haven't reached absorb yet, the battery isn't full so the voltage isn't 'running away'. Setting to Equalize isn't helping really, because the battery is limiting the voltage. Taking 2% is pretty ugly, it might be time to get Rolls involved ask them what they would suggest. I understand high voltage pulsed current is sometimes used to recover. I suspect, your battery is heavily sulfated, so the sulfates are covering the plates not allowing the passing of current. Equalizing helps in 2 ways, 1 is to return sulfates into solution, and the other is to simply aggressively get them to fall off (I've even heard of people bumping and banging their batteries!) Once they fall off they expose more area of the plate...

Equalizing, it's self, generally is done on a fully charged battery, hence no real reason, in a properly designed system, to remove loads.
    By raising the voltage you are 'tipping the scale' allowing/forcing the battery to take more current. It's a controlled over charging of the battery bank.

If you are having a sunny day, you might compare the flow of amps to the battery bank from the array and from the generator. It could save you a lot of gas and food.
  • Photowhit
    You might also leave your loads running and see if there is any change in the wattage going to the battery bank while the generator is running. I know there are some losses, but you have a large generator and only using 500 watts, so should be plenty to run loads and charge your battery bank.

A bit odd that it says 'Off' at your generator, yet shows wattage...

• Vic
    Photowhit said:
    Yeah, you haven't reached absorb yet, the battery isn't full so the voltage isn't 'running away'. Setting to Equalize isn't helping really, because the battery is limiting the voltage. Taking 2% is pretty ugly, it might be time to get Rolls involved ask them what they would suggest. I understand high voltage pulsed current is sometimes used to recover. I suspect, your battery is heavily sulfated, so the sulfates are covering the plates not allowing the passing of current. Equalizing helps in 2 ways, 1 is to return sulfates into solution, and the other is to simply aggressively get them to fall off (I've even heard of people bumping and banging their batteries!) Once they fall off they expose more area of the plate...

Equalizing, it's self, generally is done on a fully charged battery, hence no real reason, in a properly designed system, to remove loads.
    By raising the voltage you are 'tipping the scale' allowing/forcing the battery to take more current. It's a controlled over charging of the battery bank.

If you are having a sunny day, you might compare the flow of amps to the battery bank from the array and from the generator. It could save you a lot of gas and food.
    OK,  ...  whit,   but,  just trying to play a bit of a devilish advocate:

If one had a FLA bank that really needs a good Absorb,   and EQ (sulfated plates),  the battery would Accept a lot of current.   Have probably not dealt with too many battery banks that had Hard Sulfates,   but  just my experience is if the charge source can deliver a lot of  current,   and is able to reach the necessary voltage setpoint,   as the charging process progresses,   the battery will Accept a lot of current. This bank is either not Accepting,   or the charger is limiting the current.

I do not know the workings of the CSW's charger.   Perhaps it is still trying to Absorb.   Dave did mention,  that with Schneider inverters,   when the EQ is initiated,   that a new,   full Absorb needs to be done,   even if one had just been completed.  (this makes little sense to me for off-grid systems,  to me   ...  Schneider!).

The OB CC thinks that IT is in EQ,   but,   the CSW may not be.   Could not find the CSW charge state on the Combox image.

It would seem  that fog should review  the CSW Charger AC in/AC output settings,   and confirm that the CSW is in EQ,  not absorb.

And so on,  FWIW,  Vic
  • mcgivor
    @fog said 

The inverter does randomly kicks off the generator sometimes but it comes back on. 
    I don’t have a temp sensor bc it’s always cold here minus a month in the summer. 

The temperature sensor will not only compensate by reducing charging voltage when above 25°C but will also increase the voltage when below. At 4°C the compensated value would be ~2.4V above the setpoint, not using the sensor will result in undercharging, this is applicable to both the inverter charger and the charge controller. During EQ if the setpoint is at 62V, the compensated target would be 64.4V, to reach that the current will increase, this may explain part of your problem, but it would appear you have multiple problems.

Diagnosis with only partial information is virtually impossible, would it be possible to post all the charging settings of both the Outback and Schneider?  Regards the generator being rejected do you have the neutral connected or just L1 and L2 ? Is the generator grounded? In the meantime hook up the remote temperature sensors.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Dave Angelini
    The combox screen in post #50 is exactly what you would see if the genset is not qualified or off/disconnected. The phantom 439 watts is from the solar. Even though it is not networked to a schneider mppt, there is a Hall sensor that shows 439 watts. It is coming in from somewhere, like the FM 60. Genset is where Schneider shows unknown power to not confuse people if there were a Schneider mppt and its Hall sensors in the network.

If the OP had a fully networked system he could see the screens below. One shows a good day and a 3 hour absorb and a 1 hour EQ were done form solar.  The second is a day with clouds and charge really never was complete.

For many here this is overkill as they know this stuff. For a new person it can really help with the concepts to see the picture of what you are doing.

It is called Battery summary screen on your combox Fog. Keep going with what you are doing and get us some SG readings after you charge tomorrow.

• Photowhit
    edited October 2020 #57
    The combox screen in post #50 is exactly what you would see if the genset is not qualified or off/disconnected. The phantom 439 watts is from the solar. Even though it is not networked to a schneider mppt, there is a Hall sensor that shows 439 watts. It is coming in from somewhere, like the FM 60. Genset is where Schneider shows unknown power to not confuse people if there were a Schneider mppt and its Hall sensors in the network.
    Thanks Dave, That makes perfect sense and explains the earlier reading with it also stating 'off'

Assuming it was earlier in the day.

Glad you are around!

For 'fog's benefit, Dave has installed 100+ systems and often uses Schneider equipment. So he really hasn't had any contribution from the generator so long as the Combox says 'off'.  So he needs to get the generator and 'qualified' with the conext inverter? Cool...

Vic said:
    If one had a FLA bank that really needs a good Absorb,   and EQ (sulfated plates),  the battery would Accept a lot of current.   Have probably not dealt with too many battery banks that had Hard Sulfates,   but  just my experience is if the charge source can deliver a lot of  current,   and is able to reach the necessary voltage setpoint,   as the charging process progresses,   the battery will Accept a lot of current. This bank is either not Accepting,   or the charger is limiting the current.

I do not know the workings of the CSW's charger.   Perhaps it is still trying to Absorb.   Dave did mention,  that with Schneider inverters,   when the EQ is initiated,   that a new,   full Absorb needs to be done,   even if one had just been completed.  (this makes little sense to me for off-grid systems,  to me   ...  Schneider!).

The OB CC thinks that IT is in EQ,   but,   the CSW may not be.   Could not find the CSW charge state on the Combox image.
    Likely me making bad assumptions based on reduced charging current...

Glad we have experienced people to put me in my place!
    So info on qualifying a generator for Conext inverters...

Maybe this will help;

https://youtu.be/3Vw69cwditI

Hope this helps, I don't use suplimental power, so the ignorance comes naturally! The video, just uses the LEDS, more info with the ComBox
  • mcgivor
    edited October 2020 #58
    The generator on indication on system performance display being off may not be a true indication, if memory serves me correctly it displays off on mine when I'm absolutely sure it is running and charging. The status may be controlled by the AGS so if not installed in the system it will display off at all times.

Disclaimer I'm not 100%sure this is the case but will fire up the generator today and confirm, we have had 5 days of overcast which is rare here........Edit....OK just fired up the generator it's charging see display, generator off. The temperature 32°C is not the battery temperature but rather the CC  heatsink used to control an auxillary cooling fan as temperature compensation is not required with Lifepo4. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Thanks Photowit !
    There are other devices also that play into what is shown in the combox gen display also. It is not a blanket statement that this means this and that means that. For instance, if there is an AGS device in the system, it will play into the time, on/off, etc. The network can do things based on programming or having incorrect time of day in system. The internet also can play in. Complexity has its downsides.

To be fair to you, there is a ton of info that is missing from the OP!  He will only get good responses base on how much time he puts into describing the issues. I would recommend he go back thru the posts and summarize one response with all of the data in one place. 

Nice to not need a genset. I smile all of the time on that one B)

• fog
    Now it’s saying charges which I’ve never seen before ever
  • fog
    Ok so I was able to get the batteries back up and staying 50 overnight by charging with the genny for about 3 days straight. My SG is up a bit. Around 12.3 which is better than it was. The problem now is it doesn’t seem to want to absorb. Yesterday is floated for 7 hrs and absorbed for 11 minutes. Today no float or absorb but it is cloudy. When I run my genny now it says CHARGED on the outback CC. This I haven’t seen for the whole 2 years I’ve had it. Does anybody know the entire settings for the context SW 4048 and the outback FM 60 together? Videos have such discrepancies that it’s unreliable. Please help