removed

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
removed
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    Options
    One hurdle down: Measuring 119.4 volts with largest energy draw running and cooling - the upright commercial freezer. That was towards the end of the cooling cycle however. The cycle ended showing 119.5 volts. Apparently the energy draw decreases the energy cycle approaches the end.

Pretty long run so I am pleased with the voltage level. Few things phase a 1650 lb forklift battery. There is that. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Options
    Thinking I'll see how long two panels powers the freezers. If they are anywhere in the vicinity of getting the job done - four panels should work fine. 

Six panels could mean up to ~900 watts (de-rated) on 10AWG wire at ~ 40 DC volts. Less than ideal but not likely to go interstellar. 
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You need several more panels to keep the batteries from stratifying. And to keep the 3rd refer going,

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    Options
    Perhaps - two panels produces hours of battery acid bubbling the vast majority of the time. The newest fridge has 2"of insulation and no freezer - I am counting on it to be very energy efficient. That was the whole idea. I'm currently betting that four panels will easily do the job - after a few hours of reflection. I don't think the garage ever see's the 70's. 
  • softdown
    Options
    Ridiculously easy - all it took is four Y's. Need to integrate a fused combiner box someday soon. Now the battery bubbles at, guessing here, maybe 50% higher volume. 

It quickly became apparent that two panels was insufficient. Was charging at a meager 25.4 volts at 9am. After only day of an increased load. 

I'll say it again here. About the best thing you can do is hook up a system voltage read out with the easiest access possible. Could save you thousands in batteries. Or a 3am wake up to low power. They range in price from maybe $25 to over $100. Then you need wiring from your batteries to your voltage read out. 
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, Sir. A remote battery bank voltmeter in the kitchen is something that vitually all of my off-grid battery customers do at my suggestion. I cannot count the number of times it has helped pick up a problem early. Over time, glancing at the readout when passing by becomes automatic and any "out of range" numbers register almost subconsciously.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I think you need to do a much better job of monitoring what the condition of your battery actually is.  Just listening to bubbling is not gonna work.  If the batteries are "charging" at just 25.4V, then they are highly depleted.  A battery with a reasonable level of charge would be absorbing voltage in the 26-27V range.  Get a hydrometer like this...
    For a 1650lb battery, I'd guestimate that you need more like 2500-3000 watts of panels to keep the amperage in the appropriate range.  You can get a rough sense of charge by checking the resting voltage several hours after sunset.  You can use this charge to know what your level of charge is.

System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • softdown
    edited April 2020 #9
    Options
    It was 9am.   "Was charging at a meager 25.4 volts at 9am."

Peak voltage may not be realized until 11am for obvious reasons. 

Main system is at 50 volts at 7am. Are you also going to lecture on that? 
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Attacking a responder is not the best response, I too had reservations when looking at the information provided as being too low for the application. It's best to work together in achieving a solution, to what may seem obvious to some, but alludes others. Unfortunately the sensitivity of posters often gets in the way of meaningful dialogue, which is a pity, we all have something to learn from the insight of others, even if there is disagreement.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • softdown
    Options
    Charging at 27.4 volts 24 hours later. Exactly where it should be.