Windows 10 laptop is the slowest computer I have ever owned.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Unless you open a bunch of tabs in your browser (I have a friend that opens 20+ tabs at a time for his research)--Simply keeping the number of open tabs down to a few can help.

4 GByte should be reasonable base Windows 10 system.

Also check how much freespace you have on your disk... When your disc gets full (Less than 10 GBytes or so of free space, that can slow things down too).

Do you have it set for normal energy usage? Not low power? Disc is not "put to sleep" too quickly?

If you are using Firefox as your browser, do you have an adblocker (like Ublock Origin)? The websites today have so many ads that many pages take forever to load and slow your system down to molasse.... (so I have been told--I have been using Ad Blockers for decades after getting viruses from advertising in Internet 1.0 days--I formally let ads thru, but since they refused to keep out viruses, and the ads made websites unusable / all the tracking / lack of protections, forgetaboutit).

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ublock+origin

Ublock Origin also is available for several browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, Edge, Opera).

I am using the native Chrome browser (yeck, but it works) and Ublock Origin on a very low power Chromebook, and it works fine.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Working on some issues with 17 tabs open right now. I already paid for 32GB of memory  - that should help a lot. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    Softdown,

Are you using an Adblocker?

Some number of years ago, there was a bug in the Adblockplus software (as I remember) for Firefox... It only affected users using Adsense Website (Google's interface for controlling ads on people's websites)--And they got a whole bunch of complaints about the bug (the people putting ads on their websites using Adblock+ for their browser -- Oh the irony).

Ublock Origin is really nice. I, very rarely, have any issues with websites not working. And all you have to do is click the "off button" for those websites (banking, or similar).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Did install and adblocker several days ago - that seemed to help for awhile. Then Windows did the latest updates and turned my PC into molasses again. I have reverted to a earlier update now. Plus installed uBlock Origin just now. 

Pretty hectic times with buying and fixing old, super cheap broken down cars needing transmissions or engines. Of course the IRS picked a lovely time to say my extensions for 2017 and 2018 were not successfully filed. Spent much time with a smart though Asian agent and got the subsequent fines removed. A definite source of anxiety of course. 

Seems my own operating system is starting to re-awaken after a several year slumber. Good and bad to that! I couldn't afford to do much for several years - hellish years. Torturous years.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Returning the 32GB of memory and going back to 7. 10 s*ks.

I paid a computer store to get past my lost password issue. They got rid of the password requirement. Then it decided I needed to enter my "password" last week and get a new one. Ingsoc will do anything to get all of our passwords. The last straw for that pile of fine tuned surveillance. 
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    mike_s said:
    No info on the hardware?

I just helped a friend with a new laptop (came with Win10 Home). $400, included a 256G SSD. Added 1 TB disk (lots of music) and an extra 8GB (makes it 16) RAM for $100. Boots in under a minute, snappy performance. But, he hasn't loaded it up with a bunch of cruft which needs to load on boot. SSD is by far the best bang-for-the-buck in terms of performance.

But yeah, Win10 sux. They really haven't improved or added anything useful since Win7.
    They sure added a lot of spyware.....that is their improvement.......just not your improvement.
  • Johann
    I got a win 10 also and it is way slower than my old labtop......just junk.

• Johann
    edited December 2019 #39
    I just threw my working  Dell Win 10 computer in the trash can.
    Got tired of this piece sh@% t  wanting to update all the time and me having to wait for 5-15 minutes to do so.
    I will get my  Win 7 PC back that my son borrowed. That Win 7 is way faster than that Win 10 ever will.
  • softdown
    Johann said:
    I just threw my working  Dell Win 10 computer in the trash can.
    Got tired of this piece sh@% t  wanting to update all the time and me having to wait for 5-15 minutes to do so.
    I will get my  Win 7 PC back that my son borrowed. That Win 7 is way faster than that Win 10 ever will.
    The inability to shut down updates is pretty irritating. Like the Peeping Tom that insists he has a right to 24/7 peeping. Being in the middle of something only to have the computer shut down for updates is not endearing. 

Thing work when new. Then need daily updates to avoid death and destruction? C'mon. I don't plan on updates to my next surveillance, I mean smartphone. 
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019 #41
    Since this thread came alive again:
    I am really happy with my new 15" Dell laptop running a native install of Windows 10. It has a 256 GB SSD, 8 MB of ram and Intel i5 7200 processor. I bought it new from Dell for $429.99 plus tax, with free shipping.
    I have all my software installed, including Quick Books, The MS Ofice 2016 suite, Adobe CS2, Adobe Acrobat Pro, my webpage authoring software, my ftp client, Macrium for hard drive mirroring. McAfee services run in the background along with all of the usual Windows modules. Cortana is disabled. I run Firefox for browsing and bunch of little pop tools.
    I boot up from a cold start and have Excel up and running in 22-24 seconds. Literally.
    It is typical for me to have Outlook, Word, Excel and Firefox open with 2-3 tabs. Each additional program opens in 1-2 seconds. A power down takes 3-4 seconds. Update installs are extremely fast, as are USB backup transfers to my 5 TB back up drives. My internet connection is relatively slow at 35-45 Mbps because it's cell phone based. Moving from a 1 TB internal drive to 256 GB was easy to solve with an external USB powered 2 TB portable drive. I'll say it again - the transfer speeds of these modern USB ports is impressive.
    I have never owned a computer that was so fast and stable! IMHO, it is the combination of a reasonable amount of RAM and a very fast SSD.
    Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    edited December 2019 #42
    Note: Wherever you see "Heck", you can bet something along the lines of "f*ck" was typed other than one which was another word. -Bill "moderator" B.
    Since this thread came alive again:
    I am really happy with my new 15" Dell laptop running a native install of Windows 10. It has a 256 GB SSD, 8 MB of ram and Intel i5 7200 processor. I bought it new from Dell for $429.99 plus tax, with free shipping.
    I have all my software installed, including Quick Books, The MS Ofice 2016 suite, Adobe CS2, Adobe Acrobat Pro, my webpage authoring software, my ftp client, Macrium for hard drive mirroring. McAfee services run in the background along with all of the usual Windows modules. Cortana is disabled. I run Firefox for browsing and bunch of little pop tools.
    I boot up from a cold start and have Excel up and running in 22-24 seconds. Literally.
    It is typical for me to have Outlook, Word, Excel and Firefox open with 2-3 tabs. Each additional program opens in 1-2 seconds. A power down takes 3-4 seconds. Update installs are extremely fast, as are USB backup transfers to my 5 TB back up drives. My internet connection is relatively slow at 35-45 Mbps because it's cell phone based. Moving from a 1 TB internal drive to 256 GB was easy to solve with an external USB powered 2 TB portable drive. I'll say it again - the transfer speeds of these modern USB ports is impressive.
    I have never owned a computer that was so fast and stable! IMHO, it is the combination of a reasonable amount of RAM and a very fast SSD.
    Marc
    https://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/why-is-windows-10-so-bad/10dedebe-6be7-41a1-ac98-86adfba68205

https://www.windowscentral.com/14-reasons-not-to-upgrade-windows-10

https://www.quora.com/What-is-bad-about-Windows-10?redirected_qid=48759655

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/why-is-windows-10-such-a-piece-of-crap/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7vsng0/why_does_windows_10_suck_soooo_badly/  : IT tech here.

So far today i have had a windows 10 laptop thats nearly brand new, sit there and go "connecting" "disconnect" "connecting" "disconnecting" on the wireless network every 3 seconds. Just cycling over and over again. Just after a fresh reboot.

Had to disable and re-enable the wireless adapter to fix that.

And now, on a brand new HP spectre, im copying data across the network, and in task manager it has "1.3mpbs" next to the mini graph, yet, on the large graph, it has over 300mps. Its the same graph.

So many shitty user bugs, inconsistent user interfaces, for example, you select the wireless network in the flyout, it has connect in a square button, but "properties" in dark underlined font. Oh and rightclick doesnt work. You go up a bit to the VPN connection, and it doesnt have properties. you have to go through the various clicks and the horrific to navigate networking page that shows you information about the network adapter that's totally Hecking useless. And to edit this? change your IP? you have to go BACK OUT and go somewhere else. Why not put an edit button there? no.. Heck YOU says Microsoft.

Why is right click removed from so many interfaces? Why does the left hand bar of the start menu not respond to right click at all?

I go home and drink because the future of computing is a popup-add filled start menu filled with games that no one wants, search menus that dont work and send all that you type back to microsoft, and an operating system that everytime it does an update reverts all your settings, file associations and personalised preferences. I don't know how long i can go on like this with every major OS turned into a social media data mining experience.

5 years ago, if you had of gone up to a windows 7 desktop that was restarting without your permissions, was popping up games over and over again that you un-installed, had different right click menus everywhere, was sending your search data back to unknown servers, kept resetting your file associations and kept asking you to use another browser, your first thought would be: This computer is infected with a trojan or spyware, search hijacker or BHO toolbar with third party programs running amok.

Now? Now thats a the FLAGSHIP PRODUCT of a world class company.

You spend over 200 dollars on an OS, and you get Hecking GAMES installing themselves over your bandwidth in the start menu.

So lets install office right? So you have to buy it. So you hand over your credit card, personal email address, home/business address, date of birth, all just to get a copy of office, that then installs and starts advertising the weather from the wrong Hecking LOCATION in outlook.

This is after windows 10s "location" feature being horribly broken. After all that data mining they can't do a Hecking GEOIP lookup?

Every few weeks, office gets updated. There is no QA done. The last update prevented the ability to save multiple attachments from outlook. The Hecking REASON to have outlook is to work on your emails and documents, and they cant even Hecking get that right, all the while touting all these amazing new features like integrated linux and docker functionality, they CANT GET HeckING OUTLOOK to work?

I do the IT for a professional customer facing business, and there is Hecking minecraft and candy crush soda in the start menu.

RIght now, this spectre im working on has an external dock using an external monitor and network card. So windows 10 does the obvious thing and SHUTS THE DOCK DOWN WHILE ITS USING IT!!

WHAT THE Heck.

I know after an hour, have to restart a backup procedure because windows 10 has shutdown its own network interface, that it cant even measure bandwidth on properly, after spending 30 seconds trying to work out why it has no network connections anymore for the backup im running.

Are you Hecking SERIOUS?

Wait, it gets worse. I am browsing the network again. Literally looking at the router in "Network", while the data has started copying again, and a blue bar pops up saying "this computer is not connected to a network, click to connect."

Its connected, the network logo has no yellow or red mark. im literally looking at the network.

Clicking the toolbar does nothing. It goes "connect to a network" then disappears.

Is this some sick joke that microsoft is playing on the world? to see how much shit people will take from their computer under the pretense of "Windows 10 is easier to use" "Focus on productivity!"

Lets see, look at a windows 7 machine. No popups saying "switch to edge its better!" or "how do you rate windows 10" or "would you recommend it to a colleague".

No auto-installing games in the start menu that takes up half the screen when you click it and all you want to do is open your Hecking outlook.

No unskippable full screen prompts. No popups asking you to reconnect to the network you are STILL CONNECTED TO.

You open the start menu and open your application.

how.. HOW could microsoft Heck that up? Why is there "play and explore" on a business OS?

Why is there an xbox tile in my cad machine that i can't uninstall?

Why doesn't windows 10 stay connected to a wireless network?

Why is there all this touch interface bullshit on a screen that doesn't have touch capability?

Why is the font SO HeckING HUGE. Why is there an INCH between each icon in the settings window that takes up the ENTIRE 1920x1080p screen?

Why does window defender keep putting itself in action center saying it didn't find anything during its last scan? WHY IS THAT IMPORTANT??

Why does 1 out of 10 surface computers just ignore group policy? Just.. ignores it.

Why does windows 10 routinely break offline files, pdf file associations and font sizes?

Why doesn't Search work? Why is it opening up EDGE and BING?? what the Heck i want to look for a file in my documents!!

The start menu has weather for Hecking CANBERRA and im in brisbane, the time zone is set correctly as well. Does the app do a geo ip lookup? nope. Heck it. Cant even be bothered to check the time zone much less the location.

Mine all your social media and search queries, but cant be bothered to work out where the Heck you ARE.

Go to the microsoft support forums, and 90 percent of fixes are "reinstall your os"

The other 10 percent are met with other people saying "oh it works fine for me" woopy Hecking doo to you.

Oh you don't want to use cortana? well, to Hecking bad. It's microsofts PC, and you are on microsofts terms now, its their pc, they can do what they want, because what are you going to do? nothing. You cant do a thing.

Got software that does not work on windows 10? too Hecking bad for you, they wanted everyone to use Windows Datamine Edition 10 they ACTUALLY CHANGED the definition of CLOSE to mean "Accept"

Full screen Hecking ads on perfectly working windows 7 installations to sell you on the newest shittiest least tested edition of windows ever made. An OS sooooo BAD, the standard fix for if something goes wrong is to just format and reinstall.

As well, lets make it even easier to diagnose your shitty new force installed os by REMOVING F8 boot settings!

The quickest way now to get into safe mode is to boot into normal mode and use the start menu! HOW THE Heck DOES THAT MAKE SENSE. You need safe mode because it won't Hecking boot into normal mode you stupid Hecking Heck.

Heck

• BB.
    Softdown, I get it... You are ticked off... We do not allow "bad language" here... This is a forum that is paid for and represents a business here that spend lots of money and time keeping this forum going for us--Without charge/fees/donations from us.

I have left your edited post up, and I get you are really T'ed off.

-Bill "moderator" B.
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019 #44
    Just caught up with this thread. Due to one of my out of control hobbies  :D, I have a number of home-built Win10 and Win7 desktops and one each laptops here (as well as three chromebooks, which I am convinced are far better than either version of Windoze).  I upgraded most of the Win7 machines to Win10 when it was free, except for a couple that were running "legacy" programs that weren't supported by Win10.

I won't question @softdown's experience. Sounds bad.

I will say though, that I've generally found Windows 10 much better than Windows 7. Faster booting, more stable, nicer features, and all the contextual menus make more sense. Maybe I'm lucky? When I retired, we had only Win7 at work, and lots of people had issues. I don't do any games, and only limited social networks. Mostly I do software development sites and tools.  I don't care for the Microsoft suite of tools (e.g., Office) and tend to use the free ones (Google docs, Libre, etc.)

I'm not too keen on the conspiracy theories of who all is spying on me. I think I have a little understanding of most of the risks, but am able feel comfortable with the risk vs. increased convenience. Anyway, I may be wrong, but if so I am at least happy!

Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    In the last 3 days I have suffered some of what S-down has . I got 3 messages that were like "Well what have we here? Stop all you are doing and Shutdown and reboot"WTF is going on I already did the update twice???  Can't it do it right the first time?...  I still use my W7 laptop and will NOT down grade to W10 I will take the risk (Minimal) and use other anti-spyware. I don't use the windows offering anyway...
    W10 is so lousey!!!

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • softdown
    Horsefly said:
    Just caught up with this thread. Due to one of my out of control hobbies  :D, I have a number of home-built Win10 and Win7 desktops and one each laptops here (as well as three chromebooks, which I am convinced are far better than either version of Windoze).  I upgraded most of the Win7 machines to Win10 when it was free, except for a couple that were running "legacy" programs that weren't supported by Win10.

I won't question @softdown's experience. Sounds bad.

I will say though, that I've generally found Windows 10 much better than Windows 7. Faster booting, more stable, nicer features, and all the contextual menus make more sense. Maybe I'm lucky? When I retired, we had only Win7 at work, and lots of people had issues. I don't do any games, and only limited social networks. Mostly I do software development sites and tools.  I don't care for the Microsoft suite of tools (e.g., Office) and tend to use the free ones (Google docs, Libre, etc.)

I'm not too keen on the conspiracy theories of who all is spying on me. I think I have a little understanding of most of the risks, but am able feel comfortable with the risk vs. increased convenience. Anyway, I may be wrong, but if so I am at least happy!

Being such an avid fan of Google, you might be interested. https://www.amazon.com/Surveillance-Valley-Military-History-Internet/dp/1610398025/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1XI0AZU81L9LU&keywords=surveillance+valley+the+secret+military+history+of+the+internet&qid=1576342488&sprefix=surviellance+valley,aps,687&sr=8-1

I don't think anything in there is conjecture. 

So we have a couple W10 fans here. That just so happen to supplement their income by working with this surveillance, I mean government. Merely a coincidence. 
  • BB.
    Costco had a nice $200 Chromebook laptop from HP... I have an ACER $200 chromebook (both were $200 on sale). It works "good enough" for most everything I need to do. And so well, that I bought a few more... One for my In-Laws' just to leave there when we go visit so that I can look stuff on the web/order things/etc. at their place.

The one thing I miss from Windows is the ability to screenshot/edit using Paint (or equivalent) out of the box to send via email/post on forum. I may be able to figure out how/find a Google Play application to do it, but I have not researched it yet.

And it lasts something like 10+ hours on its internal battery (in a typical room, keeping screen brightness down, and don't use the "night mode" which seems to use more power for the same illumination). So far, the Chrome OS updates ask before they do the install.

I have a newish W10 Dell laptop (W10 was installed directly from Microsoft download, not from the OEM Dell install--No issue with bloatware). Very fast (4 core Intel processor, etc. very fast and pretty good battery life from a small internal battery). Boots quickly. Does do the Windows Update that delays startup once a month or so.

On the Chromebook I am using Chrome browser with Ublock Origin ad blocker and a Vanilla cookie manager (different company vs our "Vanilla Forum software Corp.").

And using Firefox+Ublock Origin+cookie manager on W10...

Running some sort of Ad Blocker makes going on the web a 100x better.

At this point, if you want a plug and play laptop and are worried about security/viruses/etc... The Chromebook is probably the best solution for most folks (that don't want to do their own full Linux/other installs--Or run Apple products). Many software developers use Chromebooks for traveling. Much more secure than a Windows X environment--And if you use Google Docs/Drive--You don't store anything (unless you manually download data to your laptop). And if you have issues, you "power wash" the Chromebook back to fresh install (and the OS has good controls to prevent downloading viruses/spy into your OS).

-Bill
  • BB.
    And, I would never type anything on my computer that I don't want to see on a billboard on the nearby freeway (I may be tick'ed at the local/state/federal government or upset with the guy down the street--But I am sure not going to write/post stupid stuff on any network connected computer).

I am careful with online banking. And, so far, I have not had any problems there with accounts/credit cards/etc.

However, have a friend that has had some issues with (perhaps) online hacking of his bank accounts (as well as possible California DMV fraudulent ID issues in in name--DMV even "sold" his car for him when a clerk mistyped a VIN number).

And so far, he gets ZERO information from Banks, Home Depot, DVM, and even IRS (US Federal Internal Revenue Service) when reports problems--And sometimes he got his money back, other times, "still under investigation". It has been a big mess for him... And he was the guy that always uses old Windows XP (and now Win7) that have gone out of support... Don't know if related or not to security issues.

The old saying to use different passwords/logins for different websites, ad blockers to keep from downloading spyware, etc....

Much of the security losses have been based on "human factors engineering" (they convince a person to click on a bad link, download spyware from web/email, and even phone calls asking for information--Your SSI number will be canceled, Chinese Consulate has package for you, China will close your bank account if you do not send your money to them to "inspect" to make sure it is "legal", etc...

-Bill "hopefully all is OK tomorrow too" B.
  • BB.
    And I forgot to add... As far as I know, if you have a "legal" W7/W8 install, simply loading W10 over the existing install (or possibly even using the older W7/8 keys) W10 will still fully install and not ask for money.

And if you install W10 without any key, it limits a few functions (like changing your desktop background and such???). Overall, the W10 OS will work just fine (load software, browse the web, print, etc.).

-Bill
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    So no more microsoft office Bill?  I have to update a 2007 office and I sure would like to get 2016 office without the OEM hassel. It would be nice to get the discs and do 2 laptops. I can't see spending alot of money but I am exposed a bit on 2007 as the support has stopped.

Any hints appreciated!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Marc Kurth
    Dave,

As of this new laptop, i jumped from Office Professional  2007 to 2016. Bought it as an online download for $49.59 from https://www.appsute.com. It installed perfectly and it authenticated and registered on the Microsoft server. Did the same thing for my wife's new laptop year.
    After so many years with 2007, the new menu structures are a challenge when I'm in hurry.
    Marc

• softdown
    BB. said:
    And, I would never type anything on my computer that I don't want to see on a billboard on the nearby freeway (I may be tick'ed at the local/state/federal government or upset with the guy down the street--But I am sure not going to write/post stupid stuff on any network connected computer).

I am careful with online banking. And, so far, I have not had any problems there with accounts/credit cards/etc.

However, have a friend that has had some issues with (perhaps) online hacking of his bank accounts (as well as possible California DMV fraudulent ID issues in in name--DMV even "sold" his car for him when a clerk mistyped a VIN number).

And so far, he gets ZERO information from Banks, Home Depot, DVM, and even IRS (US Federal Internal Revenue Service) when reports problems--And sometimes he got his money back, other times, "still under investigation". It has been a big mess for him... And he was the guy that always uses old Windows XP (and now Win7) that have gone out of support... Don't know if related or not to security issues.

The old saying to use different passwords/logins for different websites, ad blockers to keep from downloading spyware, etc....

Much of the security losses have been based on "human factors engineering" (they convince a person to click on a bad link, download spyware from web/email, and even phone calls asking for information--Your SSI number will be canceled, Chinese Consulate has package for you, China will close your bank account if you do not send your money to them to "inspect" to make sure it is "legal", etc...

-Bill "hopefully all is OK tomorrow too" B.
    That is how democracy dies - in the darkness. 
    John Adams
  • BB.
    https://www.libreoffice.org/ (supposed to be the lighter weight/current version of OpenOffice--supposed to be "lighter weight)
    https://www.openoffice.org/ (original open source)

They work fine, and are available in multiple OS types... So, same software from Windows to LInux/Mac/Raspberry Pi... For LibreOffice (same and possibly others for OpenOffice).

I have used both, and they work fine for me. Have not worried bout MS Office for decade+.

-Bill
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave,

As of this new laptop, i jumped from Office Professional  2007 to 2016. Bought it as an online download for $49.59 from https://www.appsute.com. It installed perfectly and it authenticated and registered on the Microsoft server. Did the same thing for my wife's new laptop year.
    After so many years with 2007, the new menu structures are a challenge when I'm in hurry.
    Marc

Thanks Marc, I will give it a try. I need MS office for Schneider Electric and my wife needs it for UC master gardeners.
    Were you able to upload 2016 over 2007 office? Or did you have to delete it?

• Marc Kurth
    edited December 2019 #55
    Dave,

Marc

Thanks Marc, I will give it a try. I need MS office for Schneider Electric and my wife needs it for UC master gardeners.
    Were you able to upload 2016 over 2007 office? Or did you have to delete it?

Dave, The Microsoft install utility for 2016 left 2007 operational with the exception of Outlook. I did however "export" a copy of my Outlook personal folders (Inbox/Sent/Archive) as a .PST file. Then I imported it to 2016. I didn't trust a new install 100% so I did that on top of whatever it did. Being a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy with my data, I like that I can still open 2007 Excel, Word and Publisher if I want to - but I have not wanted to yet :-)  I will clean out the dead wood eventually.
    I am totally enamored with the speed of the SSD and faster USB ports on the new laptop. The  old laptop took 2 to 2.5 hours to create a complete mirror image of the hard drive, piped to an external drive via USB for backup. This one does it to the same external drive in 16-17 minutes. I don't even put my PC to sleep anymore, I just shut it down because it boots up up so fast.
    Marc

• Dave Angelini
    Same here on back-ups. I must have 4 clouds and 3 hp laptop pc's with 17" screens. I have liked win 10 since the start. Never had any issues other than cortana who I dislike immensely. I am all google, they own my soul and Alexa will take it all one day in a firefight.

The link looks good (thank-you) and I subscribed to see if they email me a deal. ;)

• Marc Kurth
    I never enabled Cortana on any PC and I have never tried Alexa. Don't have any interest. But a good friend of mine told me this one:
    "My wife asked why I started carrying a gun around the house. I told her that it was fear of the NSA,the CIA and other spies that we don't even know about. She Laughed, I laughed, Alexa Laughed. I shot Alexa."
  • Marc Kurth
    edited December 2019 #58
    Dave, Being out in the sticks without fiber/cable, we use cellular for web access which only gives us 35-45 Mbps down and 15 Mbps up.  So, now I also "clone" my hard drives weekly. It takes about 15-20 minutes unattended - so why not!  If I have a catastrophic failure, I can slip the clone right into a new computer with similar specs, or the same computer if it was just a drive failure. Yes, that decision was driven by a laptop going "poof" one morning a few years ago.
    Once you let the factory smoke out of the box, you can't put it back in :)  As I said, belt+suspenders.
  • Dave Angelini
    My brother does spook stuff for the Navy and so with the same last name I have given up on flying under the radar. Alexa is my MVP for music and she always amazes me finding rare cuts from my favorite rock and rollers. The smoke is always ready to come out. I think it happens alot less living offgrid ;) Put on some ZZ top B)   you tube is up there also for music!

Sorry Softdown for the hijack

• Marc Kurth
    I have a feeling that Softdown won't mind - he seems to be free-form thinker.
    Speaking of ZZ, Billy Gibbons turned 70 yesterday.  Long ago and far away, I was permitted to get a shot of Dusty and Billy hard at work.

• Dave Angelini
    Billy can play! Will try to find the vid of him talking about Jimi Hendrix. He got to play on stage with Hendrix somewhere down your way in the 60's. 
     Dusty and Billy with those beards and Frank Beard the drummer clean shaven. Love it!