low cost submersible solar pump?

jonr
jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭

There are now some low cost pumps now being offered for around $100. Has anyone tried one?

Specs are not clear. For example, most list a single voltage (odd for a MPPT supply). No pump curves.

Search ebay for:

24V 2m³/h 65M Brushless Stainless Solar Submersible Deep Well Water Pump MPPT WX

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

Comments

• Deveak_Kaizen
    Deveak_Kaizen Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Unless my pump was super easy to get too, I would be wary of something that cheap.
  • jonr
    I see that some of them are listed as brushless with a voltage range of 12V-72V.   

• gpigeon
    gpigeon Registered Users Posts: 34 ✭✭✭
    I started out in 2013 with 2x Shurflo 9325's for pumping livestock water. Those pumps lasted about 2 years so then I tried the cheap Chinese copies of the 9325. They also last about a year. Considering the cost difference (say $700 for the 9325 and $100 for the China pump) I now only use the Chinese ones. I have 7 all up. Spare parts for them are not available so when one fails I just replace it with a new one.
    It looks to me as if the Chinese version is a direct copy of the 9325. "Intellectual theft" or collusion????? Actually it looks as if the 9325 is no longer available??
  • jonr
    I believe that the Shurflo 9325 is a diaphragm pump with brushes.  This is comparable to some chinese pumps, but not at all to the ones I referenced.  The latter is brush-less and usually a helical rotor.   You might try one.

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Having sold hundreds of water pumps I will attest that better pumps costs more to make and sell. Quality well pumps should last well over a decade. 

At least shallow well pumps are likely easier to replace. Though I would not like the inconvenience of a failing water pump. 

$100 disposable well pumps - "signs of the times" I suppose. 

A decent aquarium pump costs roughly twice that. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Deveak_Kaizen
    Deveak_Kaizen Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭
    gpigeon said:
    I started out in 2013 with 2x Shurflo 9325's for pumping livestock water. Those pumps lasted about 2 years so then I tried the cheap Chinese copies of the 9325. They also last about a year. Considering the cost difference (say $700 for the 9325 and $100 for the China pump) I now only use the Chinese ones. I have 7 all up. Spare parts for them are not available so when one fails I just replace it with a new one.
    It looks to me as if the Chinese version is a direct copy of the 9325. "Intellectual theft" or collusion????? Actually it looks as if the 9325 is no longer available??
    When they do fail, how do they fail? burnt motor, leak, worn impeller etc?
    Can you swap parts from other pumps and fix them if you had to or is it the same thing that breaks over and over? 
    I am curious. It would be a hell of a job pulling my well pump out right now but once I put some 250 PSI polypipe in not so bad. Currently using galvanized pipe, near 500 lbs of it 
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    gpigeon said:
    When they do fail, how do they fail? burnt motor, leak, worn impeller etc?
    Can you swap parts from other pumps and fix them if you had to or is it the same thing that breaks over and over? 
    I am curious. It would be a hell of a job pulling my well pump out right now but once I put some 250 PSI polypipe in not so bad. Currently using galvanized pipe, near 500 lbs of it 
    Good question. I have probably replaced over a 100 aquarium pumps over the years. They basically grow weaker over the years and out put decreases. They may take several minutes to restart after being unplugged, that is a good clue of impending failure. Some grow noisy. I believe the impeller magnets weaken over time. Sometimes we just replace the impeller but that fails to make it "good as new".

Water Pumps cannot push air, they must be primed with water if the lines become filled with air after a power outage etc. Very, very few realize that. Well companies make bank replacing pumps that are not working because they have a lot of air in the lines. Saved my dad thousands of dollars once. Saved a few customers as well.

I'm also assuming that cheap shallow water well pumps are similar to aquarium pumps. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • armyaviator
    armyaviator Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Good Question Jonr... I have three independent submersible solar wells.... one with 3K gallon holding tank and overflows into 1/4 acre pond one with 300gallon tank for orchard drip irrigation and a 2" diameter shallow pumping direct into pond.  I have gone through 7 or 8 pumps now, and the cheap Chinese pumps (IMO) last better than the American expensive ones like Dankoff (surface) and Advanced Power.  I much rather spend $100 for a pump that fails in 3 to 6  months than $700+.   With that said, I have good and bad Chinese pumps... some require 1.5 times of their wattage (strongly advised) in solar panels to pump properly.  Also, make sure not to downsize the outlet pipe and use filter sock (and change often) if it is sensitive to particles.
  • Solar2
    Solar2 Registered Users Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I have purchased 5 of the Hallmark and Vevor brand.
    The oldest has been in 4 years in residential service.
    Not a single problem with any of them.

The 220 vac pumps came with a standard 120 vac plug on them.
    Just cut off the plug and wire it to 220 vac.

The last two I ordered via eBay were a problem.
    They first one was advertised to be a 220 volt pump .
    But when it came it said 120 vac on the motor.
    So I ordered another with the request that it be 220 vac.
    It got here last week and the motor says 220 vac 50 cycle.
    So we are screwed again.
    I realize that a 50 cycle motor will run on 60 cycle but the motor will try to run faster
    and probably be overloaded.
    I just may take out two or three of the impellers and run it on 60 cycle.

The motors on the low cost pumps interchange with any of the standard USA pumps.

If you have the capability of changing out you own pumps the low cost pumps are a good deal.
    But most well installers don't like them since they want to mark up the pump to you.

18 Kw PV;  2000 AHr FLA Bat; 12 Kw Inverter;  20 Kw Kohler, LP, low speed, double muffled,   Home built, ground coupled heat pump, VFD enabled;  Leaf