36 volt gifted

2»

Comments

• mountainman
    mountainman Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭
    Here is my diagram. Is there a better way?
    2kw array 6 345 q cells  make sky blue 60 cc
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
    18 amp accusense charger. 3650 champion 
  • mountainman
    Yes  4x6 volt @225 ah in series 
    X 2 in parallel  24 volt.
    Would a 2000 watt inverter be pushing 
    The limits on this bank?
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Looks good.

A suggestion... Whatever you do, make sure you have an easy and safe way to access the tops of the cells (and cable connections) so that you can do your maintenance. Seen a few where stacked batteries/overhead shelving made cell access difficult (or you have difficulties getting to cells "in the middle" of a bunch of batteries), where people did not do the monthly checks/maintenance, and lost years of battery life.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mountainman

I've been searching craigslist for a
    Hanwha q cell 345 these are the specs
    Which is the better  match?
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
  • mountainman
    Downloaded the make sky blue manual. It states it can operate at 190 volts for short periods of time.
    100 year record cold here is 10f.
    String calculator says 3 in series max cold morning voc 157.5.
    What's the  worst that can happen 
    Frya cheap controller?
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
  • mountainman

6 230ah GC @36 volts 
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020 #38
    Downloaded the make sky blue manual. It states it can operate at 190 volts for short periods of time.
    100 year record cold here is 10f.
    String calculator says 3 in series max cold morning voc 157.5.
    What's the  worst that can happen 
    Frya cheap controller?
    "Mountainman" "Blue Ridge Mountains" I thought you were in GA?

I grew up in Tallahassee and saw single digits a couple times. I was 'frozen' in Craggy Gardens (on Blue Ridge Pkwy, north out of Ashville) in early May, 1999. I was cycling and they closed the Pkwy above Craggy Garden due to an inch of rime ice on the road. (I was already in Craggy Gardens which wasn't open for the season yet.)

I think either of the Q'panels would be a good match.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mountainman
    edited August 2020 #39
    Photowhit while my 1902 home was being completely restored.
    Took 2 years.
    I was in the mountains of Virginia off grid  in a travel  trailer where it gets well below the10f temps of the south eastern nc coast where I now live. Last time it got that cold here was January 2018 before that was about 80 years ago.
    I still spend summers in Virginia to escape the 104f heat of the nc coast.
    I migrate like birds. Me my s/o
    6 Huskies and my complete solar array 4 100 watt panels and 2 batteries.
    A 2000 watt generator and a Iota.
    I leave the travel trailer in Virginia on my 12 acre mountain permanently. Parked in the shade 
     With a remote array 100' away in the sun. 
    But since this 36 volt system was laid in my lap I'm setting it up permanently in nc. 

I understand that a battery off grid system doesn't save money when you're on grid.
     but I have it why not use it.
    Hurricanes like 2018 cause power 
    Outages for over 2 weeks with no where to get gas for the generator.

More or less a back up system.

6 230ah GC @36 volts 
  • Photowhit
    BTW - Also my old stomping grounds. I was a photographer for the News and Disturber and Raleigh Crimes! ...and for a brief time for the Star News in Wilmington(chief photographer and I didn't get along, I went back to Raleigh).
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Photowhit said:
    BTW - Also my old stomping grounds. I was a photographer for the News and Disturber and Raleigh Crimes! ...and for a brief time for the Star News in Wilmington(chief photographer and I didn't get along, I went back to Raleigh).
    At 40,000 SWAT raids/year - they could keep a photog busy these days. Interesting times indeed!
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Photowhit
    40,000!!! wow is that a US number or NC?

I like the 'vintage' to this photo, the guys are wearing vests, but no tactical armor or helmets, and have '6 shooters'. revolvers considered more reliable still, but rarely used as a primary weapon.
  • softdown
    40,000 is US number. I suspect SWAT budgets have a lot to do with efforts to defund the police. I'll bet 4am SWAT raids pay more than extremely well. Mans nature being mans nature - what was to be expected? 

A Constitutionally abiding judge denied the FIBs efforts to raid me. They would have found some dirty mags. I may or not have met that judge. Do Not Get Involved in US politics! It works exactly how the powers that be want it to work. For them. 

Hence my passing interest in 4am raids. Apparently you used to photograph them. Most are likely legit if you consider raiding drug usage legit. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • mountainman
    edited August 2020 #44
    Since i cant run 3 panels in series safely on my cc for 48 volts.
    I've been giving this 36 volt system some thought.
    I now have 6 345 panels 
    The make sky controller can only  take 1400 watts@ 24 volts
    But 2100 Watts @ 36 volts. 
    Over paneled for the 6 6 volt 230 ah 3 month old batteries I have
    ~16% charge rate.
    2 questions. 
    1.  Wouldn't 2 panels in series 75.86 vmp be fine for a mppt 36 volt charge voltage?
    2.  my loads are
            1500 wh    24 hours fridge 
            160 wh       5 hours 32 watt tv 
              96 wh        8 hours 12 watt lamp.
    With 1750 daily wh useage.
    Using 2100 solar watts and a
    230 ah @ 36 volt battery.
    Using a 1500 watt inverter.

Could I go a couple overcast days?

Solar hand book gives says at 55°
    3.5 hrs worst month January 

Pv watts says 4.4 hrs at 48° worst month December??

6 230ah GC @36 volts 
  • softdown
    December has the shortest day - the 21st I as I recall. Hardly a nickels worth of difference between Dec and Jan really. 

Same with June and July. In another `28 days our solar harvest will be at an avg point for the year. 

Another problem with Dec and Jan is it tends to cloudy, often snowy. That is when crisis happen as a rule. 'Cept me - mine are in July for freak reasons.
  • mountainman
    Snow? Haven't seen any for at least 5 years here.   about 1/4 inch.
    Winters are often cloudy and windy.    rarely gets any colder than 20f.
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    edited August 2020 #47
    The minimum "name plate/STD" Vmp-array suggested for MPPT would be:
    • 45 volts charging (aka ~15.0 volts @ 12 volts equivalent) * 1.3 Vmp/Batt fudge factor = 58.5 volts minimum for "effective" MPPT controller on 36 volt bank
    Your 75 Vmp-array looks to be just fine (as long as Voc-array-cold does not exceed Vpanel-max input rating).

1,750 Watt*Hours load per day * 1/0.52 end to end off grid system eff * 1/2,070 Watt array = 1.6 Hours of sun for "break even"

You minimum sun for winter is >~2x the 1.6 hours of sun--So you have a pretty good cushion.

Regarding harvest during overcast weather--I have seen very dark/stormy weather take my system down to 5% of predicted harvest (only a few days every couple of years--very dark and stormy weather).

It really depends on your typical cloudy days--Even a less than perfectly clear day can cut harvest by 50% very easily.
    • 230 AH * 36 volt battery bank * 0.85 AC inverter storage * 1/2 days of "dark days" * 0.50 max planned discharge = 1,760 WH per day (over night) from battery bank (basically 1/4 battery discharge)
    So--If you had "no sun" for two days, you would take battery bank down to 50%. If you need "aggressive" battery usage, you could get another day down to ~25% State of Charge (not recommended to go down below 20% SoC--Battery cell damage is more likely).

Are you able to use a genset during dark weather?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mountainman
    edited August 2020 #48
    Yes I have a noisy generator.
    Using morning star calculator 
    Voc max @ 0-f 105 volts 
    Min vmp @104-f 64 volts

Thing about going 36 volts.
    I Cant find a UL inverter.
    But chargers seem to outlast the carts.
    There is an abundance of used or new
    Ones available.
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you found, 36v inverters are rare.  How "oddball" do you want to be ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    Vaguely interesting: https://bigbattery.com/product/36v-li-ion-battery-pack-w-bms/

Looks like some ebikes run on 36V.
  • mountainman
    edited September 2020 #51
    After giving it very much thought.
    I decided to split the 36 volt system.

4 345 watt panels on 4 of the 230ah  golf cart  Batteries at 24 volts with the make sky blue controller for my home.

Which by the way doesn't have the tracking issues of my epever. So far a decent controller for the price.

The 2 remaining 345 panels 1 aimed at a se direction and 1 aimed at a sw direction on a single epever 4210an mppt controller.
    With the 2 remaining batteries on a 12 volt system for my travel trailer in Virginia.

6 230ah GC @36 volts