low cost submersible solar pump?

jonrjonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭

There are now some low cost pumps now being offered for around $100. Has anyone tried one?

Specs are not clear. For example, most list a single voltage (odd for a MPPT supply). No pump curves.

Search ebay for:

24V 2m³/h 65M Brushless Stainless Solar Submersible Deep Well Water Pump MPPT WX

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

Comments

• Deveak_KaizenDeveak_Kaizen Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Unless my pump was super easy to get too, I would be wary of something that cheap.
  • jonrjonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭
    I see that some of them are listed as brushless with a voltage range of 12V-72V.   

• gpigeongpigeon Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭✭
    I started out in 2013 with 2x Shurflo 9325's for pumping livestock water. Those pumps lasted about 2 years so then I tried the cheap Chinese copies of the 9325. They also last about a year. Considering the cost difference (say $700 for the 9325 and $100 for the China pump) I now only use the Chinese ones. I have 7 all up. Spare parts for them are not available so when one fails I just replace it with a new one.
    It looks to me as if the Chinese version is a direct copy of the 9325. "Intellectual theft" or collusion????? Actually it looks as if the 9325 is no longer available??
  • jonrjonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe that the Shurflo 9325 is a diaphragm pump with brushes.  This is comparable to some chinese pumps, but not at all to the ones I referenced.  The latter is brush-less and usually a helical rotor.   You might try one.

• softdownsoftdown Solar Expert Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭✭
    Having sold hundreds of water pumps I will attest that better pumps costs more to make and sell. Quality well pumps should last well over a decade. 

At least shallow well pumps are likely easier to replace. Though I would not like the inconvenience of a failing water pump. 

$100 disposable well pumps - "signs of the times" I suppose. 

A decent aquarium pump costs roughly twice that. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Deveak_KaizenDeveak_Kaizen Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭
    gpigeon said:
    I started out in 2013 with 2x Shurflo 9325's for pumping livestock water. Those pumps lasted about 2 years so then I tried the cheap Chinese copies of the 9325. They also last about a year. Considering the cost difference (say $700 for the 9325 and $100 for the China pump) I now only use the Chinese ones. I have 7 all up. Spare parts for them are not available so when one fails I just replace it with a new one.
    It looks to me as if the Chinese version is a direct copy of the 9325. "Intellectual theft" or collusion????? Actually it looks as if the 9325 is no longer available??
    When they do fail, how do they fail? burnt motor, leak, worn impeller etc?
    Can you swap parts from other pumps and fix them if you had to or is it the same thing that breaks over and over? 
    I am curious. It would be a hell of a job pulling my well pump out right now but once I put some 250 PSI polypipe in not so bad. Currently using galvanized pipe, near 500 lbs of it 
  • softdownsoftdown Solar Expert Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭✭
    gpigeon said:
    When they do fail, how do they fail? burnt motor, leak, worn impeller etc?
    Can you swap parts from other pumps and fix them if you had to or is it the same thing that breaks over and over? 
    I am curious. It would be a hell of a job pulling my well pump out right now but once I put some 250 PSI polypipe in not so bad. Currently using galvanized pipe, near 500 lbs of it 
    Good question. I have probably replaced over a 100 aquarium pumps over the years. They basically grow weaker over the years and out put decreases. They may take several minutes to restart after being unplugged, that is a good clue of impending failure. Some grow noisy. I believe the impeller magnets weaken over time. Sometimes we just replace the impeller but that fails to make it "good as new".

Water Pumps cannot push air, they must be primed with water if the lines become filled with air after a power outage etc. Very, very few realize that. Well companies make bank replacing pumps that are not working because they have a lot of air in the lines. Saved my dad thousands of dollars once. Saved a few customers as well.

I'm also assuming that cheap shallow water well pumps are similar to aquarium pumps. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries