A true solar friendly 9 cu. ft. fridge that uses about 200 kWh/year.

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Expensive ($1000) compared to other small economy units but very miserly in energy usage.  Runs on 12/24 DC volts. 
2.7" of insulation for the freezer with no defrost built in. That is the secret. 
Reviews are generally good as fridge reviews go. I do wonder if the failures were related to issues with insufficient panels and batteries. Not one reviewer demonstrated significant knowledge about that subject. One noted that it worked off just two regular marine deep cycle batteries - which is really very little.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Saggys
    Saggys Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    Off topic but we have a Unique propane fridge that has worked great for us, very reliable. Bought it used and it is on its fifth year for us.
  • softdown
    Saggys said:
    Off topic but we have a Unique propane fridge that has worked great for us, very reliable. Bought it used and it is on its fifth year for us.

Pretty on topic - same brand
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    A local supplier was offering either this fridge or a similar one. Price was $1800 CDN. Runs on 12 or 24 volts DC
     Pros: No inverter needed, low power consumption about half that of a conventional fridge.
     Cons: high cost and lack of defrost cycle;  reliability long term is unknown. difficulty getting service
    This would be a good choice if you are running a dinky solar system.

But I would consider the alternative of a larger solar setup and a cheaper conventional fridge. I used to HATE defrosting my propane fridge
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Saggys
    Saggys Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    I agree on defrosting the propane freezer and not to mention the occasional flue cleaning. A small sacrifice for turn it on and forget about it. This is used in our bunkhouse which only has 160 watt pv and 300 watt morningstar inverter.
  • softdown
    It is an extreme to be sure. I have literally never defrosted a freezer - to my memory anyway.

Changing the subject for sure - When my 3648 inverter goes out, I am interested in replacing it with a 1500 watt inverter. I bought a case of them thinking I would do simple cabin solar installations. Big inverters can be the largest energy consumer of them all I suspect. Yet we never post actual numbers regarding specific inverter energy usage.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    ....... Big inverters can be the largest energy consumer of them all I suspect. Yet we never post actual numbers regarding specific inverter energy usage.
    26w  or 28w for the big one

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    That is interesting considering the figures I've recently seen bandied about - like a steady 100 watts. Perhaps the idle consumption/no load rarely happens in the real world of powering a typical home.
  • mountainman
    mountainman Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭
    FWIW my pure sine aims 300 watt inverter uses 0.7 amps  just being on.
    I tested it showed 8 watts.

2kw array 6 345 q cells  make sky blue 60 cc
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
    18 amp accusense charger. 3650 champion 
  • softdown
    Thanks - amps can be a little misleading when dealing with 12 and 24 and 48 volt units. 8 watts is nothing.

Yea, small inverters are like small engines. Idle with much less fuel. My Prius was left on overnight and hardly used fuel. It dies weird things due to the hybrid battery interface.
  • mountainman
    Comparing Mike's conext to my aims his is roughly 20 times bigger with only 3 times the amount of idle consumption. Looks like its sipping power.

6 230ah GC @36 volts 
  • Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020 #12
    To bring the conversation back to fridges, my 14.5cuft inverter LG uses about 330kwh/yr and maxes out at 260 watts (more to defrost?) on the killowatt meter. Usually it sits somewhere between 60 and 90 watts. I believe it could run on a MS300 inverter, but My dependable outback 3048 idles at 24 watts. I agree with Softdown, given these new appliances I believe smaller more efficient inverters are the way ahead.
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    softdown said- When my 3648 inverter goes out, I am interested in replacing it with a 1500 watt inverter. I bought a case of them thinking I would do simple cabin solar installations. 
     But...to follow on from my post above...the problem has always been, where does one find a higher nominal voltage, lower watt, inverter? Softdown, did you find a case of (reliable manufacturer) efficient low wattage 48v inverters?
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • mountainman
    Small 48volt inverters are more available now  as low as 250 watts. Outbacks 1548. 1500 watts.
    thing is just because its lower watts 
    Does not have much less idle.
     6 230ah GC @36 volts 
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure my Trace 1524 runs at 8 watts; less on standby mode. And has been running 24/7 since 1994. I've thought about replacing it with a pure sine inverter, but could I get this sort of reliability?
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.