Solar panel disconnect

Chris11
Chris11 Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭
Again I must ask you a beginner questions.  Sadly I've forgotten what you've taught me in the past....old age ya know.

I have the new two strings of 5 panels each connected to each other via the MC4 connectors.  Is just turning off the breaker good enough to wire them to the breaker?  Or do I have to disconnect the panels from each other?

Thankyou, Chrs

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I understand what you are saying, yes, you can just connect them to an 'open'/off breaker that is rated for the correct amperage and DC current.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as caution is taken by keeping the positive and negative isolated from one another, there is no reason to disconnect the series strings as the breaker will, if turned off, create an open circuit.
    My suggestion is to connect the negatives first before positive connection is made and do the work early or late in the day or better yet at night, when there is little to no output from the array, or cover the array with a tarp to stop production, disconnecting MC4 would have the same result but unnecessary disconnecting can damage the connections, particularly if the correct tools are not used.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Chris11
    Thankee.  I appreciate the quick answer since tomorrow morning I'll be back at it.  If you hear a loud explosion from E. Washington you'll know I screwed it up.
  • Photowhit
    I think you've posted before, but on the side of caution, be sure to use a DC rated breaker!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    And, if working with "live circuits"--Make sure that you are protected and secure so you are not "surprised" by sparks and fall of the roof/ladder/etc... Eye protection, tools insulated with electrical tape (screw driver shafts, wrench handles, etc.).

What to hear that you are both OK and have a successful upgrade.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Chris11
    Photowhit …. I do use DC breakers, and ordered more plus a larger combiner from our host but after been given advice that 5 strings of 4 panels would be best I'll be able to use the same breakers with one new one.  So I'm covered.

Bill …. I'm on ground level.  With this new array, separate from the first one, I improved it.  As the commercials say, the new and improved model ….lol.  The first one I have to use the tractor to lift the complete array which is hinged on the top end in order to change the angle.  This one I put the hinges mostly centered, a little towards the top so a little more weight is on the bottom.  Now I'm able to lift the complete thing by hand by myself to change the angle.  And yessiry, all my tools are wrapped in tape.  Thanks to the advice of the people here.  

Oh, I measured voltage open circuit yesterday, 110 volts on one string and 107 on the other.  Kinda was an eye opener to me …. I've entered the "Watch out Batman" area.  I even told myself that I have to be so careful now.

Ya'll don't have to sit outside in lawn chairs munching popcorn this morning listening for the Boom …. I read the Mexicans are going to temporarily stop brewing my favorite Corona Beer so I have to put on my mask and gloves and go to our nearest Walmart to buy what's left in stock.  Priorities you know.

Thanks, Chris

• Photowhit
    edited April 2020 #8
    Chris11 said:
    ... so I have to put on my mask and gloves...
    FWIW - gloves don't really help, anything you can pickup on your hands can be picked up on gloves. The virus needs thin membranes to pass into your body, nose, mouth or eyes. Don't touch your face, and wash your hands!

Stay safe! Totally understand priorities are priorities!
  • Chris11
    I remember 6 months and older ago they laughed at people who wore masks for whatever, saying they don't do anything.  I used to look at doctors and nurses wearing them and said to myself, "If they work for them, they'll work for me." 

When I went to Costco about 4 weeks ago, now in the age of virus, I was the only one that I saw wearing a mask.  Two weeks ago I went again, and I only saw 1 other person wearing a mask.  2 days ago we went again and  approximately 30 per cent of the shoppers were wearing them.  Now the government and so called experts have changed their tune and suggest people wear masks.

Gloves are useful.  For instance after we shopped we went to the car, I removed my left possibly contaminated glove to open the door, and the trunk lid.  Then put a fresh single glove back on to transfer the shopping to the trunk.  Then I was able to remove the gloves for the drive home.  Once home a new pair of gloves to unload the car and we even have the groceries in quarantine....lol.  Non freezables stay in the garage and freezables go into a spare room on a wheeled cart.  That day we even stripped outside and took showers after putting our outside clothes in the washer.

You're a 100 percent correct that washing is the answer, but washing isn't always available.  Removing gloves is.  And I bought 600 gloves from Harbor freight about two months ago when the crap started to hit the fan.

I'm almost 74, my wife is 72 and has emphysema.  We will both probably die if we get it so I do all I can to lower the risk.  And here's a tough one for me to swallow ..... lol ..... I cancelled my risk adding trip to get Corona Beer this morning.  Broke my heart but I can live without Corona Beer but can't live with Corona virus.   
  • Photowhit
    I wanted to point this out as gloves often give people a false idea of security. Looks like they do offer a bit extra the way you are using them. 

Masks are proven, as far as I'm concerned. It amazes me that that hasn't become the 'new norm' yet but I feel it soon will be. 

Wish people would consider the case of an 'untested' Rand Paul, he's has tested positive for 10-12 days now, but shows no symptoms. So he's a carrier. Perhaps he or others like him, who have the virus, but don't show symptoms have allergies. It is allergy season! They can be passing the virus along through their sneezing and coughing. The basic cotton mask doesn't do a lot to prevent air born particles in the virus's size, but id does help prevent moisture droplets from dissipating getting into the air so someone infected doesn't pass it along and it helps prevent the wearer from touching the thin membranes of the nose and mouth.

...and yes, I said proven. In Asia where masks carry little or no stigma, they have been able to flatten the curve in Japan and Hong Kong. 

In the end, I suspect we'll be wearing masks in public for the foreseeable future. I can't recall the % needed to loosen the hold of an easily transmitted virus, but something on the order of 60-80% will either need to have gotten it and built up antibodies or have gotten an vaccine. It will take a year to develop a vaccine, so thinking 18 months or so, minimum.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, the realistic projection is +80% of the population will catch CV-19 before a vaccine is developed.  If the "Curve" can be flattened enough to prevent from saturating the hospitals, the beds with ventilators will be able to keep pace with the infected.

Do I party now, while there are still beds   or wait till all the doc's are sick ???????????
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,